House surfing

Or maybe something a little classier...and less rust-prone, in case MO uses a lot of road salt in the winter. Maybe a De Lorean?!

Attachments

• De Lorean 4x4.jpg
    De Lorean 4x4.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 0
I think Iowa City sounds like an attractive place, OldBabe, except that for me it would be too snowy.

I am still a little doubtful about snow removal even in southern Missouri since I am getting older (and feeling it). I am hoping that maybe I could hire someone to help me with it. I will try to get a house facing south with no sidewalks to shovel and a short driveway. :2funny:

Snow removal is not for anyone over age 50, IMHO! Hire a teenager. But the idea of your house facing south is a good one. Make sure that your driveway is level and not sloping. Missouri is famous for ice storms. Not fun.

Once in Ohio we had a lot of ice buildup and I didn't clear my driveway soon enough. I tried to drive up the driveway but slid back down into a snow bank. I had to hire a truck to pull me out. But the driver was afraid he would slide too! So I said I would clear enough of the ice off so that it wouldn't be a hazard. By the time I finished spreading salt and clearing off the ice, the sun was out and melting most of it.

Ok, that memory removes Iowa and the rest of the midwest from my list.

:2funny: Pretty amazing!! I'd have to get a step ladder just to get in the thing. :D
Got just the thing ya need then [-]Mrs. Douglas[/-] W2R! (spoken in the voice of Mr. Haney from TV's "Green Acres") Hows about this....when not being used as a ladder, it doubles as a Christmas Tree! What in the world could be more useful than that?! ;)

Attachments

• ozark christmas tree.jpg
    ozark christmas tree.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 0
Snow removal is not for anyone over age 50, IMHO! Hire a teenager. But the idea of your house facing south is a good one. Make sure that your driveway is level and not sloping. Missouri is famous for ice storms. Not fun.

Once in Ohio we had a lot of ice buildup and I didn't clear my driveway soon enough. I tried to drive up the driveway but slid back down into a snow bank. I had to hire a truck to pull me out. But the driver was afraid he would slide too! So I said I would clear enough of the ice off so that it wouldn't be a hazard. By the time I finished spreading salt and clearing off the ice, the sun was out and melting most of it.

:2funny: I can imagine! What a story! Sounds like an ordeal, that's for sure. As for me, I am thinking of just staying housebound for a week or two when there is ice or snow, for the most part, since I can't yet drive in that stuff. Even so, I would probably have to shovel a path up the driveway and over to the front door for the mailman, if the mailbox is by the front door.

Maybe I can hire someone younger to do that. Luckily (? not really), there aren't many good jobs in the area so I'd think that it might not be too hard to find someone who would do that reliably.

Frank can drive in snow, but I want to be self reliant in Missouri in case he has to take a contract job out of town now and then.

How about somewhere in Tennessee? Climate's not too bad....lots of beautiful areas.....some college towns....airports.....indoor plumbin' (in most places)...

IF I ever decide to move from where I'm at now, I'd definitely have TN on the top of my list! Probably somewhere not too far from Nashville.....a day's drive to the Gulf coast, Chicago, Atlantic coast, only a few hours to Hotlanta, etc. There's sports, entertainment, food, history, and all that good stuff nearby. I'm going to be down in that neck of the woods 4 or 5 times next year sightseeing & exploring....it's a little less than an 8 hour drive from my home. :D

Got just the thing ya need then [-]Mrs. Douglas[/-] W2R! (spoken in the voice of Mr. Haney from TV's "Green Acres") Hows about this....when not being used as a ladder, it doubles as a Christmas Tree! What in the world could be more useful than that?! ;)

:2funny: You are really ON today, Goonie! :2funny:

I think I'll just stick with my Solara and keep it in the garage until the snow melts away. SO much easier. :)

I'd prolly take it, if it were oriented for optimum solar angle AND covered with solar panels.

:2funny: I can imagine! What a story! Sounds like an ordeal, that's for sure. As for me, I am thinking of just staying housebound for a week or two when there is ice or snow, for the most part, since I can't yet drive in that stuff. Even so, I would probably have to shovel a path up the driveway and over to the front door for the mailman, if the mailbox is by the front door.

In MO I can't imagine being snowed in for more than a few days.

Maybe I can hire someone younger to do that. Luckily (? not really), there aren't many good jobs in the area so I'd think that it might not be too hard to find someone who would do that reliably.

I've had people come to the door asking if they can shovel out my driveway for $20.

Frank can drive in snow, but I want to be self reliant in Missouri in case he has to take a contract job out of town now and then.

Just have enough stuff for a week, should be more than enough.

In MO I can't imagine being snowed in for more than a few days.

It probably won't be, though I guess I will find out when I get there. Last year (or was it the year before? I've forgotten) there was an unusually bad ice storm and I think it took two weeks before things returned to normal.

I've had people come to the door asking if they can shovel out my driveway for $20.

Perfect! Hopefully I will be as fortunate.

Just have enough stuff for a week, should be more than enough.

Sounds great. We are both looking forward to moving up there, though we might have to wait out the housing market. Guess we'll play it by ear once we are free of our jobs.

I think Iowa City sounds like an attractive place, OldBabe, except that for me it would be too snowy.

I am still a little doubtful about snow removal even in southern Missouri since I am getting older (and feeling it). I am hoping that maybe I could hire someone to help me with it. I will try to get a house facing south with no sidewalks to shovel and a short driveway. :2funny:

I went to MSU in Springfield ~30 years ago. We had a 28" snowstorm in the winter of 1978-1979. It shut the city down for four days. Luckily we lived two blocks from Brown Derby liquor store and the Bamboo Inn, or it would have been a real disaster. ;)

I went to MSU in Springfield ~30 years ago. We had a 28" snowstorm in the winter of 1978-1979. It shut the city down for four days. Luckily we lived two blocks from Brown Derby liquor store and the Bamboo Inn, or it would have been a real disaster. ;)
That's pretty good to only be shut down for four days after a snow like that.

I'm hoping to find a house near Sunshine or Battlefield (both large, commercial streets by now, south of MSU) so that I can walk places if I want to.

I love that ladder tree . Great idea goonie !

You also want to be self-reliant in case he needs your help for any reason.

I'd just have him take you out after the first snow. Find a good, flat, open parking lot and practice. My dad did this with me the year I got my learner's permit. He had me put the car into a skid, take it out of a skid, put it into a skid, take it out of a skid -- for about two hours.

I'm real good on snow. I was always invited on the college ski trips because I was one of the only folks who knew how to drive in it. (Didn't snow much where I grew up).

You can do it!

Welllll - about 20 miles north of Corvallis is Monmouth - same weather, smaller town, smaller school - Western Oregon University. Happen to know of the best deal on the low-priced spreads right now: 3 bdrm, 1240' 1915 home

Only problem is, the owner's honey hangs out on interweb forums all day trolling for suck...., er, just the most discerning of buyers to let him get out of the rental business. :cool:

So, is Monmouth still a dry town? I remember when I was in school folks had to hop over to Independence to buy booze. (I went to OSU).

So, is Monmouth still a dry town? I remember when I was in school folks had to hop over to Independence to buy booze. (I went to OSU).

Nope - can get beer and wine there now as of 5-10 years ago. 'Bout all the bars are in Indy though. One lone sports bar in Monmouth.

You also want to be self-reliant in case he needs your help for any reason.

I'd just have him take you out after the first snow. Find a good, flat, open parking lot and practice. My dad did this with me the year I got my learner's permit. He had me put the car into a skid, take it out of a skid, put it into a skid, take it out of a skid -- for about two hours.

I'm real good on snow. I was always invited on the college ski trips because I was one of the only folks who knew how to drive in it. (Didn't snow much where I grew up).

You can do it!

Thanks for the encouragement!! I can sure try, and you're right - - I should, and I will. :D

I was snowed in at work for three days because of that storm... :rant:

In southern Indiana, the piles of snow moved off the roads didn't melt until April...

Garrison Keillor....one of my all time favorites!!! Listened to him just the other evening on NPR! :D

Hey, I was there. My sister and I drove down and caught the show. He is very fun to watch in person.

<end hijack>

Back
Top Bottom