House surfing

The photo didn't show up.

I don't live in Iowa City, and have never been there, but house surfing is one of my favorite pastimes! :D
Earlier this year there was a lot of flooding in some parts of Iowa - - did they have bad flooding then?

Sorry! I fixed the link. Yeah, there was definitely flooding. No place is perfect. But that would be a concern.

Also, Ashville, NC. Artsy and beautiful. Here's a cute place. $149900

http://p.rdcpix.com/v01/l9896b141-c0m.jpg

Anyone want to suggest some other inexpensive towns with charming houses?

Thanks for fixing the link - - I love the house!! :)

I know what you mean. I was just thinking that the house might be damaged inside from the flood and might need to be gutted. Hopefully not! I don't see any floodline on the house, so that's encouraging.

Both houses are cute . I'd pick one that had easy access to my children or I absolutely adored the area .

Some of my favorite people are from Iowa. Great price, it wouldn't be enough for the down payment on the one-bedroom condo on my street.

So what's the easiest way to get into this house surfing?

Ashville is supposed to be an the in place to live.

Dang, by the headline I had image of a house on the front face of a big wave, surfer stylishly guiding it to a smooth beach landing. Oh, never mind!

I love house surfing. It seems like many areas have online access to their MLS to look at houses.

I've been to Iowa City. Only some areas are prone to flooding. It is a nice town but truly in the middle of nowhere. The summers deadly hot and the winters cold.

Hmmm - when it get's down to $65,000 with a bigger yard and fully fenced for the dogs - let me know.

I'd still like to know who ratted out Tonganoxie - no more good buys anymore.

heh heh heh - :cool:

I thought you meant "house surfing" like I used to mean "couch surfing," in that you just skip from housesitting gig to housesitting gig.

But as far as sweet places go, I'm fond of the Corvallis, OR area, but a nice house under $200k would be hard to come by. I've also liked South Bend, Indiana and the Twin Cities areas.

The house is soo cute!

I would have to learn to drive in snow in the snow to live there, but you have my vote.

tmm

Oldbabe,

I live in eastern Iowa and am fairly familiar with Iowa City. It's a nice university town. I don't know exactly what you are looking for, but I would generally recommend it. The U of I Hospitals and Clinics is/are outstanding, if healthcare is of any importance.

We had some bad flooding here this spring, but there were plenty of areas of cities that made it through unscathed.

I wouldn't go so far as to say that the summers are deadly hot, but we get plenty of heat and humidity. The winters can be hateful at times, too. How else are you supposed to know when the seasons change?? :p

Hmmm - when it get's down to $65,000 with a bigger yard and fully fenced for the dogs - let me know.

I'd still like to know who ratted out Tonganoxie - no more good buys anymore.

heh heh heh - :cool:

Yeah, that's what I'm looking for too. In a town near a University and an international airport. Mild summers and winters. Preferably in a blue state where there are lots of handsome gentlemen and the women are all just average. I'll let you know when I find one. :cool:

The houses are all nice. I'm partial to Asheville. I can't believe you can get a home like that for that price! Asheville has such a European, old-hippie type flair! Old Babe = Old Hippie, perhaps?

Both houses are cute . I'd pick one that had easy access to my children or I absolutely adored the area .

Well, I'd like that but my two youngest are not settled. My oldest lives in SF area and I can't afford to live there. Plus, I don't really want to follow my kids around the country.

But as far as sweet places go, I'm fond of the Corvallis, OR area, but a nice house under $200k would be hard to come by...quote]

Welllll - about 20 miles north of Corvallis is Monmouth - same weather, smaller town, smaller school - Western Oregon University. Happen to know of the best deal on the low-priced spreads right now: 3 bdrm, 1240' 1915 home

Only problem is, the owner's honey hangs out on interweb forums all day trolling for suck...., er, just the most discerning of buyers to let him get out of the rental business. :cool:

I've been to Iowa City. Only some areas are prone to flooding. It is a nice town but truly in the middle of nowhere.
I once heard someone describe Iowa as the "state of perfect nothingness". And the late 'Uncle Bobby' Collins of WGN radio in Chicago used to say that there was nothing west of the Mississippi River...until you got to Nebraska! :D

I realize that neither are completely true....partially maybe......but personally I like Iowa for the most part.....even though it does seem like it's a long distance between towns! Most everyone I've met or had contact with in/from Iowa have been very nice and friendly folks!

Yeah, that's what I'm looking for too. In a town near a University and an international airport. Mild summers and winters. Preferably in a blue state where there are lots of handsome gentlemen and the women are all just average. I'll let you know when I find one. :cool:

....reminds me of the old adage about finding a man in Alaska:

"The odds are good, but the goods are odd" :D

....reminds me of the old adage about finding a man in Alaska:

"The odds are good, but the goods are odd" :D

Or Silicon Valley. I wouldn't even call engineering dudes "goods", but OldBabe may find plenty of 30-year-old millionaires walking around.

Wait, aren't you living in Fort Collins? Isn't CSU right in downtown? Why is Iowa City so much better than FC?

No, I don't live in Ft. Collins, and the definition of moderate climate doesn't fit Colorado.

I'm not sold on Iowa city, just doing some surfing here. :D

A place "where the men are good-looking and the children are all above average" Prairie Home Companion

I think Iowa City sounds like an attractive place, OldBabe, except that for me it would be too snowy.

I am still a little doubtful about snow removal even in southern Missouri since I am getting older (and feeling it). I am hoping that maybe I could hire someone to help me with it. I will try to get a house facing south with no sidewalks to shovel and a short driveway. :2funny:

I am still a little doubtful about snow removal even in southern Missouri since I am getting older (and feeling it). I am hoping that maybe I could hire someone to help me with it. I will try to get a house facing south with no sidewalks to shovel and a short driveway. :2funny:
Naw.....just getcha an Ozark 2-Door Coupe! ;)

Attachments

• Ozark 2-door Coupe.jpg
    Ozark 2-door Coupe.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 3

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom