Hotels in Rome

If you want to go to the Vatican by bus, there's a bus stop a few blocks from the Lancelot. Just make sure you are headed the right direction. We didn't so we got a wonderful free tour of industrial Rome. We couldn't find anybody on the bus who spoke English so we rode right to the end of the line. Of course, the bus returned by the same route so we did end up at the Vatican. We did see the Pope (he gives a public mass every Weds but they close down the cathederal for most of the day). I got a nice picture of my wife (a once upon a time good Catholic girl) with the Pope in the background. We saw the Sistine Chapel (surprisingly small) after walking miles and miles through corridors lined with art treasures. Looked like the Vatican got everything that the British didn't steal and put in the British Museum. About mid way, there is a nice little outdoor cafe where you can rest your feet and enjoy a cup of coffee. Afterwards, there are nice street cafes for lunch just across the street.

The only drawback to using Rome's pubic transit systemare the pickpockets. They thrive in crowded conditions.

DW and I went to Rome two years ago. We stayed in a timeshare condo near the Spanish Steps. We used the subway and public buses to get around when we weren't walking. The trip to the Vatican was a very easy subway ride away. Easy to use and super-cheap when you buy a weekly pass.

We were warned about pickpockets in advance and strapped our possessions under our clothing.

ScaredtoQuit said:
We were warned about pickpockets in advance and strapped our possessions under our clothing.

We were warned also, but never had a problem.

Just keep your wits about you and try to have a bit of "street sense" as you would in any big, crowded city.. being aware of who's around you. Terribly un-PC but you do need to steer as clear as possible from the "zingari" aka Rom aka gypsies; their main source of income is stealing and they especially send little kids out to beg and pick-pocket. You have to be a little more aware in crowded tourist areas since (like Willie Sutton said) "that's where the money is".

I've walked all over Rome (even lived there for a year-and-a-half) and never really felt unsafe. You'll probably be way safer than in Texas where everyone is armed (or seems to be)!! Here the use of firearms is not very common.

http://www.nationmaster.com/country/it-italy/cri-crime
Crime stats.. the various crime rates seem to be about 1/3 -1/4 that in the US overall.. of course I assume they aren't counting tax evasion.. ;) ;) ;)

Have a great trip!

bennevis said:
We were warned also, but never had a problem.

We saw them as well when we went at the end of April last year. Most of them hung around Termini station, and would use all kinds of techniques to distract and pickpocket their victims. Our solution was simply to keep our distance and continue moving -- just how the regular Romans seemed to handle things.

Before you get to Rome, you must, and I mean MUST make arrangements to see the Borghesi (sp?) Gallery. The Bernini sculptures will blow your mind.

I just saw this thread and see that you've already booked a room. My sister and I are going on a Rick Steves tour this spring and will spend 2 nights in Rome.

The hotel they have booked for us is Hotel Nardizzi Americana. www.hotelnardizzi.it
Their website has a map to show where they are located.

Thanks KB. I would be interested in hearing about your trip to Italy when you get back. Please post a trip report for those of us just dreaming about Italy.

We did book the Hotel Lancelot, but I would like to hear about your hotel experience.

I am busy reading guidebooks. I have never done the guidebook thing before, I let the DH worry about all the research and planning. I like to just pack and go. This trip will be so different. I want to learn a little bit more about the places that we will be going. In addition to Rome we will be spending two days in Venice. We make five stops in Italy and two in Croatia.

I'll report back when we return around the 3rd week in May.

We start in Paris, travel to Burgundy, the Swiss Alps, Austria, Venice, Florence, Tuscany and finally Rome. It's a 14 day trip, our first time to Europe. I'm looking forward to it.

Back
Top Bottom