How are you celebrating NYE?

FFC1964

Recycles dryer sheets
DH and I are having a quiet NYE by ourselves by a fire by a lake with our sweet dog. Thinking I might research a good travel movie and purchase a nice bottle of champagne. Pondering on dinner menu....

This is my first NYE at home in several years as one of my bands usually has a gig. I'm glad to not be playing this year as I've always thought it a little unfair to the bandmate's spouses. Although they come to the gig and it's a freebie for them, they don't get to choose where to go and we'll be on stage and unable to dance or socialize with them for most of the night.

Tonight we're having slow baked ribs and homemade French fries. Then we'll watch a movie and the odds are that we both could be asleep before midnight.

Get out early to shop for that bottle! I'm sure there is a run on that this year. I had a hard time getting most of what I wanted yesterday, but I did go a bit fancy.

For years now we've gone to the fondue place, Melting Pot. They do a pretty good NYE including open bar and champagne, and a nice dinner spread, private booth, + we uber and it's close. We go early, fully enjoy ourselves, home around 9, haven't seen midnight in years.

So this year...doing our own spread. We're doing one of DH's faves, seafood on ice, (lobster tail, stonecrab claws, clams, shrimp) as a way-too-big-appetizer. Then I'm cooking an almost-chateaubriand (the cut is from the regular part of the tenderloin): https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/chateaubriand-241304

I'm prepping a lasagna for tomorrow as it's good hangover food!

DW and I are major party animals. Despite COVID, we plan to celebrate the same way we have in the last 20 years or so: DW will be in bed and asleep by 10PM, and I'll watch Twilight Zone reruns and go to bed at 12:01AM.

We are going to a friend's house.... 8 of us in total that are in our "pod" of people that we know are careful with respect to CV. While I am typically up until midnight I doubt that we'll stay until midnight... DW usually goes to be about 10 pm and I'm sure that she will not last until the New Year. I'll probably have to wake her up to get my New Year's kiss.

Oops - forgot to chill the bubbly! Oh well - we have other wine to drink.

Quiet, at home. Usual bedtime, but I’m sure the development across the street will have loud fireworks well past midnight as usual.

I am making Penang Curry with duck and eggplant for lunch. I usually have no more than a snack for an early evening meal.

Last edited:
We are having Ribeye steaks, Lobster tail and some home made Baileys. The bars and restaurants are all closed around here so no carnage on the roads anticipated.

GF and I had been making plans to go out for dinner, but thought better of it and instead we'll have a nice crab legs dinner here and snuggle by the fire.

We have a happy hour family zoom call on Thursdays. Tonight we're all doing champagne or fancy cocktails and appetizers. After that it will be an ordinary dinner and evening for us. The fireworks at the beach were canceled, so I think it will be pretty quiet around here this year.

Early dinner out at nice lakeside restaurant that has outdoor seating. That’s as brave as we’re willing to get this year, next year will be better. We’ll be asleep when the ball drops.

For NY day we’re putting together a nice charcuterie plate with some champagne at home.

Last edited:
One of my very favorite dinners: osso buco over spätzle. I was always a decent cook but this year I've really upped my game. Nothing fancy but my experiments are turning out far better than they ever have before. We'll probably stay up until midnight (in Newfoundland).

Picking up an uncooked Big Lou pizza from Lou Malnatti’s on the way home from the dr. Then eat it later with a few beers while watching tv with DW.

Going to bed early. I hope it will be raining hard in order to deter the gunshots and fireworks.

Probably get takeout somewhere close, play some games, and watch TV.

If if were a little warmer and dry I'd be tempted to set off some fireworks in the backyard, but a chilly rain is forecast. I am sure the weather not stop a few other folks in our neighborhood :).

It will be the first New Years Eve we can remember that it is just the two of us. It has always been parties, social gatherings, Times Square, local outdoor events. Not that we mind the change of pace.

We will be home with the dogs, some champagne, and the brisket DH will be putting on the Traeger later today.

And giving hearty thanks that we decided to stay home and not drive back to Texas, where we’d have gone right into and stayed over night in the big Van Horn, Texas, snowstorm.

Late night walkies would have been unpleasant.

Van Horn isn’t fun in the best of weather.

Thai Food, Poker, and Assorted Beverages with 8 family members. Happy New Year!

I think I need to up my cooking game.....

Happy New Years to all!

I’ll be in bed by 10:00pm. DW will stay up until 12:01. We’ll have a toast before I go to bed, probably when it turns midnight in London.

I’ll be in bed by 10:00pm. DW will stay up until 12:01. We’ll have a toast before I go to bed, probably when it turns midnight in London.

Sounds like a good plan to me.

Why stay up alllll the way to the end of this ridiculous year? Begone! Get a good night’s sleep in and be well-rested for a fresh start.

Hanging around waiting for the annual 'ghost of Jacob Marley' visit - he's been delayed this year due to travel restrictions.

Foodwise, I made a big batch of chili the other day, and (in)appropriately enough we'll have that with some Chileno wine.

Last edited:
I’m sure my Amsterdam relatives will call at midnight their time. :) Unfortunately for them fireworks are banned in Amsterdam due to the pandemic lockdown. :( Residents usually go crazy with fireworks there on New Years Eve.

We'll walk over to neighbor's house for a few early drinks, socially distanced. She's a healthcare worker, has had the first C19 vaccine, but is still being pretty careful. Nothing big planned for dinner yet, and we'll probably be in bed around 10. Then awake at 12 as this place usually sounds like a war zone on NYE, as there are lots of illegal fireworks available at nearby Indian reservations. If I'm feeling up to it, I'll get up and watch the show at reservation across the water. We could also see the one at the marina in town, but it's been cancelled this year.

Usually in bed by 10 or so, wake up to neighborhood noise, then back to sleep.
Planning our usual "hor d'oeuvres" type meal, lots of fun, little, delicious snacks.

DGS is here and intrigued with the thought of being able to go outside and make as much loud noise as he wants, he won't make it until midnight, but who cares? He can bang the pots at 9!!

We'll do the same as we have for the last 30 years or so. A nice dinner - rack of lamb with goat cheese mashed potatoes, asparagus, freshly baked sourdough bread and a nice bottle of Bordeaux, followed by our annual Scrabble game. Probably in bed before midnight. Tomorrow, I'll get up and bake cranberry scones and make walnut honey butter, the young wife will make smoked chicken and butternut squash hash with poached eggs, and we'll have all that for brunch, with orange juice and a bottle of Veuve Clicqout.

Back
Top Bottom