Hood River, OR to Goldendale, WA

stephenson

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Did a quick tour last month that included Portland, OR to Seattle - really enjoyed the mix of and landscape between Hood River and Goldendale ... Columia River area. A bit of everything ... and, so different from east coast,

Anyone know much about the area?

I am considering looking for a little house on property to spend a couple of months a year ...

Thanks!

Hood River is a very popular place for the wind surfing crowd. Although housing prices have dropped like a stone consider renting for such a short stay. One could buy a little house and rent to visitors BUT wind surfers tend to be single young males who may not be the best tenants.

Need I say that the wind whistles through the Columbia River Gorge during the winter too... often at high velocity and low temperature? I-84 is very dicy during those conditions.

I drove along the Gorge one fall years ago, although I think I was a little west of where you were, going from Vancouver to White Salmon on Washington State Highway 14. It was really gorgeous—the leaves were turning, and I recall just by Stevenson WA driving in and out of a small rainstorm as the road wound around through the hills, resulting in rainbows all over the place. Route 14 is for those who are more interested in the scenery than speed. As I recall, once you get east of about Camas, it is a narrow winding road, with only one lane each way. There are a number of bridges over the Columbia, so it's possible to go on Hy 14 one direction for scenery, cross over to Oregon, and take the Interstate on the way home. (Might as well, in the fall it will be dark by the time you are coming home anyway :) )

If you want a nicer ride, take 142 from Lyle the back way into Goldendale...lots of nice little towns and a good drive. Goldendale seems to be coming back a little bit.....kind of a depressed area but I think the retiring community has brought it back a bit. It is fairly close to the Columbia river....but far enough away it doesn't get the worst of the wind since it is sitting OUT of the gorge. Good 4 seasons.

The OR income tax won't come into play unless the poster becomes a resident or earns income in OR.

Sales tax applies to WA purchases (waver is only applicable to residents of a few states for goods taken out of the state), or goods put in place in WA if the revenue folks become aware (which is why the Costco store near PDX does such fantastic volume).

NOTE: there is a real estate transfer tax in WA that is no small nut, but nothing similar in OR.

When it comes to taxes for a given level of services it is "pay me now or pay me later".

Thanks for the responses, everyone ... alway helpful to hear other opinions and thoughts.

Wife and I like to stay busy - not much at consistent golfing, of fishing, or boating ... like a mix, but also both like to putter around and refurb houses ... figured a couple of months would allow it all to work out.

Agree on weather in winter - think we would be fair weather part time residents only :)

We spent Sunday night at an RV Park in Goldendale on our way back from Wallowa Lake and had a site overlooking the Columbia River. We were so impressed with this area that we plan to spend a week in Goldendale at some future date. Don't know anything about Hood River, though.

Attachments

• Wallowa Lake 275.jpg
    Wallowa Lake 275.jpg
    1,007.1 KB · Views: 1
  • Wallowa Lake 269.jpg
    Wallowa Lake 269.jpg
    605.7 KB · Views: 2
Hey - I recognize the boat! That should be the Cruise West ship "Spirit 98" which cruises the Columbia River and the Snake River all the way to Hells Canyon. Columbia River Cruises - Follow Lewis & Clark journey with Cruise West

Hey - was that Maryhill State Park on the river near Goldendale, or the Peach orchard RV park next door? We've stayed there too.

Hood River is a very cool town. A bit $$$. Awesome restaurants. Full Sail Brewery. Incredible views of both Mt Adams and Mt Hood when the clouds lift.

We camped quite a bit at the Memaloose State Park - very convenient.

Worth going to Discovery Museum near The Dalles, and driving the awesome Historic Columbia River Highway.

lookout_view2.jpg

gooseneck_loop.jpg

Audrey

If in Goldendale, I recommend a visit to the public observatory. 24.5 inch telescope, a friendly operator/tour guide, and fairly dark skies. Very nice for anyone interested in out-of-this-world views :)

Goldendale Observatory State Park

Steve

Now you know why the Pacific NW is my passion. Yes, we whine about our weather but ... we can always find the sun just over a hill.

Don't tell a soul, however. Those of us whose ancestors drove oxen on the trail want to keep that a secret.

If in Goldendale, I recommend a visit to the public observatory. 24.5 inch telescope, a friendly operator/tour guide, and fairly dark skies. Very nice for anyone interested in out-of-this-world views :)

Goldendale Observatory State Park

Steve

TRES COOL! We were there several years ago with the kids. It was wonderful!

There was talk that it would be closed by the state, though. Call ahead.

Back to the subject at hand, buy your property where it is cheapest. The other place is only just across the river, y'know. :)

Be very careful about the zoning, there are view restrictions in many parts of the Columbia River Gorge. Were I in the market I would buy property with a home already in use, even if it is a real 'fixer'. Have the well and septic system thoroughly checked (particularly the well). In that way many of the major risks of buying unimproved property in that area are covered. If you remodel a structure in 20% or less increments you don't need to bring the whole site up to code.

Be very careful about the zoning, there are view restrictions in many parts of the Columbia River Gorge. Were I in the market I would buy property with a home already in use, even if it is a real 'fixer'. Have the well and septic system thoroughly checked (particularly the well). In that way many of the major risks of buying unimproved property in that area are covered. If you remodel a structure in 20% or less increments you don't need to bring the whole site up to code.
AH! Wisdom from one who knows!

I didn't know that myself. This is going into my files.

Hey - I recognize the boat! That should be the Cruise West ship "Spirit 98" which cruises the Columbia River and the Snake River all the way to Hells Canyon. Columbia River Cruises - Follow Lewis & Clark journey with Cruise West

Hey - was that Maryhill State Park on the river near Goldendale, or the Peach orchard RV park next door? We've stayed there too.

lookout_view2.jpg

gooseneck_loop.jpg

Audrey

The park was called "Peach Beach Campark" (interesting name). DW and I walked through the state RV park next door and thought it was extremely nice too. There were lots of shade trees.

AH! Wisdom from one who knows!

I didn't know that myself. This is going into my files.

I learned that from my smart hubby and from the concerns of homeowners in my former community. It is really tough to sell a home to someone who needs a mortgage if it is on a well and has a septic system. Responsible mortgage writers insist on an OK by the health department. A failed well is very bad news and water rights were worth killing for not long ago. DOCUMENT and understand your water rights.

It is smart for many reasons to remodel incrementally, have a master plan but don't show your hand to the building department. Get a building permit for your small chunk, do the work and have it signed off. Next year do another small chunk the same way. Your wallet and your spouse will be happy.

The park was called "Peach Beach Campark" (interesting name). DW and I walked through the state RV park next door and thought it was extremely nice too. There were lots of shade trees.
Yep - that's the one I thought. We have stayed at the park next door - really a corps of engineers park, so easily accommodated our big rig - but really hard to get a reservation - it stays full.

We stayed one year during peach season! Just walked down the road and picked ripe peaches off the tree. We asked first, of course! Picking your own was cheaper - but the important thing was they were riper! Pack carefully, and they still last a good long while. (My Granddad had a peach farm so I knows all the tricks!)

Check out the gravel "beach" along the Columbia River (taken at the park):

columbia_river_rocks.jpg

Audrey

Back
Top Bottom