How long should furniture last?

Beginning with our first house 35yrs ago, followed the "buy quality/buy once" tactic believing higher initial cost for quality furniture saves $ in the long run by avoiding replacement costs.
No regrets -maybe after we're gone the furniture will be sold cheap, but far more likely most of it ends up in our kids' houses (some already has, like bunk beds for grandkids).

That depends on WHICH LaZBoy recliner you bought. They seem to have an "economy" line along with the original, more durable line. I have 50+ year old rocker/recliner which was puked on by the infant who now has a kid in college. The recliner has been recovered once and is again beginning to show wear. Other than an occasional squeak when rocking, the recliner still works as new. Yes, it was expensive then, but I think I've gotten my money's worth ;-)

Laz-y-Boy just came by and repaired my recliner, so I take it all back! They didn't charge us a cent beyond the $149.23 that they charged two weeks ago before ordering the part (a proprietary linear actuator).

My recliner, while one of Lazy Boy's more expensive models, is worth the price; it is such a wonderful, comfortable recliner. I am still thinking of buying a second recliner just like it, so that I don't have to do without it if/when this happens again.

Hmm, great that they repaired yours. They told me they don't make house calls . . . I wonder if it varies by store. I am in a big city so that is not the issue. Not like they would have to drive 200 miles to get here.

Hmm, great that they repaired yours. They told me they don't make house calls . . . I wonder if it varies by store. I am in a big city so that is not the issue. Not like they would have to drive 200 miles to get here.

Perhaps they have a drive-through window?

The retail furniture market has been in turmoil for many, many years. Many cities, even large cities, just have one or two (or no) furniture stores selling decent furniture. 90% of the retail furniture market is simply junk.

And don't even think of Lazy Boy upholstered furniture and recliners to be anything other than throw away furniture. (I have one of their leather recliners.) If you want a good recliner, go for Barcolounger or Hancock & Moore.

I fortunately have inherited very fine furniture from the 40's--when my mother spent a year's salary on cherry and mahogany bedroom furniture.

My niece and nephew have very substantial homes. Some of their friends have $3-4 million homes. Not a single one is furnished with quality furniture. They have mostly brown or grey overstuffed leather furniture. The 45-50 year olds just don't care for fine furniture like we were raised with. The younger millenials haven't even started shopping for furniture as they're still living in their parents' basements. None of them will ever make it into Southern Living Magazine.

I was fortunate to have found a Hancock & Moore leather hide a bed at a garage sale for $200. It's like sitting/laying on heaven with goose down cushions. A couch like that retails for over $7,000. You cannot buy any H&M couch for less than $5K. It was a great buy.

It sounds like you're right; perhaps it varies by store.

I am less than 5 miles from the local Lazy Boy repair shop. The repairman told me a previous job that he had to drive to that morning (just before coming to my house) was about 20-30 miles away.

We spent relatively big bucks for Ethan Allen (headboard, chest for me, mirror-chest for her, sofa, ottoman, end tables, night stands for each) all ca 1970. ALL are in great shape and in use today - there is the occasional scratch on the wood. Otherwise, you wouldn't know that they hadn't been purchased a month ago. Fabrics are still immaculate. Every drawer works flawlessly. Quality lasts. YMMV

Quality lasts too long sometimes. DH and I bought a solid oak bedroom set in 1987. It’s the “golden oak” that was popular at the time. It is in as good shape as it was the day we bought it, but I’m no longer in love with it. I’d like something more stylish but not so much to spend the money. After all, it’s not as if we entertain in the primary bedroom.

Having learned my lesson with that furniture, I now either but used or medium-quality furniture. For example a few years ago I bought a table & chairs set from Costco for about $500. It won’t last for generations but it will last long enough for me to get tired of it. And if that happens I won’t feel guilty replacing it.

When I bought my first house in the early 90s, my mother worked selling furniture in High Point (North Carolina). While I mostly populated my home with cheap crap, I did take advantage of her discount and got a Stressless recliner. It has lasted almost 30 years!(!) but now the leather is wearing out. Thinking about seeing if I can get reupholstered.
I wish she’d still been selling furniture when I got married and moved out of the starter home. We went on a shopping spree…bed, mattress, sofa, dining room table and chairs, dresser, chest of drawers. It’s almost all still going strong after 20 years. The nice leather sofa is the only one that looks worn, thanks in large part to dogs. Trying to decide what to replace it with. Seriously doubt we’ll get 20 years use like last time.

FWIW DW and I are not recliner people so our findings may not apply. Our living/family room furniture was purchased over 26 years ago. I believe the brand was King Hickory out of NC. Anyway the saleslady told us we would get sick of it before it ever wore out. I guess she didn't realize our lack of taste. Still holding strong through the pounding of kids and grandkids.

In the front room DW went with a higher priced couch which should last well into the next generation. However it's pretty much for family photo ops and a place for the latest Edward Jones Rep to sit until they give up and leave.

But I must note that we did purchase a Lazy Boy sofa and loveseat for our lakehouse 20 years ago. Despite light usage it is very evident that the comfort level and wear are not on par with the previously mentioned purchases.

Quality lasts too long sometimes. DH and I bought a solid oak bedroom set in 1987. It’s the “golden oak” that was popular at the time. It is in as good shape as it was the day we bought it, but I’m no longer in love with it. I’d like something more stylish but not so much to spend the money. After all, it’s not as if we entertain in the primary bedroom.

Having learned my lesson with that furniture, I now either but used or medium-quality furniture. For example a few years ago I bought a table & chairs set from Costco for about $500. It won’t last for generations but it will last long enough for me to get tired of it. And if that happens I won’t feel guilty replacing it.

I'm the last person to judge "stylishness.":blush: Having said that, "quality" IMHO never goes out of style. DW IS able to judge stylishness. She got her degree in interior design. SHE thinks our "old but quality" EA furniture is still in style. She is STILL in love with it. By the way, full disclosure, we also bought SOME of the EA used and saved a fortune.

One real downside of quality furniture is that you feel the need to move it with you wherever you go. That was NOT a reasonable option when we moved to the Islands. So the EA is still in the old Homestead - waiting patiently for our return next summer (Lord willin' and the creek don't rise.) YMMV

Back
Top Bottom