Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-16-2021, 08:05 AM   #121
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DektolMan View Post
When my wife & I were running our business we decided on our day off to go car shopping. We arrived in T shirt & jeans and one salesman after another said they were busy and passed us onto the next one. We left and the next day I wrote a letter to the manager at the dealership on our letterhead telling him how we were treated and how they lost a 30k sale and a customer. I also suggested that he required his sales team to read The Millionaire Next Door.
https://www.early-retirement.org/for...m-98050-9.html Post #168

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-16-2021, 08:32 AM   #122
Give me a forum ...

As a young man 30 years ago, I went into a bank that I banked at, to acquire about getting a loan for some land. I didn't know the ag loan officer, but in so many words discouraged me from getting a loan or buying that property. He didn't know me and being young and not dressed very well or I didn't have a name in the community we refused my requested to trying to get a loan.
I did get that episode back to the bank. I had more money in that bank then what that loan was. I beleive at that time I had 4 times more. Lol

If I had been older, well dressed or had a name he could associate wealth with, he would of bent over backwards to help me. I got turned down and that always hurt me.

Years latter I got a loan from the same bank for over 30K for 25 years (in early 80's) and paid it off in 2 years. I got a real nice letter from that bank and was told personally not many could do what I did. I think they felt some regrets what they did to me years earlier.
street is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 08:36 AM   #123
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I had always heard that you should dress nicely when you go to a car dealership so they'll take you seriously. Well, way back in 1999, I was dressed up for yard work, as I was planning on going over to my grandmother's house and raking leaves. My uncle also needed me to take him to the car dealer. His '97 Silverado had eaten its transmission, but under warranty thankfully. So the plan was to take him to the dealer, get his truck, and then go do some yard work at Grandmom's.

Well, we get to the dealer, and my uncle says "hey, while we're here, why don't we go look at the new trucks!" At the time, I was driving an '89 Gran Fury that used to be a police car, and had an appetite for premium. I had a second job delivering pizzas, and that car wasn't the best for that type of work. It was rugged, but not exactly fuel-efficient. Luckily, fuel was still somewhat cheap.

Anyway, a salesman came over, and we said we were just looking. He was able to pull off the trick of being around to be helpful if needed, yet not hovering, pushy, and annoying. I was most likely wearing either beat up shorts, or sweatpants, and a t-shirt. My uncle tended to dress like a Walton. As in, "Walton's Mountain", not "Walmart". Still, the guy didn't seem to pass any judgement whatsoever. He let us take out a couple of trucks, none that I really liked, at least at the price I wanted to pay. I also really didn't need a truck.

Anyway, by the time that little "take me to the dealer so I can get my truck" excursion ended with me coming home with a brand new 2000 Intrepid (it was a Dodge/Chevy/Isuzu dealer). When my Dad wanted to get a used car, in 2003, we went back to that dealership, and the same salesguy was there. My Dad bought a used '03 Regal from him.

I liked that salesman. I'd almost be tempted to track him down the next time I want to buy a car, but then I just realized, "it's later than you think." I just searched his name on Whitepages.com, and, presuming it's the same guy, he's 78 now! I guess it's possible he's still selling cars somewhere, but seriously, I hope he's out there enjoying his retirement...early or otherwise!

Now, a few people did judge me, after I bought that Intrepid. I was only 29 at the time, so maybe that made a few people take notice. Single 29 year olds usually don't buy new cars that big. I remember taking it to my pizza delivery job that first night, and one of the insiders, who never paid me much attention, suddenly let out a squeal when she saw it and said "Andre will you marry me??" And, one or two customers asked me about it, and how I could afford a car like that. It really wasn't any of their business, but I explained to them that I had a full-time job, and this was my second.

I also remember someone, who was driving a fairly new Honda Civic at the time, asking why I bought an Intrepid? He said "That just screams FAMILY!!" I was like c'mon now, it's an Intrepid, not a Delta 88 Royale Brougham LS with wire wheels, whitewalls, and a padded top!

The only other time I bought a new car was in 2012, when I bought an end-of-the-model year 2012 Dodge Ram. I had already done a lot of email back and forth the night before, and was planning to pay cash for it, so when I went in the next day, I wasn't overly concerned about how I was dressed. Most likely, it was just shorts, sneakers and a t-shirt again. My uncle went along again this time, so he could drive my car back, in case I actually bought it. One odd little detail I noticed about the sales guy though. He was dressed up fairly nice, in slacks and a white button-up shirt, and black dress shoes. But he was wearing white ankle socks with the shoes. On one hand, that's a bit of a fashion faux pas, but I guess you could also argue that his shirt matched his socks! It's funny, the little details that can stick in your memory.
Andre1969 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 08:46 AM   #124
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre1969 View Post
He was dressed up fairly nice, in slacks and a white button-up shirt, and black dress shoes. But he was wearing white ankle socks with the shoes. On one hand, that's a bit of a fashion faux pas, but I guess you could also argue that his shirt matched his socks!
~ 50 years ago a guy I knew in Toronto got a job selling used cars; he went to one of those warehouse/wholesale type places and bought a bunch of tacky mismatched jackets/pants.

His rationale: People who shopped for used cars at the sort of outlet where he was employed wanted to feel that they were 'smarter than the salesman' - his (carefully unselected) attire reinforced that image in their minds.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 09:03 AM   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by street View Post
I had more money in that bank then what that loan was. I beleive at that time I had 4 times more. Lol
Reminds me of the time the locally-owned bank sent my mother a notice that they were going to start imposing some sort of new fee on her checking account.

She went into the bank, filled out a withdrawal slip for the entire amount of her savings account (she'd recently received a non-trivial inheritance) and casually passed it to the teller.

It didn't take long before she was whisked off to the branch manager's office, where he bent over backward to apologize and try to convince her to stay with that bank.

Those were simpler times.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 09:13 AM   #126
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by street View Post
^ I like that!! Lol
I suppose, no reply from the dealership happened thou.

Nobody replied & I'm not surprised at all!
DektolMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 09:15 AM   #127
Give me a forum ...

^ yes, I see it at respect and money might talk. Lol

I may add for clarity, is that 4 times more money then the loan I wanted, I had in that same bank.
street is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 09:15 AM   #128
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post

The most successful sales people know not to judge a book by its cover.
Old 02-16-2021, 09:28 AM   #129
Recycles dryer sheets

another car buying experience from a friend of mine.

So my friend is relocating to Memphis and he arrives before the wife & family. He needs 2 new cars and goes looking at a dealership. He finds what he likes and tells the salesman that he's going to check with his wife.

Well the salesman says to him "You need your wife's permission to buy a car?" Well my friend didn't say anything and drove to a dealership right across the street. He bought 2 news cars there and with his wife they went to pick them up.

He says to his wife follow me we have to visit the dealer across the street. They drove up across the street in their new cars and the original sales person comes out. My friend says I just want to tell you I got my wife's permission!

Well the GM comes out asking what's going on and my buddy explains it to the GM. The GM sales to the salesman, is that correct. The salesman says yes and the GM fired him on the spot. My friend just said, have a nice day and left!
Old 02-16-2021, 11:27 AM   #130

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
Reminds me of the time the locally-owned bank sent my mother a notice that they were going to start imposing some sort of new fee on her checking account.

She went into the bank, filled out a withdrawal slip for the entire amount of her savings account (she'd recently received a non-trivial inheritance) and casually passed it to the teller.

It didn't take long before she was whisked off to the branch manager's office, where he bent over backward to apologize and try to convince her to stay with that bank.

Those were simpler times.
did she stay?
Administrator for a regional 9-1-1 call center
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote