Join Early Retirement Today

How are you celebrating NYE?
Old 12-31-2020, 02:05 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

How are you celebrating NYE?

A day in the mountains, maybe skiing. It started to rain, so I might pass. In the evening, we’ll have dinner - steak with salad - and then hang out at home. Should be a nice and relaxing way to start the new year.

Happy New Year!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-31-2020, 02:05 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

ZZZZZZzzzzzzzzz.......
Old 12-31-2020, 02:06 PM   #43

I was planning to go to our church's drive-in NYE "Good Riddance" service but it has been postponed until tomorrow evening due to really crappy (cold, wet) weather today.

Dinner will be lobster tails, risotto, and asparagus. Probably will play a game after dinner. Will pop a bottle of bubbly at some point, and I'll stay up watching the nothing-like-the-usual ball drop with Andy and Anderson on CNN - they are quite a hoot. Tomorrow will be hoppin' john (black-eyed peas and rice) for good luck - we certainly deserve a better 2021.
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 02:10 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by gayl View Post
Hoping for dry weather for a hike. Otherwise just bowl games Attachment 37205
What a good looking family and a happy little dog!

I'm curious - did you actually send out "good riddance 2020" cards to folks? If so, you are my hero!

I've never been so glad to welcome a new year.
Old 12-31-2020, 02:48 PM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

"New Year's Eve is amateur night."
"Nothing food happens after midnight."
Those words from more than one retired LEO acquaintance over the years.
There will be some hors d'oeurve during the evening, we may be still upright at midnight, and we know we'll be waiting for the SWFL fireworks to stop about 1:30 tomorrow morning.
Old 12-31-2020, 02:58 PM   #46

Same as most years. Just chill in front of the fire and watch a hockey game. If it weren't for Covid would probably have been watching at a friend's place or having others here. World juniors is Canada-Finland and then US-Sweden. Both games deciding round robin group winners. We had our 3 days of white Christmas now back to green which isn't nearly as pretty.
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 03:31 PM   #47
Administrator

I’ll be walking over to my son’s house in an hour’s time. He still likes to stay up for the New Year and I certainly don’t mind joining him. We’ll eat a few snacks, watch TV and have a drink or two to welcome in the new year. Tonight we will celebrate the recovery of my sister and her husband from Covid, and his new job which starts on Monday.
Old 12-31-2020, 03:44 PM   #48
Full time employment: Posting here.

DH and I have a nice bottle of champagne to share and fresh shrimp appetizer. Just spaghetti for dinner. DS is stopping by so that is a treat. Happy New Year!
Old 12-31-2020, 03:54 PM   #49

We are having one couple over for dinner (who we have "podded" with for many months). I made lobster bisque, DW is making a lobster pie as I type.

A few scotches and glasses of wine and maybe we will make midnight.
Old 12-31-2020, 04:45 PM   #50

Looks like I'm spending it here. DW and I have been exposed to DS in retail, GK's in preschool and other essential workers in the family. Hopefully we'll survive and be here next year.
Old 12-31-2020, 04:59 PM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6miths View Post
Same as most years. Just chill in front of the fire and watch a hockey game. If it weren't for Covid would probably have been watching at a friend's place or having others here. World juniors is Canada-Finland and then US-Sweden. Both games deciding round robin group winners. We had our 3 days of white Christmas now back to green which isn't nearly as pretty.
+1. Not as much fun as being there in person for the New Years Eve Junior hockey game, which I have been lucky enough to do several times, but in 2020, it will have to do.
jcfradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 05:40 PM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

A couple that we are friends with & live just across the street are coming for dinner. They work at home and are very careful about CV, as we are. It will be just the four of us as Daughter is celebrating with her housemates.

Roasted chicken (spatchcocked), pan roasted vegetables & baby reds, and home made focaccia bread. They are bringing the desert so that will be a surprise.

BrianB
BrianB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 05:56 PM   #53
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
We plan to stay home, safe from the crazy insane drunk drivers. I expect that will be worse this year than ever before! New Orleans has a tendency to go overboard with celebrations so the roads will probably be littered with automobile accidents.

We don't drink so there will be no need to stock up on booze. I'll stay up until way past midnight since my usual bedtime is around 3 AM. I might watch the fireworks on TV, or on the internet. I'll listen to F tell me that nothing is going to change and how bleak the country's future is, and even though I know he's always right, I'll be happy anyway. To me, the end of 2020 seems like a terrific excuse to be happy. We're gonna tie up 2020 and put a bow on it!
He's such a sweetie! He offered to go get a take-out dinner for us at a Cajun restaurant about 2 blocks away, and we will eat it over here.

It has been raining here all day. Totally miserable weather, but perhaps it is keeping the crazies off the roads.
Old 12-31-2020, 06:40 PM   #54

Drove to the foothills. Picked up some produce at the store.

Enjoying a glass of very nice Malbec and will most likely have another one or two.

Dinner tonight...probably a salad and some leftover homemade spaghetti. More plonk at dinner.

Coffee. A piece of dark chocolate. Watch something on the tube. In bed by 11 or 12.

Exciting, no?

I had thought about running away with the lady next door, making mad passionate love all night. Unfortunately my spouse is not particularly understanding and put the kibosh on that plan. Shame really. There is always next NYeve.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 07:01 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
I’m sure my Amsterdam relatives will call at midnight their time. Unfortunately for them fireworks are banned in Amsterdam due to the pandemic lockdown. Residents usually go crazy with fireworks there on New Years Eve.

Absolutely! DW and I were in Linz, Austria NYE. They sell the skyrockets in the markets. It was fantastic. We were on the top deck of our river cruiser and looked at the fireworks all around us! It went on for a good hour.
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 08:08 PM   #56

we had pizza with BIL, neighbors dropped off cupcakes, we're streaming S2 of The Mandalaorian, we'll be up at least till midnight, watch the fireworks and then hit the sack. pretty much the same as every NYE. we don't drink alcohol and don't care to be around drunks.
Administrator for a regional 9-1-1 call center
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 08:56 PM   #57
Recycles dryer sheets

Does posting here count as “celebrating”? We usually stay in to avoid driving on NYE. So tonight we opened a bottle of cava, watched a gorgeous sunset, and are now relaxing by the fire watching TV. May you all have a healthy and joyful 2021!
Zona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 09:02 PM   #58

Nothing special for tonight. Dinner and then some homemade oatmeal chocolate chip cookies. Been inundated with fireworks in the adjoining neighborhoods for the last three hours with very few breaks, and it's only 9pm local here.
statsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 09:04 PM   #59
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Well in the next development the fireworks have been going non-stop since about 5:45pm when it first started getting dark, and I expect they won’t stop until well after midnight.

ETA: approaching 10:00pm - a lot more fireworks and getting louder.
Old 12-31-2020, 09:05 PM   #60

Eating Black Eyed Peas and rice along with a dozen grapes at midnight. (It's a good luck thing)

The Peas porridge was hot but not 9 days old. Ha!

Paired well with a nice Chardonnay we were gifted at Christmas time.
skipro33 is offline   Reply With Quote