How is this Possible?!? (fast international delivery)

I recall about 20 years ago ordering some software about 11pm at night Eastern time and received it about 10:30am the next morning. The software vendor had their distribution warehouse located near to FedEx in Memphis so they could pull it off. Pretty impressive.
Yeah, but today you get it in 20 mins or however long the download takes, LOL!

I had a similar experience with Zappos. I put in an order Tuesday night at around 7pm PST. The package was delivered the next morning at 9:23am, using UPS.

Looking at the tracking details, it arrived at Louisville, KT at 1:46am EST, which is UPS's distribution center.

It looks like Zappos had the package ready for UPS at 1am, which means they processed the order in 3 hours.

All this with free shipping. Overall, pretty impressive.

Now there's an idea that really sucks - or does it really blow? :cool:

(Sorry, couldn't resist...)

I believe it is all a matter of your reference point, as has been covered in the lesser known "Hoover's Theory of Relativity".

(OK, I apologize as well. That was every bit as lame as yours ;) )

-ERD50

Yeah, but today you get it in 20 mins or however long the download takes, LOL!

We've come a long way, baby....

2rygp.jpg

-ERD50

Last edited:
Yep - we've had several things shipped from China - custom configured Apple laptops. Once it leaves the factory near Shanghai, it hops over to Anchorage then Memphis, then here sometimes in just 25 hours!

I ordered a HP computer that went the same way. I don't recall if it went back to Anchorage or through Seattle before coming back to Alaska.

The funniest shipment traveled from California, to Memphis, back to California (different city), up to Anchorage and then to here.

DW buys a lot of stuff online. Am always amazed at the speed of delivery.

I was guessing that there is a lot of excess capacity in the delivery system, of all modes. Well except maybe for USPS.

Some places are just efficient, I think.

I often order from an industrial supplier that is over 200 road miles from me, and I always get it delivered by UPS in less than 24 hours.

I agree that it's kind of amazing.
McMaster Carr? They are known for that!

Mike D.

I've had good experience with Zappos, too. Free next-day shipping, it's great! I suppose it would be even better if I really liked frou-frou shoes...

Of course, I've gotten spoiled. I recently ordered a book from Amazon that they apparently don't keep stocked. It took a whole 10 days for it to be shipped! :nonono: I've been obsessively checking my orders to see when it shipped out.

Last edited:
I ordered some tea from our favorite tea merchant yesterday. This is a tea company based near Vancouver, British Columbia (Canada). Some friends took us by one of their stores in Victoria, BC when we visited. If you're a tea connoisseur, you'll probably really appreciate their offerings. Buy Tea Online - Murchie's Tea & Coffee | Loose Tea & Teabags

So, I place my order late morning yesterday. It's an international order, but they have a flat rate shipping fee for the US - I didn't upgrade to expedited shipping. Today, at about 1pm, DSL drives up and delivers the order.

It really was sent out of Richmond BC. That was like 26 hours, and it came from over 2500 miles away and crossed an international order! For a flat fee of $9.95? My mouth is still hanging open.

They also threw in a larger box of one of the teas I ordered - a bonus.

Dang, talk about service!
This is excellent service and a great way to build customer loyalty. Contrast that to the biggest store in the US, WalMart, where it might take a week and a half for them to deliver an out of stock item to their local store for pickup.

Ordered an iPhone case from Amazon yesterday afternoon, and it was in my mailbox delivered by USPS before noon today. It only went from Chino to San Diego, but I wasn't expecting it until Friday. Pretty cool.

Wow - sounds like a number of people are getting great shipping service! [Well, except for grasshopper]

Clearly the North American distribution system has made great strides over the past several years. I'm still in awe - really.

I often receive my amazon packages the next day (mostly from their fulfillment center in North Las Vegas). I've heard on Bloomberg that Amazon was building a fulfillment center just west of San Francisco for even faster delivery to the city.

I ordered some tea from Murchie's last night. We'll see how long it takes for the package to arrive.

Last edited:
I've heard on Bloomberg that Amazon was building a fulfillment center just west of San Francisco for even faster delivery to the city.

That'll be neat! "Speedy delivery from the SS Amazon via our fleet of ocean-going hovercraft!" They can transfer the cargo onto delivery trucks in one of the parking areas on the Great Highway. ;-)

(Just kidding. FIREd just had an east/west typo there. The Amazon fulfillment center he's referring to is in beautiful Tracy, California, scenically located atop Interstates 5, 205, and 580, along with some earthquake fault or other, about 40 miles east of San Francisco.)

That'll be neat! "Speedy delivery from the SS Amazon via our fleet of ocean-going hovercraft!" They can transfer the cargo onto delivery trucks in one of the parking areas on the Great Highway. ;-)

(Just kidding. FIREd just had an east/west typo there. The Amazon fulfillment center he's referring to is in beautiful Tracy, California, scenically located atop Interstates 5, 205, and 580, along with some earthquake fault or other, about 40 miles east of San Francisco.)

Oops, yes I meant east of SF... :LOL:

Last year I ordered (on ebay, I think) a little digital gizmo for $3.99 . It arrived the second day.....from Shanghai !. Postage included !

I ordered some tea from Murchie's last night. We'll see how long it takes for the package to arrive.

My shipment was picked up by DHL in Richmond, BC yesterday afternoon at 3:30 PM. It was delivered at 10:45 this morning in San Francisco. It cleared customs in Los Angeles at midnight. Not bad at all!

My shipment was picked up by DHL in Richmond, BC yesterday afternoon at 3:30 PM. It was delivered at 10:45 this morning in San Francisco. It cleared customs in Los Angeles at midnight. Not bad at all!
Wow, amazing! You win! :LOL:

I hope you enjoy the tea!

Wow, amazing! You win! :LOL:

I hope you enjoy the tea!

Well, I am a tad closer to Vancouver than you.:)

I'll try some tea tomorrow morning. I have been disappointed with the latest purchase from my local tea purveyor so I was looking for an alternative. I ordered a bunch of 2oz samples and I am sure I'll find something I like.

Well, I am a tad closer to Vancouver than you.:)

I'll try some tea tomorrow morning. I have been disappointed with the latest purchase from my local tea purveyor so I was looking for an alternative. I ordered a bunch of 2oz samples and I am sure I'll find something I like.
It's the best we've ever had short of buying our tea in England, so I do hope you find something you like.

Audreyh1,

I am a bit of a tea freak. Would you mind sharing what your favorite(s) are? I always like trying new ones.

I'm currently hooked Pu'erh. I heard about it on Dr. Oz. It's kind of strong and earthy, but I really like it with some Agave and French Vanilla creamer. :dance:

Audreyh1,

I am a bit of a tea freak. Would you mind sharing what your favorite(s) are? I always like trying new ones.

I'm currently hooked Pu'erh. I heard about it on Dr. Oz. It's kind of strong and earthy, but I really like it with some Agave and French Vanilla creamer. :dance:
I tend to like full-bodied black teas that I drink in the English style (as afternoon tea with milk and sugar), and the Murchie's Afternoon Tea Blend and Prince Charles Blend are both very good. Their Darjeeling Finest Blend is also very good.

I am also a fan of chai style - black tea with Indian spices.

I was served a rose tea when I visited Victoria - black tea with rose petals. It was outstanding and I ordered some from Murchie's. Only available loose leaf. Very good.

I ordered a sample of the Orange and Spice tea last time. It's a black tea blend with orange peel, cinnamon and clove. It's awesome. I drink that one hot without milk and a little honey.

I ordered some other fruit/black tea blends (apricot, blackcurrent, etc.) but I haven't tried them yet. The reviews say they are good for iced tea as well as hot. I'll get around to them eventually :).

Murchie's is also famous for their black and green tea blends, and our Victoria friends really like them, but I haven't actually tried any.

My husband drinks decaf only, and he likes their Afternoon Tea Blend decaf And their decaf Earl Grey. He also ordered some kind of tropical herbal blend which he really likes.

I've never had much luck with international deliveries being that speedy but the delivery speed in the US has been amazing to me sometimes. Especially UPS. Even USPS can deliver a NetFlix DVD in 2 days out here in the middle of nowhere (where I live).

I've never had much luck with international deliveries being that speedy but the delivery speed in the US has been amazing to me sometimes. Especially UPS. Even USPS can deliver a NetFlix DVD in 2 days out here in the middle of nowhere (where I live).
I sure love the convenience of ordering stuff online and getting it so quickly.

I've spent plenty of time out in the boonies chasing birds on a gravel road to nowhere, and it's amazing how many times a FedEx or UPS truck is out there too!

I ordered a bunch of stuff on Amazon Saturday night (11:45pm). The package was sent from Phoenix, AZ at 6:00am on Sunday (Easter Sunday!!!), and I received it today (Monday) at 12:45pm. Amazing...

I ordered a bunch of stuff on Amazon Saturday night (11:45pm). The package was sent from Phoenix, AZ at 6:00am on Sunday (Easter Sunday!!!), and I received it today (Monday) at 12:45pm. Amazing...
Wow!

Back
Top Bottom