Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-07-2021, 09:33 AM   #161
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ychuck46 View Post
Thank you, sir!
Of course I was joking and I hope this didn't sound disrespectful, I just find this technique so amazing. They first go up the tree with a friction harness holding their feet and body to the trunk, and cut away any branch that's in their way up. When they reach the top, they go down again, cutting the trunk above them in 5 foot increments. It's supposedly even "quite safe" since the higher up they are, the body weight the trunk has to carry is a smaller and smaller fraction of the weight of the branches they have already cut off. And there is never a single large trunk coming down that may hit things far away on the ground.

Here is a version of a US crew doing it, using boot cleats instead of a separate foot harness, and not quite as wild as in the picture but looking a bit safer. Of course I still would never want to try it, especially handling a chain saw up there. But then that's me, and I am not my 20 year old former self anymore either...

Leo1277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2021, 07:06 AM   #162
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo1277 View Post
Of course I still would never want to try it, especially handling a chain saw up there. But then that's me, and I am not my 20 year old former self anymore either...
My father was unimpressed with my skills on a ladder when I was 20.
Out of Steam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 07:59 AM   #163
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We had a big long needle pine and a spruce taken down in our backyard a couple years ago - the trimmer went up leaving branch stubs. I was snooty faced at how far from the trunk he was cutting the branches - not tidy at all. Then he got up a ways and started dallying a couple loops around the stubs he had left so he could lower the branch and trunk sections down rather than dropping them into the lawn and leaving great divots. Smarter, safer, and all around better than me. Armando works part of the year fighting fire, the rest clambering around in trees wearing hooks and with a running chainsaw dangling from his belt. Hats off to him - he and his crew earn their money!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 427.jpg (452.1 KB, 24 views)
Old 03-11-2021, 08:35 AM   #164
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
We had a big long needle pine and a spruce taken down in our backyard a couple years ago - the trimmer went up leaving branch stubs. I was snooty faced at how far from the trunk he was cutting the branches - not tidy at all. Then he got up a ways and started dallying a couple loops around the stubs he had left so he could lower the branch and trunk sections down rather than dropping them into the lawn and leaving great divots. Smarter, safer, and all around better than me. Armando works part of the year fighting fire, the rest clambering around in trees wearing hooks and with a running chainsaw dangling from his belt. Hats off to him - he and his crew earn their money!
Thanks for this, especially including the impressive picture. This guy Armando really seems incredibly skillful, and I find it interesting to see that also in the US, this technique is apparently also used at least sometimes.
Old 03-11-2021, 08:39 AM   #165
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo1277 View Post
Thanks for this, especially including the impressive picture. This guy Armando really seems incredibly skillful, and I find it interesting to see that also in the US, this technique is apparently also used at least sometimes.
What I see in our neck of the woods is when an experienced tree cutter goes on his own, he employs this technique. Without a lot of equipment (cranes, bucket trucks), he has no choice.

I watched one small wildcat cutter like this spend 3 weeks at a house cutting trees that would have taken a major tree crew less than 1 day to accomplish.

JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 09:03 AM   #166
Recycles dryer sheets

Along the lines of the bottoms-up tree cutting, one of the regular maintenance issues here in Florida is removing coconuts. These coconut palms are everywhere, after all they are one of the most beautiful and iconic plants of the tropical world. But a coconut falling down from up high (say 30-50 feet) is really dangerous, so coconut palms along streets need very regular maintenance, and also in residential areas, it is needed at least once a year because coconuts can become missiles in hurricanes.

Nowadays they do this mostly with bucket trucks, but because of all the equipment needed and having to get it all to the back yard, it's expensive and cumbersome. Once when I got it done, the company guy told me that not too long ago, they used monkeys to do this. But tending a monkey crew humanely (or should one say, "monkeyly"?) is a project in itself, so the monkey method is not used much in Florida anymore. But in other parts of the world, the method is alive and well:
Old 03-11-2021, 09:38 AM   #167
Recycles dryer sheets

My favorite neighbor here is from Jamaica, and he oozes coolness and kindness while at the same time being very funny and charismatic. He just turned 80, and I often enjoy listening to his stories from the Caribbean of the past, and also his knowledge and enjoyment of Calypso and Reggae. He told me that when he was young, or "younger" as he would put it, he had no problem climbing coconut trees and getting the nuts that way. And even nowadays, you can still sometimes find some island natives who harvest the coconuts for free if they are allowed to keep them. Again, this isn't anything that even my 20 year old self would have ever dared to try, but apparently, if you are of the right spirit and attitude, it's not that hard, see here:
Old 03-11-2021, 10:00 AM   #168
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
What I see in our neck of the woods is when an experienced tree cutter goes on his own, he employs this technique. Without a lot of equipment (cranes, bucket trucks), he has no choice.

I watched one small wildcat cutter like this spend 3 weeks at a house cutting trees that would have taken a major tree crew less than 1 day to accomplish.
3 weeks? think it says more about the cutter than the equipment. This was done to bid rather than by the hour, but Armando spent under 6 hours to take down a big long needle pine and a smaller spruce (the one in the photo), a 8" small fir, and some cedar branches and bamboo while his 2-man ground crew chipped everything but the big stuff up - and that got turned into firewood lengths!

As for me, I'm handy with money. 472.jpg

This is the neighbor having him trim a big old leaning oak - 4'+ diameter trunk and heavy wood. Took a bit more rigging. Back 35 years or so I trimmed some branches from that oak when I owned the place. Did it very thoughtfully and neatly managed to drop a chunk of limb onto the old front porch which extended across the front of the house. Put that porch right on the ground and insurance, to my amazement, paid to have the porch replaced (a corner visible in the photo). Stupidity insurance - who'd a thunk it!
Old 03-12-2021, 04:31 AM   #169
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
3 weeks? think it says more about the cutter than the equipment.
One man, 15 very large trees as in the original picture. No branch shredder.

Take down tree, haul away wood in small dump truck. Rinse and repeat for multiple days.

It was like watching paint dry.

However, the homeowner saved over $5k by having this guy do it.

Old 03-12-2021, 04:37 AM   #170
Moderator Emeritus

I worked on some highway projects with these guys - they would defoliate the right of way in no time. Big cutters and chippers taking out 30" trees with no problem.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 04:42 AM   #171
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
I worked on some highway projects with these guys - they would defoliate the right of way in no time. Big cutters and chippers taking out 30" trees with no problem. https://homertree.com/mass-land-clea...land-clearing/
This is like 100% opposite of the one guy method.

I've seen these crews here too. Almost no need to get out of a cab. Grab the tree and cut it off, bring it over to the grinder and done. Some of the grinders are the size of large above ground backyard pools. A person falling into one would be killed in seconds, hence why they do it all from the safety of their automated equipment. Impressive stuff.

Old 03-12-2021, 07:24 AM   #172
Recycles dryer sheets

As for chainsaw work, when I was in highschool my friend's brother was an emergency room nurse and occasionally told us ER (horror) stories. He said one day the rescue squad brought in a man who was in a tree cutting limbs and fell while holding a running chainsaw. I don't remember the specific details, other than the chainsaw really tore him up!
NateW is offline   Reply With Quote