Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-11-2020, 03:23 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Five+ OMYs for me. My original goal was 50th birthday. My wife wanted a house. I wanted to live in HI. The house will cost twice what a condo does. We also wanted to travel. So, I w$rked for 5+ additional years to double the travel budget. But now that we're in the middle of a pandemic, we decided to buy a better place and forego 2/3 of the travel, at least for now.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2020, 03:30 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

For the last 4 or 5 years I started thinking of one more year in December. The decision boiled down to how happy I was working for the customer, and how well the boss supported me. The balance grew negative each year. Eventually I decided part time or out. After a year of part time, I knew in December I'd get out end of February 2020. They got about 7-8 weeks notice and wasted all of that. But the one year of part time was a warning shot, so they had only their own lack of decision making when I left.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 03:31 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

mine was certainly abrupt, but I had been planning on retiring for a while but one day I just decided to pull the chute

one of the top 5 best decisions I've ever made too - I should have retired 3 years ago
Old 08-11-2020, 03:33 PM   #24

I've told this before but it was still one of the great moments in my life. Planned to work till I was 65. When I was 61, politics at the company I'd joined 18 months before got toxic. On a Friday my boss pretty much threw me under the bus in a meeting and because I'm frequently too "nice" for my own good, I was too stunned to call him on it. I'd had financial planners from 2 firms tell me I didn't need to work for a living and my numbers were similar. Discussed it with DH (already retired, 15 years older) over the weekend, quit on Monday, last day the following Friday.

I can't believe that was over 6 years ago (May, 2014). Life is good.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 03:41 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

One day DH asked when he could retire. We had always just assumed we would both have to work until at least after the kids were out of college. But then I started looking at the Consumer Expenditure Survey and realized we already had more than if enough if we could lower our expenses. So the answer was tomorrow, if he was willing to review all the expenses in exchange for never having to work again. He was happy to do that. We stayed in a HCOL area and kept the house, but with optimizing all our expenses, paying less in SS and income taxes, no longer having to save for retirement and the kids eventually growing up and off the payroll, our overhead went way down.

I wish I'd run the numbers watched expenses closer and been more interested in ER sooner in life as I think we could have retired another ten years earlier. Even retiring when we did, it initially seemed too good to be true. I made my spreadsheet with my calculations, but we weren't sure it would work until we ran our numbers by the 401k financial adviser with his online retirement planner and then it seemed real.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 03:42 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
I've told this before but it was still one of the great moments in my life. Planned to work till I was 65. When I was 61, politics at the company I'd joined 18 months before got toxic. On a Friday my boss pretty much threw me under the bus in a meeting and because I'm frequently too "nice" for my own good, I was too stunned to call him on it. I'd had financial planners from 2 firms tell me I didn't need to work for a living and my numbers were similar. Discussed it with DH (already retired, 15 years older) over the weekend, quit on Monday, last day the following Friday.

I can't believe that was over 6 years ago (May, 2014). Life is good.
As someone here said," When your BS bucket and your FI bucket are full, bail".
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 03:54 PM   #27

I left with a golden handshake. It was abrupt and it was not abrupt.

I knew it was coming because of senior leadership change. I wanted it to happen and had been ready for a few years. I was so certain that it was coming that I had canvassed some associates in my industry for recommendation of good lawyers. I wanted to be ready.

Then it came. But it was really an 'unofficial' heads up. The package arrived two weeks later. I was thrilled. My spouse was not so sure. She expected me to have second thoughts. It felt so good when I was actually handed the paperwork. It felt even better, two months or so later when my lawyer reached a secured a termination agreement that he could recommend to me.

I could have walked two or three years earlier at 56. So glad that I waited. I cashed out my options at the right time, the termination agreement essentially gave me two years plus of salary, the extra few years enabled me to take advantage of some defined benefit pension benefits that I otherwise would not have qualified (age and service) for.

It was all good. No regrets. Glad I worked the extra few years. Never looked back.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 04:05 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Over a couple year period I became more and more uninterested in furthering my career at MegaCorp. I found that I was pretty content not killing myself to please others while no longer receiving salary advancement. I had reached the salary peak for my role. So I coasted for awhile and started to study what it would take to walk away from it all. Research, spreadsheets, healthcare planning, etc kept me entertained for months. Eventually, I decided I was ready and able to make the call. I waited one more month for the 2019 healthcare plans to be revealed to ensure there were no surprises and then gave 6 weeks notice on November 2, 2018. Most of the next few weeks were spent documenting a lot of my work and turning it over to the 30 year olds I was leaving behind. Final day of work, December 14, 2018. Left for my Christmas Caribbean cruise a week later.
PaunchyPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 04:17 PM   #29
gone traveling

Knew approximate timing the year) for several years. I announced 9 months prior & found & hired my replacement. But it was abrupt. Haven't been back ever.
gerntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 04:44 PM   #30

Employer installed a software "upgrade" which of course was a downgrade for those who used it. A couple months later a companywide buyout was offered. My department wasn't targeted for any reduction in staff, but I and two other senior co-workers took the offer. Boss was surprised, asked me to stay on for six more weeks, which I did to ensure I'd get the full severance package. It included nine months of family health coverage, which carried us until the Obamacare rollout.

One guy had been on the job more than 30 years and had a lot of vacation time left. He signed the papers and was gone for good the very next day. That's abrupt!
Old 08-11-2020, 05:21 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post
As someone here said," When your BS bucket and your FI bucket are full, bail".
+1
Old 08-11-2020, 05:32 PM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

About 4 years ago, I wrote here in the forums that I was targeting 3/2020 for my date. When reorgs happened in 9/19, I tried to push myself out with a package that paid me beyond the original date. Leaving megacorp is always abrupt.
Toocold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 05:45 PM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Slid into home doing engineering consulting on a private basis (my Sub S Corp) for energy companies. It was a long slide as the clients were great, the projects were challenging (and fun), the money was great, and the people were wonderful to work with. The slide took a few more years than I planned, but I don't regret any single day of it.
Old 08-11-2020, 05:55 PM   #34

Things at work started to slide when my boss of 10 years retired. The new manager started bringing in his own people, and I had been topped out as far as salary.

I was over 65, so did not have the worries about health insurance that a number of you early retirees did.
I had recently married a lady who was also widowed, and I did a lot of traveling. I waited until my profit sharing was deposited to my 401k, and left. Two days later we were on a 2 week tour of South America. I have never looked back.
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 06:11 PM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

I knew the date 3 years out. in the Army you retire at the rank you last held if you complete 3 years at that rank. so when I pinned on my last rank I planned for retiring 3 years later, to the day

PS. i had a boss that miscalculated his day a d fell short one month, to his horror. did not affect him financially, but his retirement rank on his ID card was one grade lower which only impacts your privileges, such as flying on Space A flights and getting VIP treatment on post during retirement travel.
Retire52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 06:13 PM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

I wanted to retire in 2007. But then DW said that I couldn’t retire years before her. Her plan was 2013. So instead I started ratcheting down work hours until I was working 1-2 days a week. DW was fine with that.

I gave 6 months notice in October, 2012. I had company stock that I wanted to sell. The company said that they would buy the stock if I worked until April, 2014. So I did. DW retired August 2014.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 06:36 PM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

LRDave,
Damn that must have been a pleasurable elevator ride.
Your out, and you are saving someone's job in the process.
My exit was much less dramatic.

Enjoy, JP
JP.mpls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 06:38 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLSUnFIRE View Post
Did you have a catalyst and what was it?

So over it, someone push me, please; I know once I do I'll be in a better place yet still..........)
Two full buckets did it for me. Bucket 1 was cash, Bucket 2 was BS. Bucket 2 was beginning to overflow...
Old 08-11-2020, 06:40 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Volunteered for a package, then looked for work for 15 months without good results. Discovered the retirement calculators and calculated we could do it.
Old 08-11-2020, 06:54 PM   #40

I went from not thinking about retirement at all to a final decision in 2 months. Based on some of the other answers that would be abrupt.

My work situation was deteriorating so I checked my pension plan. I was surprised at how good the numbers looked. I spent 2 months talking to the benefits office and working on a spreadsheet. That was June-July. I walked out the door in mid December.

10 years later, comfortably retired in Thailand, I have no regrets.