Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-08-2018, 12:18 PM   #181
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
Yeah, greys are all the rage right now. Neither of us like them so we're going with earthtones.
Ugh...gray, gray, gray. It's all over the damn place and I am sick to death of seeing in every single house on the market!!!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2018, 12:25 PM   #182
Moderator Emeritus

I think grays look really cool. But for a house I am going to live in, I prefer earthtones. I think they are supposed to be outdated but I don't really care about that.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 12:03 PM   #183
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Ceiling work - removal, retexture and paint will be done by pros. Thirty eight hundred bucks for the whole house about 1200 sq-ft which is minus the kitchen and bathrooms.
Excellent! Almost all popcorn ceilings have asbsestos in them. I had to remove a very small amount (about 8 square inches), and it was super easy, but I was very worried about making those fibers go airborne! I did wet it down copiously, and caught all of the 'fallout'.
HI Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 12:09 PM   #184
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HNL Bill View Post
Excellent! Almost all popcorn ceilings have asbsestos in them. I had to remove a very small amount (about 8 square inches), and it was super easy, but I was very worried about making those fibers go airborne! I did wet it down copiously, and caught all of the 'fallout'.
No. Depends on the date. Perhaps before 1979 "almost all" qualifies. After that, it depends.

I had mine tested before I did the scraping. I also had my mastic glue holding down the parquet floor tested.

There are plenty of late 80's early 90's houses around here with popcorn and you can say "almost none".
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 12:16 PM   #185
Give me a forum ...

The screen/security door is in looks good and works well. Just need to extend the threshold a bit as I had to build it out so the handles wouldn't hit. A plate was provided I just have to build the support.

I really like this thing. It looks just like a screen door but has a strong frame with heavy duty SS mesh that will never need to be replaced and a triple latching lock. Doesn't have the "prison bars" look at all.

Pic after I get the threshold done -
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 12:28 PM   #186

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
No. Depends on the date. Perhaps before 1979 "almost all" qualifies. After that, it depends.

I had mine tested before I did the scraping. I also had my mastic glue holding down the parquet floor tested.

There are plenty of late 80's early 90's houses around here with popcorn and you can say "almost none".
Thanks! I've done a fair amount of asbestos sample collection, but all on older structures, so it's always present in those (at least all that I tested). Good to know that after '79, you may be safe, but regardless of the date, I'd have it tested if you're trying to avoid abatement costs!
HI Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 12:41 PM   #187

When you remove the popcorn, does that increase the echos in a large room with a cathedral ceiling?
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 01:03 PM   #188
Give me a forum ...

I think so. They are also called "accoustic" ceilings.

I don't mind them, I think they are kinda cool but Kelly hates them so...
Old 07-09-2018, 01:06 PM   #189
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
When you remove the popcorn, does that increase the echos in a large room with a cathedral ceiling?
I can't comment on cathedrals. Only 8ft ceilings. For 8ft, I'd say "little to no effect." The acoustic properties are there, but they were oversold. The real reason they used this stuff was to take short cuts in building. Ceilings are difficult to finish. They show everything. For this I say Robbie's finishers have great confidence to put a little gloss on the finish and it makes his quoted cost even a better deal.

Like someone else mentioned, the 1/8" of popcorn appears to lower the ceiling by more than 1/8". Something about shadows. When I removed it, the 8 ft. ceilings suddenly looked much higher. I curse this stuff! For a while, it was new, so it was all the rage. Once people lived with it (and had to repair it!), the downsides were realized and now it is one of the most hated features of older homes.

My house is from 1980 and in that transitional window, so I had the popcorn tested for asbestos. It is easy to do. You just send off a sample and get your answer in a few days. The cost was very modest to test.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 01:48 PM   #190
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Our house was built in the mid 80's, and we did get our popcorn tested before scraping also and found no asbestos.
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 02:06 PM   #191

Quote:
I can't comment on cathedrals. Only 8ft ceilings. For 8ft, I'd say "little to no effect." The acoustic properties are there, but they were oversold. The real reason they used this stuff was to take short cuts in building. Ceilings are difficult to finish. They show everything. For this I say Robbie's finishers have great confidence to put a little gloss on the finish and it makes his quoted cost even a better deal.

Like someone else mentioned, the 1/8" of popcorn appears to lower the ceiling by more than 1/8". Something about shadows. When I removed it, the 8 ft. ceilings suddenly looked much higher. I curse this stuff! For a while, it was new, so it was all the rage. Once people lived with it (and had to repair it!), the downsides were realized and now it is one of the most hated features of older homes.

My house is from 1980 and in that transitional window, so I had the popcorn tested for asbestos. It is easy to do. You just send off a sample and get your answer in a few days. The cost was very modest to test.
I am leaning toward not doing the popcorn. Every house I have owned since in the seventies has had the stuff. I had to patch a hole in the last house and getting the patch to look reasonable was a real pain. The home theater is getting major sound proofing, but no plans for popcorn cieling. Only a nice popcorn popping machine!
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 12:13 PM   #192
Give me a forum ...

Security screen door installed by yours truly;

Old 07-10-2018, 01:33 PM   #193

Nice!
Old 07-10-2018, 01:49 PM   #194
Give me a forum ...

Thanks! I think so too. Was a lot of work, I had to build out the trim so the handles would clear. They included a long threshold plate that worked well to finish it off.

Got some 1 inch quarter round molding ordered up to give it that "finished" look. When that comes I'll paint and install and paint the space between the doors too.
Old 07-10-2018, 04:09 PM   #195
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Thanks! I think so too. Was a lot of work, I had to build out the trim so the handles would clear. They included a long threshold plate that worked well to finish it off.

Got some 1 inch quarter round molding ordered up to give it that "finished" look. When that comes I'll paint and install and paint the space between the doors too.

Nice choice and nice look. You are on fire with your improvements!
USA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 10:07 AM   #196
Full time employment: Posting here.

I’ve got about 15 guys crawling all over the inside and outside of my house. Doing a whole house window replacement on my 25 year old house. Twenty four insulated glass windows, upstairs and down. I’m amazed at how quickly they are progressing. Should have the whole thing finished today.

Next up, all new window coverings. DW wants Plantation Shutters. Will also be ordering a new front door unit with side lights and transom above.

Blow the dough!!
txtig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 10:10 AM   #197

IMG_1447.JPGIMG_1448.JPG
This is what it looks like now.
txtig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 11:28 AM   #198
Moderator Emeritus

Gorgeous, txtig!
Old 07-11-2018, 11:49 AM   #199
Give me a forum ...

Sounds like a good investment for a good house!

I've only replaced one window (sliding glass door) with the low e double pane, but it was big and very leaky. Saving lots of energy this year -
Old 07-11-2018, 01:07 PM   #200

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtig View Post
Next up, all new window coverings. DW wants Plantation Shutters.
Plantation Shutters = Blow that dough for sure, especially for 24 windows! Will look great though.
Carpediem is offline   Reply With Quote