Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-03-2021, 07:50 PM   #41
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
I'm sure most people don't notice me at all. That's why I think I'd be a good spy.
Perfect! Actually we prefer being under the radar; often we can just scoot by unnoticed like that.

If anybody notices us, they seem to think we are a little old husband and wife living frugally on not much but Social Security.

The financial part is fine. We are not social climbers or high rollers so who cares. We fit the picture.

The married part can be a bit awkward, sometimes.
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2021, 08:12 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Nice boat! Looks like a lot of room for a 27'er. We went all over the place for weeks at a time in our little 28' express cruiser before we finally had to go with something a bit bigger and a lot slower for longer trips. Almost had the house on the market before COVID hit. We're hoping to spend even more time underway once we're able to sell it. I've been doing some deliveries in the meantime, and actually enjoying that.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 10:43 PM   #43
Full time employment: Posting here.

I am really not sure how people see me/DW. When we do long, multi-week bike tours we camp and stay in peoples homes with a program called Warm Showers. If they agree to host us, which means at minimum, a place to put your tent, they are not allowed to charge. 99% invite us in the house and typically provide a bed, great dinner and breakfast. After a 50 mile+ day on a loaded bike, you are hungry.

But the one story that happened in NC gave me some pause. We stopped at a convenience store to get a drink and snack. A man struck up a conversation with us. He use to bicycle tour but no longer did. We chatted for about 20 minutes and hit the road. He left about the same time. Then this car pulls ahead of us and onto the shoulder, in our path. The same gentleman gets out of the car and tells us he really misses bicycle touring. He insists we take the $20 he is offering us so we can enjoy our trip. We refused many times but no was not the right answer. I am guessing he was sincere about offering the money so he could feel like he was participating in our bike adventure. But, I am not 100% sure. He might have thought we just needed the money?
savory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 11:45 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by savory View Post
But, I am not 100% sure. He might have thought we just needed the money?
Have you considered (temporarily) changing your username to "unsavory" to accommodate this chap?
Out-to-Lunch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 11:48 PM   #45
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

How do strangers see me? I don't know.

I don't talk to strangers, and if I do, I do not ask them what they think of me.

And frankly, I do not really care, unless they think I am a mass murderer or a criminal. I am willing to bet that they don't give me any attention.
Old 02-04-2021, 12:52 AM   #46
Give me a forum ...

My fave is 2 kids ( 10-12 yrs age) walking by on the side walk and one says to his buddy;

"That guy is cool, he's always building stuff"
Old 02-04-2021, 01:18 AM   #47
gone traveling

I got gray hair at a relatively young age, and had kids at relatively older age than many.

So when my oldest daughter was about six or seven, I took her to the grocery store, got what I needed and got her an ice cream bar.

At the checkout the clerk asked her "Isn't it nice your grampa is getting you a treat?" My daughter immediately told her "That's my daddy."

The clerk looked startled and turned several shades of red.

I thought it was hilarious! I always got a kick out of people thinking I was much older (because of the gray hair) than I actually was.
RetireeRobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 01:26 AM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

I swung by the local airport to sweep the snow off the wings of my airplane. There was another guy doing the same the next tie-down row over. Both of us looked like over-the-hill "oilfield trash", probably because that is what we are. Living in rural Alaska, you can't judge the size of the checkbook by its cover at all. I know of a centimillionaire driving a 20 year old F250 with rust perforated quarter panels. He owns a very nice turbine beaver on amphibs though
Old 02-04-2021, 01:29 AM   #49
gone traveling

And my wife always looked younger than her age. When she was in her late twenties, she looked like she was about sixteen. And I had graying hair.

So one time the DW and I went for a weekend vacation in a little town in the sparsely populated southeastern part of the state. I went in a motel office to get a room with one queen size bed. As I signed into the motel guest register, the twenty-something girl clerk had kind of a snicker look on her face. I know she was thinking this old coot, checking in with a very youngish looking girl into a motel out in the boondocks away from his home town, is up to some illicit hanky-panky. (Well, it wasn't illicit, be she did turn out to be right about the hanky-panky!)
RetireeRobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 02:43 AM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireeRobert View Post
And my wife always looked younger than her age. When she was in her late twenties, she looked like she was about sixteen. And I had graying hair.
We've had the opposite issue. DW is only a few months older, but more than once, someone has called her my "mother." Her hair is pure silver while mine is still (well, until recently) DARK brown (though thinning.) DW was NOT pleased by these faux pax - once by a doctor who had just performed a minor procedure and came out to the waiting room to inform me my mother was doing well. I told him my mother died 20 years before. He begged me not to tell on him - I didn't until we were in the car on the way home.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 05:50 AM   #51

On our safari we were required to pack only one 33 lb soft bag. So I carried a cloth Lands End day bag. Among the other travelers I must have looked nearly homeless. All the bush camps did our laundry daily for us but I think I overpacked.
Old 02-04-2021, 06:19 AM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

We RV and have come across such a wide variety of socioeconomic backgrounds... you really can never tell who is wealthy and who is bankrupt by what they drive or how they dress. We have encountered folks in million-dollar motorhomes who are underwater on a huge RV loan and also otherwise homeless and income deficient. We have also met people in tiny old campervans and mini pull-behinds that own several million-dollar S&B homes.

As far as dress & appearance, I make zero effort. I wear clothing to keep the sun and bugs off me, to keep from getting torn up by thorny vegetation on trails, for warmth, and for modesty. I don’t smell, that’s about all I can say. My clothing is stained, ripped, or dirty (gardening or hiking tough trails) soon after I buy it and daily after I put it on. I plop a hat on my head and wear no makeup. My shoes are only tennis shoes or hiking boots, and they’re as well-used (or abused) as my clothing. I’m sure most people presume I’m landscaping staff when I’m seen out-and-about at the luxury RV resorts we frequent. I have seen surprise on many faces when they see the RV we live in - some of these people probably thought I lived in a tent LOL
RVplusDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 07:01 AM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
We lived in a modest condo in the hills overlooking the water when we met most of our fellow retirees during the first 10 years, and when we upgraded to a twice as expensive condo close to the ocean during our "blow that dough" phase, many of our friends had to reassess their assumptions about us.

It is always surprising how people make assumptions.
Old 02-04-2021, 07:05 AM   #54
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huston55 View Post
OP-Great trawler! What's its range? What kind of cruising are you doing?

I just bought a boat in Marina del Rey last year and brought it up the coast to SF Bay, where I'm easing my way into living on it full time. I'm splitting time btwn the boat and the condo now, as I work on both to prep for the transition. So, as you can imagine, lots of projects on the list to get done. And, since this is my first boat, everything has a learning curve for me (And, a spending curve too because, well...it's a boat.).

To your original question, I haven't noticed any real 'classism' in either of the marinas I've been in. But, it's early days so, I expect it's out there somewhere; hopefully, not much of it though.

Thanks! She’s simple, but like you said, she’s a boat, so lots of work! She has a 60 gallon tank. At 7mph, we get 350 to 400 miles, leaving some for reserve.

Good luck with the transition!
bearkeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 07:11 AM   #55

I don't know what people think. I would say we do not show off that we have N x $1,000,000, but I can't hide that I RE'd at 57, or the big deck project that sprouted in the back yard last year. Photos that I post show we have travelled to places like Paris, Switzerland, Norway, and Patagonia.
Old 02-04-2021, 07:19 AM   #56
Give me a forum ...

At a local service station, I was putting air in the car tires. A scraggly young man asked me if I needed help, and I said I was fine, thank you.

Then he asked me if I had any spare change, which I didn't - I'd barely had the quarters for the air machine, because I seldom carry cash and always use a credit card. Not feeling the need to explain, and wanting to beat the air machine's 5-minute limit, I just glared at him, and he went away.

So I guess to strangers, I look like a stern older woman.

To the neighbors, I am the highly unusual woman who works in her yard a lot. Although I wear worn and paint-spattered clothes, they know I can't be poor, so why do I do all that hard dirty work which everyone else hires out? "Exercise," I tell them.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 07:35 AM   #57

OK, here's one...

My 90-year-old neighbor sprained something in her leg. She went to the doctor, who patched her up and said she'd have to keep pressure off it for a while. He made the mistake of asking if she had a walker or cane. She was indignant. NO! What do you think I am, some kind of cripple?!?

Then he tried to tell her she should stay off her feet for a few weeks. She said "I can't do that! I have old people I have to take care of!" She actually was still working as a home health aid at the time.

She's slowed down a bit now, at 96, but the (adult) grandchildren are still afraid of her!
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 08:23 AM   #58

Just reading through all the new posts I just remembered what some young boys told me one day. I was on a bike ride and two young boys that looked like they were up to no good, asked me "what are you doing old man". They actually said it a few times. It didn't bother me that I was old but I did think they most likely weren't taught to show respect to others and that they maybe the ones I see in the paper as getting in trouble someday.

I grew up among elderly in all of my early years of life. I would never have said that to one of them out of respect.
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 08:26 AM   #59

As a dark skinned minority male, I learned growing up, and through my parents, that I had to be aware of what strangers might think of me, as it would make a difference in the quality of my life. That is one reason I always dress clean and neat in public. My parents also taught me that "wherever you go, act like you belong there, as you will stand out and some may not want you there". In my line of work and travel that was true, though it did improve over the years. Too many "interesting" incidents to document here. I joke with people that social distancing is not an issue for me, I have experienced enough of it over the years that I am used to it.

My guess is that most strangers would find it surprising that I am retired and not working at all. Some of my friends see me that way. DW said a lot of her friends implied that she was still working because I retired, they will be surprised when she stops working in a couple of months .
Old 02-04-2021, 08:35 AM   #60
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollystomper View Post
As a dark skinned minority male, I learned growing up, and through my parents, that I had to be aware of what strangers might think of me, as it would make a difference in the quality of my life. That is one reason I always dress clean and neat in public. My parents also taught me that "wherever you go, act like you belong there, as you will stand out and some may not want you there". In my line of work and travel that was true, though it did improve over the years. Too many "interesting" incidents to document here. I joke with people that social distancing is not an issue for me, I have experienced enough of it over the years that I am used to it. .
Well crap. I’ve never thought as my comfort in dressing however I want as white privilege, but I guess it is. Oh well, at least I’m learning.
RVplusDog is offline   Reply With Quote