Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-03-2021, 01:50 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyclingInvestor View Post
How did people see me?

Back in my working days I used to work out hard for 1-2 hours each day at lunch in our on-site gym, then shower. One day my company's security officer gave my a notice that had been passed around our small complex of office buildings about me.
That is fabulous!! And like you I might have kept that one in my file for future use. I have always had a certain level of pride about being stealthy, even before I was truly wealthy. My kids poked fun at me one night when some young billionaire was being profiled - he had a closet full of exactly the same clothes items which let him economize on time. For thirty years, I have been wearing the same brand and style of socks, underwear (ok two as my originals got discontinued) and pants and work provided clothes to wear every day. Of course that guy had like thirty pairs of pants while I have just two in the rotation.
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2021, 01:53 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
How did people see me?

Back in my working days I used to work out hard for 1-2 hours each day at lunch in our on-site gym, then shower. One day my company's security officer gave my a notice that had been passed around our small complex of office buildings about me.
That is pretty awesome.

I don't think people give two thoughts about my situation in life and I am totally fine with that. I dress quite casually and when I get out (not too much these days) I am in a 12 year old Honda and am probably going to Dollar General to get some milk. I even was brave enough to wear my PJ bottoms in there last week...and I don't think a single person batted their eyes, shoot...I think it helped me blend in with the local crowd a little better.
Old 02-03-2021, 02:10 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
They don't. As a man of a certain age I have become invisible to most of the outside world. This is a huge advantage.

Life is good.
So agree, being invisible is part of the plan! My book reads nothing like the cover!!
Old 02-03-2021, 02:12 PM   #24

Quote:
How did people see me?

Too funny!

Hmmm, how did she know that you wore thongs?
Out-to-Lunch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 02:25 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Out-to-Lunch View Post
Too funny!

Hmmm, how did she know that you wore thongs?
HAHAHAH! Pretty sure she meant flip flops.

-"Blow that dough"-Robbie

" People say I'm lazy, dreaming my life away Well, they give me all kinds of advice designed to enlighten me When I tell them that I'm doing fine watching shadows on the wall "Don't you miss the big time, boy. You're no longer on the ball" -John Lennon-
Bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 02:28 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

I'm usually working in the yard or workshop so I'm grungy looking with dirty jeans and t-shirt or flannel shirt. Always wearing a hat - usually a dirty baseball cap.

When I do clean up, I wear sweatpants and t-shirt/sweatshirt.

So I really don't know what they think of me - nobody has told me. But I did hear someone say "Look - they have a gardener" as they cruised the lake in our backyard.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 02:32 PM   #27

It's been awhile, but while in an elevator once with a woman I had never met, she gaped at me for a moment and told me I looked like Sean Connery. I hope Sean and I have diverged a bit in the looks department since then, since Sean is dead.

Myself, I don't see it.
Old 02-03-2021, 02:36 PM   #28
gone traveling

"How do strangers see you?"
Well, kids' parents always say: "Stranger Danger!" when I am around.
davebarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 02:37 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
"How do strangers see you?"
Well, kids' parents always say: "Stranger Danger!" when I am around.
Old 02-03-2021, 02:40 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Well, they were right! LOL. Good on ya, I say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post

So I really don't know what they think of me - nobody has told me. But I did hear someone say "Look - they have a gardener" as they cruised the lake in our backyard.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 04:00 PM   #31

OP-Great trawler! What's its range? What kind of cruising are you doing?

I just bought a boat in Marina del Rey last year and brought it up the coast to SF Bay, where I'm easing my way into living on it full time. I'm splitting time btwn the boat and the condo now, as I work on both to prep for the transition. So, as you can imagine, lots of projects on the list to get done. And, since this is my first boat, everything has a learning curve for me (And, a spending curve too because, well...it's a boat.).

To your original question, I haven't noticed any real 'classism' in either of the marinas I've been in. But, it's early days so, I expect it's out there somewhere; hopefully, not much of it though.
Huston55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 04:02 PM   #32
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
How did people see me?

Classic! I assume you had it framed?
ProspectiveBum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 04:12 PM   #33
Administrator

I'm sure most people don't notice me at all. That's why I think I'd be a good spy.
Old 02-03-2021, 04:14 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Here in the Islands, casual is very acceptable. You rarely see folks truly dressed up, but of course, designer this and that are still fairly prevalent. I've noticed in the last 40 years that folks are a bit more conscious of their cars. While Toyotas still prevail, there are plenty of BMWs, MBs, and other Euro Lux cars now. My cars are very used and I don't spend a lot on detailing.

I would say that status-seeking, in general is primarily seen among young males - I assume looking for a mate, but I've never asked. Older folks are generally revered in the Islands and now that I'm finally going gray, I seem to command more respect from younger folks - especially those in retail and within social groups of mixed ages. It's taken some getting used to, but I like it.

On the mainland, if I say I live in Hawaii, it's as if a light just turned on. Oh, so you're NOT as poor as you look (dress). Your "good" cars must be back home in the Islands. (No, I've never had anyone say these things but you can kind of see it in their expressions.) I do still get the "You're so lucky." I've stopped saying "Luck had nothing to do with it" because, of course, luck DID have something to do with it. I was blessed and I took advantage of that to go after what I wanted. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
How do strangers see you?
Old 02-03-2021, 04:31 PM   #35

How do strangers see you?

Today was sunny and in the 50s and I walked to the park and laid down flat on my back on the grass, listening to an early retirement podcast. I noticed the fashionable moms and their children kept some distance .
Markola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 05:44 PM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett View Post
Yes, it very much happens to us.

We travel internationally (pre covid) about 4 months a year. Sometimes longer. We travel with carry on only and we are spontaneous travelers.

We can be happy at a no star chalet on an island in Thailand, in a six star resort, or a cruise ship.

We do carry on only because we can find ourselves climbing two or three flights of stairs in a European B&B or climbing over moored ferry boats or climbing in and out of long tail boat in Thailand, or have the valet insist on taking our bag in a luxury hotel or resort.

Clearly, our selection of clothing is limited. No extras. That means on a cruise or high end hotel we are always casual. Shorts or dockers. We pass on the formal night (do not like them anyway). We also avoid those people who seem to want to judge us by what our occupations were prior to retirement. I mean really, who cares. Or they want to regale us with how important their children are or how well they are doing. We do not care.

This really varies by nationality of those we meet.

At one point one seven month trip we met a couple who seemed shocked that we were homeless simply because we had sold our home and placed everything in storage for a year. I could see in their faces that they could not understand how we could even be on this high end cruise. The other question was so did you sell your home in order to pay for your travel.

Some very strange responses except from the growing number of early retirees who are doing exactly what we are doing. We have met some wonderful friends along the way who we visit in Australia from time to time. But the bottom line.....NO we simply could care less what other people think. We are long past that on our life's journey. We view that concern as a complete waste of time and effort.

We also now live on a cul de sac. Most of our neighbors are early retirees. Usually two late model vehicles, often Acuras, Lexus, Mercs, etc. in the drive.

We have a 2006 Accord and a 2007 Solara convertable. Do we care? No? Do we feel that we need to keep up? Absolutely not. Especially when we are out of town so often during the year.

I had to check for a split second to see if your post was from my husband! We have a newer car (2009) but otherwise, pre COVID, do the exact same thing when traveling. Last year we took a couple of cruises from Miami to Buenos Aires via Antarctica and traveled for 4 months, camping and Airbnb’s and hotels (cut short by COVID) and only had a backpack each! Highly recommend that route if you haven’t done it!
bearkeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 06:22 PM   #37

We have done too many cruises as well and far many land trips to count.

I would say that cruises were/are the absolute worst for fellow travelers wanting to know your socio economic background/employment/career info in order to 'slot' you.

We also found cruises the absolute worst for people bragging about who they are, what they have done, or the same with their wonderful children or grandchildren. Or all the cruise they have been on and what level they have reached in the cruise line reward schemes. If some of those people could hear themselves they would cringe. Or maybe not! Entitlement city.

Don't know what it is about cruises. The exception would be the many Australians that we have met along the way and become friends with.
brett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 06:47 PM   #38

we've had no issues with anyone at least none that we know of. if anyone is jealous or envious of our retirement they've kept it to themselves. but then we're at "retirement age" now. our lifestyle is very middle class...1600sq home, 11 and 18-yr old cars, etc. apart from extensive remodeling of our home over the past 11-12 years the only other indication of our financial status is our now 5-yr old motorhome.
Administrator for a regional 9-1-1 call center
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 07:20 PM   #39

Quote:
We have done too many cruises as well and far many land trips to count.

I would say that cruises were/are the absolute worst for fellow travelers wanting to know your socio economic background/employment/career info in order to 'slot' you.

We also found cruises the absolute worst for people bragging about who they are, what they have done, or the same with their wonderful children or grandchildren. Or all the cruise they have been on and what level they have reached in the cruise line reward schemes. If some of those people could hear themselves they would cringe. Or maybe not! Entitlement city.

Don't know what it is about cruises. The exception would be the many Australians that we have met along the way and become friends with.

I find you comment interesting. I have been on 47 cruises on a number of different lines including high end ones. I have never personally encountered that attitude.
However, on Cruise Critic there have been mentions of people showing off their medallion or whatever status symbol they have.
YMMV
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 07:39 PM   #40

Quote:
Yes, it very much happens to us.

We travel internationally (pre covid) about 4 months a year. Sometimes longer. We travel with carry on only and we are spontaneous travelers.
Yep. That's us as well, albeit with more travel (although if a dedicated dive trip, we'll check one bag).

For us, I'm sure it all depends upon where people see us. At home, on my 50 year old tractor or 25 year old truck, they night feel sorry for us! If they see us going into business class on transoceanic flights, probably different. OTOH, when we are the oldest people at the hostel.... But, close watchers might see that we try to spend less on lodgings than on dinners...

Don't really care; DW and I would never have retired early if we valued acquaintances' opinions.