How do you answer the “what do you do?” question when most people your age are still

We've been asked this over a dozen times since retiring 4 years ago. We reply simply that "we're retired". The vast majority don't react at all. A few were amazed and impressed. They guys, always guys, are so proud of us that they boast of OUR retirement to their friends. A fe women, always women for some reason, say that " you're too young". I'm tempted to say that retirement is wasted on the old, but say I wanted to enjoy life while healthy.

We think alike, even you are only tempted to say this while I actually have. :cool:

That would be very strange to say, after I already explained that I was a manager, and mostly dealt with hiring and budgets, which ought to bore anybody into not asking more. I mean sheesh, do they want me to drone on about billets and Congressional justifications? We're here for adventures and fun!

I try to divert the topic to either "what you like to do" or "what I like to do" but this type of person won't. give. in.

They are just obnoxious.

"I'd tell you, but then I'd have to kill you." ought to work.

When I was told early on in my ER which began years ago that I was too young to retire, I replied with a twist on a saying about "youth is wasted on the young" with this: "Retirement is wasted on the old!"

That is fantastic. I was thinking that since our new home will have a pool, I would tell folks that I am the resident pool boy, but I like your response a LOT better! :)

"I'd tell you, but then I'd have to kill you." ought to work.

I actually had one acquaintance retire from the govt and tell me something like that. I think he was open that he had worked for the NSA, or maybe just the DOD. I had interviewed with the NSA while in college and they told us you just told people you were with the DOD. I asked what he did there, and he looked right at me and stated "I can't tell you." I believed him that he really couldn't. I don't think he was a field agent of any sort. Really good at math so maybe some kind of cryptographer or number crunching analyst.

We have a very good friend that does work for the NSA. We generally know what he does from his history and his linguistic abilities as well as having two interviews with security clearance adjudicators, but other than that...that's all we know. He (and his DW) and are good enough friends that we have taken several trips with them over the years but still don't know *exactly* what he does. He certainly has an opinion on Edward Snowden, though. :) Nonetheless, when we have been out and about and he's been asked what he does for work, he says he's a computer nerd and doesn't do anything interesting.

He is a very humble guy and was once a member of the Old Guard..you know the guys that guard the Tomb of Unknown Soldier at Arlington...but he never discusses that. We knew him for a long time before we found out that tidbit of information and that was only because we saw a picture of him "guarding" hanging in his garage.

On the face of it, that seems like a reasonable (truthful) response that applies only to them and doesn't reflect on you. I'm guessing the tone of delivery is such as to imply criticism?

B/c if so, they've opened themselves up to a response of "Boy, that's not true in our case - we can't find enough hours in the day to do all we want."

I agree that could be a neutral comment, but can also be a critical comment at times depending on the context, tone, body languages, timing etc. I usually just try to let it go when it is delivered in a sour grapes context and change the subject.

I quit my job at megacorp at age 50 back in 2008. At the time, I didn't really know if I was retired or not. What I did know was I had no intentions of ever going back to the daily grind and could financially afford not to. DW was fully supportive back then (and still is).

I was very uncomfortable when people asked me "what do you do?" I usually just told them that I had just finished a 30 year career and was taking some time off. After a couple of years, I got a part-time seasonal job doing taxes and once again had an answer of "What do you do?". I stopped doing the part time job a couple of years ago and now that I'm 60, I have less of a problem saying "I'm Retired".

Having said that, next week is DW's annual work Christmas party and I'll probably get hit up with the question. I'll say I'm retired. They'll look at DW and wonder why her husband is retired and she's not. He must be a bum. But, the truth is I've been trying to get her to retire for a decade, but doesn't want to. She needs the social interaction of work. I don't.

So, I still cringe a little when the question comes up. I don't know why really. Maybe when I'm 70 I'll have a different attitude.

My husband and I are FI. He does not want to retire yet, since he enjoys his job. I stay home with our child and take care of the house. If someone asks what I do, I just say I'm a stay at home parent. I am perfectly fine with this arrangement, as is my husband, but it feels weird. It's kind of like my 25+ years of working with a pretty decent salary most of the time didn't matter since my husband is still working.

Yup.

"I'm a burden on society"

"I'm on the dole"

"Unemployed and not looking"

"Waiting for the devil to make work for my idle hands"

As expected, I got the question at DW's office Xmas party. I told the guy that I'm retired. He looked at me like I had 3 heads. He's 70 and couldn't imagine he'd ever retire. Turns out the guy is a gazillionaire and owns numerous businesses and is best friends with all of the CEO's of the big companies in town. Also, he's on the board of many organizations. I know all of this because I made the mistake of asking him what he does. He seemed like a nice enough person, but I figured the only reason he asked me was so I'd ask him back. I googled him when I got home. Seems his daddy was a socialite back in his day and junior inherited most of the businesses. So, old money. Yes, I'm envious.

I also met a financial planner that has a radio talk show. Believe it or not, he didn't even try to sign me up. Gotta love going to those holiday parties.

As expected, I got the question at DW's office Xmas party. I told the guy that I'm retired. He looked at me like I had 3 heads. He's 70 and couldn't imagine he'd ever retire. Turns out the guy is a gazillionaire and owns numerous businesses and is best friends with all of the CEO's of the big companies in town. Also, he's on the board of many organizations. I know all of this because I made the mistake of asking him what he does. He seemed like a nice enough person, but I figured the only reason he asked me was so I'd ask him back. I googled him when I got home. Seems his daddy was a socialite back in his day and junior inherited most of the businesses. So, old money. Yes, I'm envious.
Don't be envious! Look at it this way - - he's 70 and working, with all that entails. You're younger and retired, so you can spend your time doing what you want. I think your life sounds a lot better.

People have expectations. You must get married and have kids. You must work until you're 60, 62, 65....

In Japan, no one (mostly males) thinks of, much less, does, retire early. Or late, for that matter. Just make it to 65, and retire.

My father, who knows a bit about how much I make, says I can't retire early, as I don't have enough $. I said I have enough to support the income level I need to retire. It's twice my baseline spending. He can't comprehend it.

Many can't comprehend saving half of one's income. Or that after you've done that for 25 years, you'd have enough to retire. And that you'll actually be able to spend more in retirement than you did while saving for it.

I'm going to go with "I'm trying to be a professional underwater photographer". That way, it doesn't sound like I'm retired, even if I'm not making $ at my hobby!

I will be absolutely delighted to simply say “I’m retired”! Really don’t get why it should cause any anxiety!

People have expectations. You must get married and have kids. You must work until you're 60, 62, 65....

I'm going to go with "I'm trying to be a professional underwater photographer". That way, it doesn't sound like I'm retired, even if I'm not making $ at my hobby!

Yes, lots of expectations. We are in the process of moving into our new house and have had the occasion to meet some of the new neighbors. As expected, the conversation turns to "what do you do?" within about 30 seconds of meeting the new person. I have responded with "I retired from the Air Force a few years ago and now I am the in resident pool boy". So far, I have gotten a few chuckles and the subject shifts to something else... :D

Back
Top Bottom