Join Early Retirement Today

How are you celebrating NYE?
Old 12-31-2020, 05:56 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

How are you celebrating NYE?

DH and I are having a quiet NYE by ourselves by a fire by a lake with our sweet dog. Thinking I might research a good travel movie and purchase a nice bottle of champagne. Pondering on dinner menu....
FFC1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-31-2020, 06:18 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

This is my first NYE at home in several years as one of my bands usually has a gig. I'm glad to not be playing this year as I've always thought it a little unfair to the bandmate's spouses. Although they come to the gig and it's a freebie for them, they don't get to choose where to go and we'll be on stage and unable to dance or socialize with them for most of the night.

Tonight we're having slow baked ribs and homemade French fries. Then we'll watch a movie and the odds are that we both could be asleep before midnight.
Music Lover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 06:40 AM   #3

Get out early to shop for that bottle! I'm sure there is a run on that this year. I had a hard time getting most of what I wanted yesterday, but I did go a bit fancy.

For years now we've gone to the fondue place, Melting Pot. They do a pretty good NYE including open bar and champagne, and a nice dinner spread, private booth, + we uber and it's close. We go early, fully enjoy ourselves, home around 9, haven't seen midnight in years.

So this year...doing our own spread. We're doing one of DH's faves, seafood on ice, (lobster tail, stonecrab claws, clams, shrimp) as a way-too-big-appetizer. Then I'm cooking an almost-chateaubriand (the cut is from the regular part of the tenderloin): https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/f...ubriand-241304

I'm prepping a lasagna for tomorrow as it's good hangover food!
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 06:56 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

DW and I are major party animals. Despite COVID, we plan to celebrate the same way we have in the last 20 years or so: DW will be in bed and asleep by 10PM, and I'll watch Twilight Zone reruns and go to bed at 12:01AM.
mystang52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 06:57 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

We are going to a friend's house.... 8 of us in total that are in our "pod" of people that we know are careful with respect to CV. While I am typically up until midnight I doubt that we'll stay until midnight... DW usually goes to be about 10 pm and I'm sure that she will not last until the New Year. I'll probably have to wake her up to get my New Year's kiss.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 07:05 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Oops - forgot to chill the bubbly! Oh well - we have other wine to drink.

Quiet, at home. Usual bedtime, but I’m sure the development across the street will have loud fireworks well past midnight as usual.

I am making Penang Curry with duck and eggplant for lunch. I usually have no more than a snack for an early evening meal.
Old 12-31-2020, 07:09 AM   #7

We are having Ribeye steaks, Lobster tail and some home made Baileys. The bars and restaurants are all closed around here so no carnage on the roads anticipated.
jfn111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 07:21 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

GF and I had been making plans to go out for dinner, but thought better of it and instead we'll have a nice crab legs dinner here and snuggle by the fire.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 07:28 AM   #9

We have a happy hour family zoom call on Thursdays. Tonight we're all doing champagne or fancy cocktails and appetizers. After that it will be an ordinary dinner and evening for us. The fireworks at the beach were canceled, so I think it will be pretty quiet around here this year.
cathy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 07:48 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Early dinner out at nice lakeside restaurant that has outdoor seating. That’s as brave as we’re willing to get this year, next year will be better. We’ll be asleep when the ball drops.

For NY day we’re putting together a nice charcuterie plate with some champagne at home.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 07:50 AM   #11

One of my very favorite dinners: osso buco over spätzle. I was always a decent cook but this year I've really upped my game. Nothing fancy but my experiments are turning out far better than they ever have before. We'll probably stay up until midnight (in Newfoundland).
Old 12-31-2020, 07:54 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Picking up an uncooked Big Lou pizza from Lou Malnatti’s on the way home from the dr. Then eat it later with a few beers while watching tv with DW.
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 07:56 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Going to bed early. I hope it will be raining hard in order to deter the gunshots and fireworks.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 08:17 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Probably get takeout somewhere close, play some games, and watch TV.

If if were a little warmer and dry I'd be tempted to set off some fireworks in the backyard, but a chilly rain is forecast. I am sure the weather not stop a few other folks in our neighborhood .

It will be the first New Years Eve we can remember that it is just the two of us. It has always been parties, social gatherings, Times Square, local outdoor events. Not that we mind the change of pace.
Old 12-31-2020, 08:25 AM   #15

We will be home with the dogs, some champagne, and the brisket DH will be putting on the Traeger later today.

And giving hearty thanks that we decided to stay home and not drive back to Texas, where we’d have gone right into and stayed over night in the big Van Horn, Texas, snowstorm.

Late night walkies would have been unpleasant.

Van Horn isn’t fun in the best of weather.
Old 12-31-2020, 08:39 AM   #16

Thai Food, Poker, and Assorted Beverages with 8 family members. Happy New Year!
RetireAge50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 08:43 AM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

I think I need to up my cooking game.....

Happy New Years to all!
FFC1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 09:03 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

I’ll be in bed by 10:00pm. DW will stay up until 12:01. We’ll have a toast before I go to bed, probably when it turns midnight in London.
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 09:16 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Picking up an uncooked Big Lou pizza from Lou Malnatti’s on the way home from the dr. Then eat it later with a few beers while watching tv with DW.
mmmmm...... Lou Malnatti's........our favorite chicago-style pizza. Enjoy!
Old 12-31-2020, 09:17 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash man View Post
I’ll be in bed by 10:00pm. DW will stay up until 12:01. We’ll have a toast before I go to bed, probably when it turns midnight in London.

Sounds like a good plan to me.

Why stay up alllll the way to the end of this ridiculous year? Begone! Get a good night’s sleep in and be well-rested for a fresh start.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote