Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-28-2020, 03:45 PM   #121
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

^^^^^^ Yes, that is hard to top!
Out-to-Lunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-28-2020, 04:06 PM   #122
Recycles dryer sheets

About a year before I retired I thought I would work for about 3 more years. This was late 2017, just before my 59th birthday and I figured I'd go to 62. During 2018, I was just getting more and more frustrated.

+ I was in an IT sales engineering role and the industry was changing yet again (more reliance on cloud, hardware getting harder to sell, more of the interesting work was being done on the software side (where I wasn't)).

+ My company had gone through a merger and as much as there was a goal to have the entire combined company act as a unified organization, it wasn't happening. There was still a lot of in-fighting and distrust. There were incentives in-place driving different parts of the company, who were supposed to be aligned, to go in different, conflicting directions.

+ Management was be coming even more numbers driven than usual. The final straw for me was at a mid-year review. Despite all the frustration, I had had quite a good half-year - beating my goals by a healthy margin. Rather than any positive feedback, management lit into me (and almost everyone else in my position) for not doing even better. (It didn't help that my own management was being goaled and evaluated on metrics other than my peers and I were).

Shortly after that review, I scheduled a meeting with a financial advisor that I had been working with for a year or so, and asked him to validate my thinking that I was in a position where I could leave. He assured me that I could. I was going to do it towards the end of the year - but was so unhappy, that I decided to pull the trigger in early September. My boss asked me to stay on through the end of the August-October quarter, which I agreed to do.
My last day was November 2, 2018.

So, I guess you could say it was fairly abrupt vs. my original and even against my revised plan - but looking back, best decision ever!!!!
Old 12-30-2020, 07:57 PM   #123
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
For several months carried my completed but not signed resignation letter in my pocket. One fine day when a load of crappy assignements were handed out, I interrupted the meeting and said count me out, I'll be gone in two weeks.

Extracted the crumpled document from my pocket, signed it and handed it to the boss.
The sight of dropped jaws was priceless!
Great story. At one time I had the signed undated resignation letter ready to go but I didn't use it.
RetMD21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 08:03 PM   #124
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
For several months carried my completed but not signed resignation letter in my pocket. One fine day when a load of crappy assignements were handed out, I interrupted the meeting and said count me out, I'll be gone in two weeks.

Extracted the crumpled document from my pocket, signed it and handed it to the boss.
The sight of dropped jaws was priceless!
I decided similarly. I had decided I could retire but was waiting to see if there would be improvements at the start if the fiscal year. Instead my boss asked me to start a search to hire a new technician (which I didnít think I needed). I hated the hiring process and it made no sense to be involved if I wasnít planning to be here by the time they arrived. The next day I handed in my notice.
Old 12-30-2020, 08:11 PM   #125
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Let's see. I got a paper route when I was 12, and started planning my exit the first time it snowed. I spent pretty much my entire working life planning on retiring early. Obviously there were delays after marriage and a kid, but I always had it in mind. We lived our lived below our means in an attempt to be FI. Once that was achieved I hung around a few more years so I could get retiree medical coverage (pre-ACA). The minute I had that in hand I was gone. So no, not abrupt.