Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-03-2021, 06:14 AM   #41

One word of encouragement for those who may be nervous about aging in place. The last two people who moved away from my street were both in their 90s and doing fairly well. They were both still driving and shopping on their own. We still have several in their 80s who are also doing well. One likes to say the only way they'll get him out of his home is with a toe tag attached.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2021, 06:46 AM   #42
Full time employment: Posting here.

Gee, all this talk about ladders is scary! We just spent last summer fixing all the things around dad's house and the property (about 3 1/2 acres, of which about 2 1/2 is usable) and a lot of that involved ladder work - gutters for two houses (something we actually do regularly because we live under large oak trees - lots of leaves!) and lots of tree work (with ladders and chain saws.) We didn't think a thing of it, and it sounds like we should have!

I've been thinking lately about getting gutter covers for both houses, which will help a lot, and the tree work is pretty much done, and we will hire out anything that involves a high ladder from here on out. All your ladder stories have scared me - into sanity (smile!)

Getting gutter covers (a big expense) depends on the decision we have to make as to whether or not will we stay here. Dad passed away last month, and his house and our house is on the same property, so we have two houses to maintain. We've got the property to maintenance level, thank goodness, and we enjoy the work (including lots of mowing!) So far we are capable of it, but we need to do more thoughtful planning about the future.

The main issue for us is that if we sell, there's really no place anywhere near us that we can afford to buy that is comparable to this place. We love living in the country (about 5 miles from the nearest small town but about 25 miles from the nearest hospital.) Anything in town is way too expensive. We'd realistically have to move to another state, and so far we aren't ready to do that.

Decisions, decisions...sigh...
CindyBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 06:46 AM   #43

I'm 66 and my wife is 63 and we are still doing almost almost all of our yard work and basic inside cleaning and maintenance. My attitude about lawn mowing is that I am going to do it until I can't because it guarantees me that I will get some exercise at least once a week during mowing season (which generally runs from late March to mid November here). I'm still in good enough physical condition to do that but I'm not in denial that some day I won't be. We also still shovel our own snow but that is only 2-3 times a year here. Some day we'll have to farm that out as well. We'll know when the time comes.

As for other home maintenance, I've been hiring out more and more as the years have gone by. 25 years ago I remodeled a half bath by myself including doing the plumbing. Now I wouldn't think of doing that. For many things I used to do myself I now hire a handyman because (a) I can afford it and (b) many things I could do 20 years ago are now difficult or unsafe for me to do today. I just try to be honest with myself about what I can and cannot do as I age.
jldavid47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 06:57 AM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystang52 View Post
... I pay a premium to have my salt delivered and loaded into my water softener. Those 40 pound bags are just too cumbersome, and it's worth every penny to me. ...
Water softener salt is now available in 25 pound bags. Much easier to handle. : )
Lewis Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 07:00 AM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

I've been thinking lately about getting gutter covers for both houses, which will help a lot, and the tree work is pretty much done, and we will hire out anything that involves a high ladder from here on out. All your ladder stories have scared me - into sanity (smile!)

Getting gutter covers (a big expense) depends on the decision we have to make as to whether or not will we stay here. Dad passed away last month, and his house and our house is on the same property, so we have two houses to maintain. We've got the property to maintenance level, thank goodness, and we enjoy the work (including lots of mowing!) So far we are capable of it, but we need to do more thoughtful planning about the future.

Decisions, decisions...sigh...[/QUOTE]
This is the second house I’ve put those foam gutter fillers in(think pool noodle). Easy to put in. Seem to work well. Not too many big trees at this house, but other house had big maples around it. Don’t know how they’d be for pine needles
Rushmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 07:04 AM   #46
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I still use ladders, at least for a few more years. I check on my roof twice a year. It requires an extension ladder. I also recently replaced a roof penetration with decking and shingles. Yet, I see a time a few years off when I hire a guy.

Ladder safety requires a long checklist. Among them is a firm stance at the proper angle, and no interference from dynamic objects such as people, pets and falling objects. A tree branch is a falling object and acts unexpectedly. A tree trunk does not provide a firm stance. There are many problems with ladders and trees.

Here's a short 19 second accident. Although the branch unexpectedly hits the man directly, it could have just as easily hit the ground and bounced back to the ladder, causing the ladder to go sideways. This unexpected action of the falling branch is the most common way to kill yourself on a ladder while working with trees. Also note the man "holding the ladder for safety" is a do-nothing. He bails, and probably would have bailed if the branch was hitting the ladder directly. Holding a ladder is a warning sign.

JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 07:07 AM   #47

This is the second house I’ve put those foam gutter fillers in(think pool noodle). Easy to put in. Seem to work well. Not too many big trees at this house, but other house had big maples around it. Don’t know how they’d be for pine needles[/QUOTE]

I've never heard of these. I can't figure out how "pool noodles" would let the water into the gutter rather than just pouring water over the side of the gutter. Would you mind giving me a name of a product like that so I can look it up?
Old 02-03-2021, 07:11 AM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
We have both high end and low end outsources. Painter must clean up though. Everything they do, I used to do so I am a tough customer. Plumbing was the first job I outsourced many years ago.
Old 02-03-2021, 07:19 AM   #49

Has anyone used these "Slimguard" gutter covers? They look easy to install...

https://www.cwcsupplyusa.com/slimguard5kstyle.aspx
Old 02-03-2021, 07:30 AM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyBlue View Post
I've never heard of these. I can't figure out how "pool noodles" would let the water into the gutter rather than just pouring water over the side of the gutter. Would you mind giving me a name of a product like that so I can look it up?
The foam acts like the foam used in a sponge. A sponge lets water go through, a pool noodle repels water.
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 07:41 AM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
Not afraid of ladders to get on roof. Buy good (expensive) ladders rated way over my weight.

Extension ladder is braced on the bottom by concrete pavers and tied to the gutter on top with bungee. Not moving back or side to side.

Hiring out tree work. Not going up unsupported ladders with chain saw in hand -
Ladders and trees don't mix.

I'm still using ladders but I'm still relatively young 58 and have a lifetime of experience. My ladder has a wider base that makes it more stable, I always ensure the base is solid and has the the right amount of lean, and I always attach it to the eavestroughs. If I'm setting a ladder on grass or soft ground I use a "regular" ladder and flip the rubber feet over so that the edge digs into the ground:

ladder.jpg
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 07:44 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Lover View Post
Ladders and trees don't mix.

I'm still using ladders but I'm still relatively young 58 and have a lifetime of experience. My ladder has a wider base that makes it more stable, I always ensure the base is solid and has the the right amount of lean, and I always attach it to the eavestroughs. If I'm setting a ladder on grass or soft ground I use a "regular" ladder and flip the rubber feet over so that the edge digs into the ground:

Attachment 37595
That's a great idea! Thanks!

I've had a good time calculating the amount of distance the tree branch will rise after I've cut off the end, dictating where I'll place the ladder when I have to lean it on the branch. So far (knock on wood) I've done it right, with lots of room to spare (I'm very cautious!) I always attach the ladder to the branch with a rope in a way that when the branch rises, I'm still attached without any pull back, but enough to hold the ladder if it needs it. And my hubby is always holding the ladder at the base.

I know, I know, it's still not safe, but I took the risk because the work had to be done. I've been a country girl for all my life, so I'm pretty familiar with chain saws and ladders. But...I think the time has come to hire someone if we need to do any more major tree work...sigh...(smile!)

We've pretty much done all the tree work we need to do as of last fall - unless, of course (knock on wood again), a tree does down in a storm.
Old 02-03-2021, 07:44 AM   #53

Gutters are another benefit of a single story house. If I had to clean my gutters, I think my feet would only be about three feet off the ground. However, I have the larger gutters. I think they’re 4 or 5 inches, not sure, but they’re larger than the standard gutters I’ve had in the past. Everything just flows through with a heavy rain. If I had to clean my gutters, it rig up something to my leaf blower so that I could blow them out while my feet stay on the ground. Gutter screens would be nice but I’d worry about adding another piece to the puzzle that could potentially need maintenance or replacement. Also wonder if those could create ice issues in the winter in northern climates.
Old 02-03-2021, 07:45 AM   #54

Hiring for a service seems a bit easier with a neighborhood network like Nextdoor or the like. Real people experience weeds out bad service with honest reviews imo.
Surewhitey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 07:54 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
Gutters are another benefit of a single story house. If I had to clean my gutters, I think my feet would only be about three feet off the ground. However, I have the larger gutters. I think they’re 4 or 5 inches, not sure, but they’re larger than the standard gutters I’ve had in the past. Everything just flows through with a heavy rain. If I had to clean my gutters, it rig up something to my leaf blower so that I could blow them out while my feet stay on the ground. Gutter screens would be nice but I’d worry about adding another piece to the puzzle that could potentially need maintenance or replacement. Also wonder if those could create ice issues in the winter in northern climates.
I've tried using my blower to blow out the leaves, but it doesn't do a very good job because the stuff at the bottom of the gutters is wet, and doesn't blow out well. Just this year I tried using my power washer, but I've got an old one that doesn't have a curved nozzle attachment that wold clean out the gutters, so I had to go up on the ladder anyway. Might be time to get a new power washer!
Old 02-03-2021, 08:18 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
Not afraid of ladders to get on roof. Buy good (expensive) ladders rated way over my weight.
I have a heavy duty ladder with levelers and a one story house on a flat lot. Believe I have a few more years of being able to clean the gutters.
Out of Steam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 08:58 AM   #57
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
This is the second house I’ve put those foam gutter fillers in(think pool noodle). Easy to put in. Seem to work well. Not too many big trees at this house, but other house had big maples around it. Don’t know how they’d be for pine needles
I've never heard of these. I can't figure out how "pool noodles" would let the water into the gutter rather than just pouring water over the side of the gutter. Would you mind giving me a name of a product like that so I can look it up?[/QUOTE]

It’s not a pool noodle, but kinda looks like one. It’s a lot less dense foam which allows the water thru and not the leaves. Think plastic Brillo pad ! The leaves dry and fly off. I bought mine at menards a couple of years ago. At that time Lowe’s also carried them . Took my brother less than 1/2 hour to put them in my gutters. House is about 1400sqf. Sorry I don’t know the name of them. It’s been 5 years ago
Rushmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 09:13 AM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Has anyone used these "Slimguard" gutter covers? They look easy to install...

https://www.cwcsupplyusa.com/slimguard5kstyle.aspx
I tested this similar but different one and then installed them on my rental that I had to clean every year. After I installed them, the next year, there was nothing to clean.

https://www.menards.com/main/buildin...3809628&ipos=6

The IMPORTANT thing is to get the ones that have screen over the holes, as the company also sells them without the screen.

They are cheap at $0.65/ft and work amazingly well. Also easy to remove/replace if you need to do any work.

This property is in a cold region that gets a lot of snow, so they hold up well to snow issues.
Old 02-03-2021, 09:15 AM   #59

Quote:
One brand is "gutterstuff." (https://gutterstuff.com). I highly recommend these. They are a very coarse sponge, that lets the water through, but not the leaves. What happens is that some leaves temporarily accumulate on top of the foam, then they blow off when they dry out. I have not had to clean gutters for many years now.
Out-to-Lunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 09:16 AM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Out of Steam View Post
I have a heavy duty ladder with levelers and a one story house on a flat lot. Believe I have a few more years of being able to clean the gutters.
One story is practically nothing, I used to jump down from the 1 story roof to the ground.

Still, a low cost solution to eliminate gutter cleaning is worth it, just for eliminating the hassle.