Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-05-2021, 03:59 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
Same here, we use our Wireless paper calendar hanging in the kitchen, it's always on so we can see it.
You made me laugh out loud!

I'm glad I'm not the only person left who uses a paper calendar (and only a paper calendar).
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2021, 06:11 AM   #42

I have a paper calendar but forgot to change it from December .....

Also use the phone app bc it 'reminds' me. Hard to keep track of which day it is and when appointments are. Not lazy but weekday VS weekend becomes irrelevant
gayl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 06:51 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldShooter View Post
I have the same problem. I have so few scheduled events that I don't do the checking of calendar that I did in Olden Times.

DW and I use Google calendar and share our calendars with each other. Events in the display are color-coded by owner. The calendar automatically synchronizes on our tablets, phones, and home office computers. We can also set default and special notifications.
+1. This is me. Also part of my morning ritual each morning, after reading several newspapers on my tablet, is to head upstairs to my computer where among other things I check our google calendar. This morning DH has a scheduled teledoc appt, so the morning will be a bit different, but normally I have at least one email to respond to, bill or invoice to review or investment or banking item to execute.
Old 03-11-2021, 10:08 AM   #44
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico View Post
You made me laugh out loud!

I'm glad I'm not the only person left who uses a paper calendar (and only a paper calendar).
Me too. I never used the Outlook computer calendar when I was working, just the wire bound desktop "At-a-Glance" datebook. Since I retired, I have purchased the exact same datebook and keep it on top of my computer desk.
Old 03-11-2021, 10:24 AM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

Apple calendar with family share as default for one-time events. Reminder app with family share for recurring events (trash, recycling, filters, linen changes, etc). My wife stays on top of these things more than I. (We also use the apps and Siri for shopping lists, to-do lists, wine lists, favorite restaurants,...)

Our white board calendar and bulletin board just gather dust now.
Kwirk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 11:45 AM   #46
Moderator Emeritus

The first spreadsheet in my Excel investing and spending workbook, is called "calendar". Each line is the next day.

I don't have many entries, since I am retired and since we have a pandemic going on.
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 02:05 PM   #47
Full time employment: Posting here.

Great post, I'm having similar issues .... gotten worse since COVID took away some of the weekly events that defined the days for us.

Wife and I have syncronized calendars on our Apple devices. So we can see each others appointments and sometimes remind each other about them. My calendar events by default have alerts 1 day before and 2 hrs before. The alerts is set to pop up visibly on my phone screen with an audible beep. I set them up so they have to be acknowledged before they disappear. On the really important events, I will also set a phone alarm the night before that goes off early enough that I will look at my phone and see what I've forgotten. Seems like overkill but I'm enjoying retirement and calendar events mean less and less each year that goes by. : )
Old 03-12-2021, 12:05 PM   #48

Google calendar and a small white board in the den where the computer is. I update the white board weekly. If it's not on the white board I don't go!
Old 03-12-2021, 02:46 PM   #49

Paper calendar hanging on the side of the fridge for family stuff.

Google calendar for my individual stuff like dentist appointments.
ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 02:53 PM   #50

I used my phone calendar app and put several sounding alerts for important events including an alert a day before, 6 hours before, 1 hour before, etc.
tmm99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 12:17 AM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

I use Excel. Most of the stuff is the same and carries over from year to year---property tax payment date, tax filing date, etc. At the beginning of the year, I print it out and tape it to the bottom my of PC screen. I leave enough space (by month) to scribble in things as they come up: vacations, doc appointments, home projects, kids-related stuff, etc. At the end of the year I rinse and repeat. Generally speaking, the less number of entries on the calendar (other than vacations), the happier I am

Lucky Dude
luckydude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 09:23 AM   #52
Full time employment: Posting here.

I used the Apple home calendar and also the family calendar for DH's appointments. We both have the iWatch, so that keeps us up to date. When I first retired, it did take some getting used to.