Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-14-2018, 07:56 PM   #241
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
Premium paint cost an extra $200. No brainer on a 4 grand job eh?
Sorry, I guess my joke fell flat.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2018, 08:03 PM   #242
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
One of the advantages of getting older is that it is easier to buy lifetime paint.
did you get a discount on the reduced warranty coverage ??

You must learn from the mistakes of others. You can't possibly live long enough to make them all yourself.

Samuel Levenson
Oz investor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 08:13 PM   #243
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
sorry, i guess my joke fell flat.
i LOL'd
Scrapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 08:14 PM   #244
Give me a forum ...

I think so.

They gave me the senior discount but I think that was on the whole job as it was more than the extra charge for the paint.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 08:43 PM   #245
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Semi-gloss...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 08:58 PM   #246
Give me a forum ...

No, the paint is flat. Who would put semi gloss on a ceiling?
Old 09-14-2018, 09:56 PM   #247

Quote:
I think so.

They gave me the senior discount but I think that was on the whole job as it was more than the extra charge for the paint.
I think travelover was referencing the lifetime paint sold to Seniors. Seems like there should be a discount for reduced life expectancy. Perhaps you show ID and they prorate it.

Pull mama from the Nursing homes and get 90% off?

Live long and prosper
Scrapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 11:30 PM   #248
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
Of course, all these "stylish" kitchens have huge square footage. When you are working with your 1979 footprint, the over the range microwave is a life saver.

I'm thinking of a low profile version, like below, for my next one. Only problem with it is it sticks out a bit too much. It will vent outside (or inside, your choice). Because it is low profile, you have some head room above the stove for big pots.
That's the same Whirlpool Low-Profile model we installed about 3 weeks ago. So far, we're really happy with it, but ours also sticks out a ways from the cabinetry as in the photo. It's higher up for us (vs. the old monster we had in there before), so someone who's shorter may have a hard time reaching or viewing the contents.

The reason we did this is we wanted more open space above the cook top for big pots and greater visibility. No regrets for us, but now we're shopping new back splash to fill the open space.
Sarpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 11:13 AM   #249
Give me a forum ...

Painter is done and all looks very nice. He sprayed and then rolled for a nice even job. Six gallons of paint used. Flooring guys are over now doing the floor. 30 yr old carpet being replaced with premium 12.3 mm waterproof laminate over 3 mm foam underlayment. Supposed to be quiet. 800 sq-ft of laminate and weighs 1700 lbs.

On the home stretch!
Old 10-11-2018, 11:46 AM   #250
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Quote:
No, the paint is flat. Who would put semi gloss on a ceiling?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Semi-gloss...

I was cracking wise about the joke falling semi-gloss, rather than flat...

Another joke that fell flat!

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 02:04 PM   #251
Give me a forum ...

Our home improvement strategy was to move and downsize. We practiced expense avoidance. It worked in spades for us.

$75K for windows/skylights/sliders, $45K for a cedar roof, $80-$100K for a complete kitchen remodel including moving walls, $20K for each three bathrooms, and $40K for the master bedroom and walk in closets. Plus another $20K for flooring. And an additional 10 percent for cost over runs and change orders. Convinced us to flog the mausoleum and walk with the cash. We made the determination that we could not go halfway. It was all or nothing. We had completely renovated a previous so we were well aware of the effort and the costs if we decided to do some of it ourselves, or subK parts or all of it out. Plus the challenge of finding reliable, skilled trades. Istead, we cleaned it out, cut the grass, did the garden, and threw on 22 gallons of interior paint in a color with a view to selling as speced out by a decorator. That was enough of a home improvement for us.

Not to mention greatly reduced home insurance, mtce costs, and utility bills. Or trying to find reputable people to keep the driveway and sidewalks cleared of snow while we are away in the winter.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 03:03 PM   #252
Give me a forum ...

So far we have;

Kitchen - 11K, flooring - 7K, paint - 2K, landscaping - 12K, ceiling (popcorn removal & paint) 4K. More coming but me thinks less than what we've already paid. Should be under 80K total which is 20% of home value, so not bad. And I went for premium materials everywhere.

My house is only 1400 sq-ft, so already "rightsized" -
Old 10-11-2018, 03:17 PM   #253
Give me a forum ...

I am a firm believer in top quality materials. Never could understand why anyone would buy cheap paint unless it was for a rental or prior to a move. Same in spades for flooring. We have done lots of renos. If we were putting our sweat and capital into the project the last thing we wanted was materials that looked cheap or did not stand the test of time.

The challenge that we often had was finding good wood. Most of the prime product produced in our area goes to export. Many of the home improvement type stores here end up with grade 3 product. Lots of knots, scores, and not even properly kiln dried.

During my working career I dealt extensively with the forest industry. I toured many lumber operations and got to see what went for export, what went direct to some wholesalers, and then the grade 3 product that was snapped up by some of the home improvement stores. Huge differences, in quality as well as price. The product that went to Japan was primo product-all of from dimensional to sheet products.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 03:21 PM   #254

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett View Post
I am a firm believer in top quality materials. Never could understand why anyone would buy cheap paint unless it was for a rental or prior to a move. Same in spades for flooring....we wanted the last thing we wanted was materials that looked cheap or did not stand the test of time.
Exactly! I moved into a condo with beautiful new tiles in the kitchen and entryway. After 5 years, the pattern on the tiles started to wear off....waste of time and money! I also ripped out the cheapest carpet available (brand new) and installed solid bamboo flooring instead.

Of course, the seller saved a few $ before he sold to me!
HI Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 03:25 PM   #255
Give me a forum ...

+1 the incremental cost of better materials is usually insignificant in relation to the value that they add... and the installation cost is typically the same.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 03:52 PM   #256
Give me a forum ...

Ah, forgot about the 4K sliding Milgard double pane with the built in dog door. That was one of the first upgrades.
Old 10-11-2018, 04:30 PM   #257
Give me a forum ...

Flooring going in, looks good!

Old 10-11-2018, 05:36 PM   #258
Moderator Emeritus

Nice floor Robbie! Very similar to ours. Just starting to move furniture back in. I still have several rooms of baseboard to paint, some plumbing, paint stairway and install a stainless steel railing. It never ends.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 30459DE4-03BB-4962-813B-77EFCC96C606.jpg (604.0 KB, 48 views)
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 06:22 PM   #259
Give me a forum ...

Nice room!
Old 10-12-2018, 07:12 AM   #260

So, anyone got tips on prepping a smoker's home for sale?

Online it's recommended to wash down every hard surface with a TSP solution, then paint with oil primer (maybe two coats) before top coat.

Don't have much money to spend, so right now I'm thinking rip out everything fabric (e.g. drapes/carpet) & rent an ozone generator for a few weeks. Maybe duct cleaning as well?
ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote