Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-17-2021, 01:03 PM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

My bedroom dressers and night stands were purchased by my parents when they were married in the 40's. The tops needs refinishing, but the pieces are still sound and will be around as long as I am. When we purchased our current house 5 years ago, my dining room set was too small for our dining room, so we purchased a 30 year old Ethan Allen set in very good condition from a couple who was downsizing. I consider quality wood furnishings to last a lifetime if they are cared for. My old dining set is in the finished basement. Someday when I downsize, It will be used again.

We purchased new sofas when we moved here. It was the 3rd sofa set I've had since the 70's. I don't expect them to last.
bluelight is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-17-2021, 01:20 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by badatmath View Post
I guess La-Z-Boy is not exactly high end but this chair started going downhill within 2 years and now (7 years) the foot portion won't stay up. Do I assume this is normal life and buy another or change brands? My last one lasted 17 years and not so unpredictable. Not looking for fancy furniture due to pets but 7 years seems a little junky? IDK.
I have a big man Lazy Boy I bought direct from the factory via BIL. After 20 years or so, I wondered how long they were supposed to last since I have had to replace broken bolts, the square tube that operates the recliner levels, the springs under the seat, etc. multiple times. One answer I found on the Interweb was that recliners last 5 to 7 years. I am going on 22 years now and I feel pleased with my purchase.
Old 11-17-2021, 01:28 PM   #43

22 is really good!
badatmath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 03:59 PM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm sitting in my 21 year old lazy boy, early on the plastic bushings in the lift mechanism all broke i got new parts under warranty and replaced them,has been good since then.
ransil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 04:44 PM   #45
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I bought an expensive Lazy Boy power recliner in January, 2020. It has been wonderful and I absolutely love it. I even sleep in it most nights.

But then, for no reason at all, it broke a few weeks ago. The foot/leg supports won't go up and down any more. Seriously I love this recliner so much that the idea of having to go very long without it, is quite upsetting to me. I know, that's pretty juvenile but it is what it is. It didn't even last two years! Anyway, I asked about buying a new recliner just like it, but they told me that might take about a year for delivery. (sigh) So I need to have it repaired.

Frank determined that the linear actuator was broken, and since that is a proprietary part, we can't buy it. Lazy Boy is going to come out and fix it (on warranty). They came out and confirmed that it's the linear actuator. Oh, and despite the warranty I had to pay them $149.23 (so far).

Anyway they have to order that part before they can repair my recliner, and assure me it will only take two weeks for them to get it. Uh huh. With delays on delivery of nearly everything these days, I don't know. Plus I am thinking there will be higher demand than normal, with the holidays coming up. So, it could be delayed.

I am 73 with an over-funded retirement, and I do not want to ever have to go without my recliner for weeks again. I don't think I can get as comfy a power recliner as this one, that won't break. BUT - - I have a crazy insane plan that might work: Once it is finally fixed, I am seriously thinking of buying a second recliner just like it, so that I never have to go without my recliner for weeks ever again. If either recliner breaks, then I can use the unbroken one until it is fixed.

Blow That Dough!

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 08:03 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I am seriously thinking of buying a second recliner just like it, so that I never have to go without my recliner for weeks ever again. If either recliner breaks, then I can use the unbroken one until it is fixed.

Blow That Dough!
I think that's a perfectly reasonable conclusion. In fact, it wouldn't matter if there were no supply chain issues. Much of the LazyBoy line is special order and even in good times, there was a 6+ week wait for certain pieces. Sure, there is stock pieces around (in normal times), but if you want a particular fabric or color or certain options, that was/is all special order.

Plus, Frank needs something to sit in when he visits, so it would get some use and still be there in case of a failure. Unfortunately, in case of failure, Frank loses his seat for a few weeks.
Old 11-17-2021, 10:25 PM   #47
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
……I am 73 with an over-funded retirement, and I do not want to ever have to go without my recliner for weeks again. I don't think I can get as comfy a power recliner as this one, that won't break. BUT - - I have a crazy insane plan that might work: Once it is finally fixed, I am seriously thinking of buying a second recliner just like it, so that I never have to go without my recliner for weeks ever again. If either recliner breaks, then I can use the unbroken one until it is fixed.

Blow That Dough!
Great plan, but don’t wait - order a new one now. You might get the new one before the current one gets fixed.
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 01:21 PM   #48

Agree I am already thinking of a spare next time I buy. It is annoying when you use it daily to have it gone and such a hassle to get.
Old 11-19-2021, 09:59 AM   #49
Give me a forum ...

I have a solid wood dresser that I have had since childhood, actually my son has it now.
We recently replaced our living room furniture with a new Lazyboy set.
The old one was close to 20 years old, still feel great to sit in, but the leather was ripping in places (darn dog nails!)
6 years ago, we bought a bedroom set from an Amish company--solid wood, beautiful! I expect it will outlast us.
It definitely depends on how it is made.
Old 11-19-2021, 03:30 PM   #50
Confused about dryer sheets

You should contact La-Z-boy. They have a lifetime warranty on the mechanism and some other parts. The fire department I work at has them come out at no cost to repair the damaged recliners.
sidewinder0024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 04:05 PM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

Beginning with our first house 35yrs ago, followed the "buy quality/buy once" tactic believing higher initial cost for quality furniture saves $ in the long run by avoiding replacement costs.
No regrets -maybe after we're gone the furniture will be sold cheap, but far more likely most of it ends up in our kids' houses (some already has, like bunk beds for grandkids).
NameTaken2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 05:46 PM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

That depends on WHICH LaZBoy recliner you bought. They seem to have an "economy" line along with the original, more durable line. I have 50+ year old rocker/recliner which was puked on by the infant who now has a kid in college. The recliner has been recovered once and is again beginning to show wear. Other than an occasional squeak when rocking, the recliner still works as new. Yes, it was expensive then, but I think I've gotten my money's worth ;-)
papaof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 05:30 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Laz-y-Boy just came by and repaired my recliner, so I take it all back! They didn't charge us a cent beyond the $149.23 that they charged two weeks ago before ordering the part (a proprietary linear actuator).

My recliner, while one of Lazy Boy's more expensive models, is worth the price; it is such a wonderful, comfortable recliner. I am still thinking of buying a second recliner just like it, so that I don't have to do without it if/when this happens again.

Old 11-25-2021, 11:01 AM   #54

Hmm, great that they repaired yours. They told me they don't make house calls . . . I wonder if it varies by store. I am in a big city so that is not the issue. Not like they would have to drive 200 miles to get here.
Old 11-25-2021, 11:12 AM   #55

Quote:
Hmm, great that they repaired yours. They told me they don't make house calls . . . I wonder if it varies by store. I am in a big city so that is not the issue. Not like they would have to drive 200 miles to get here.
Perhaps they have a drive-through window?
Old 11-25-2021, 11:31 AM   #56
Give me a forum ...

The retail furniture market has been in turmoil for many, many years. Many cities, even large cities, just have one or two (or no) furniture stores selling decent furniture. 90% of the retail furniture market is simply junk.

And don't even think of Lazy Boy upholstered furniture and recliners to be anything other than throw away furniture. (I have one of their leather recliners.) If you want a good recliner, go for Barcolounger or Hancock & Moore.

I fortunately have inherited very fine furniture from the 40's--when my mother spent a year's salary on cherry and mahogany bedroom furniture.

My niece and nephew have very substantial homes. Some of their friends have $3-4 million homes. Not a single one is furnished with quality furniture. They have mostly brown or grey overstuffed leather furniture. The 45-50 year olds just don't care for fine furniture like we were raised with. The younger millenials haven't even started shopping for furniture as they're still living in their parents' basements. None of them will ever make it into Southern Living Magazine.

I was fortunate to have found a Hancock & Moore leather hide a bed at a garage sale for $200. It's like sitting/laying on heaven with goose down cushions. A couch like that retails for over $7,000. You cannot buy any H&M couch for less than $5K. It was a great buy.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 01:11 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
It sounds like you're right; perhaps it varies by store.

I am less than 5 miles from the local Lazy Boy repair shop. The repairman told me a previous job that he had to drive to that morning (just before coming to my house) was about 20-30 miles away.

Old 11-26-2021, 02:02 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

We spent relatively big bucks for Ethan Allen (headboard, chest for me, mirror-chest for her, sofa, ottoman, end tables, night stands for each) all ca 1970. ALL are in great shape and in use today - there is the occasional scratch on the wood. Otherwise, you wouldn't know that they hadn't been purchased a month ago. Fabrics are still immaculate. Every drawer works flawlessly. Quality lasts. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 03:47 PM   #59

Quality lasts too long sometimes. DH and I bought a solid oak bedroom set in 1987. It’s the “golden oak” that was popular at the time. It is in as good shape as it was the day we bought it, but I’m no longer in love with it. I’d like something more stylish but not so much to spend the money. After all, it’s not as if we entertain in the primary bedroom.

Having learned my lesson with that furniture, I now either but used or medium-quality furniture. For example a few years ago I bought a table & chairs set from Costco for about $500. It won’t last for generations but it will last long enough for me to get tired of it. And if that happens I won’t feel guilty replacing it.
Philliefan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 03:52 PM   #60
Recycles dryer sheets

When I bought my first house in the early 90s, my mother worked selling furniture in High Point (North Carolina). While I mostly populated my home with cheap crap, I did take advantage of her discount and got a Stressless recliner. It has lasted almost 30 years!(!) but now the leather is wearing out. Thinking about seeing if I can get reupholstered.
I wish she’d still been selling furniture when I got married and moved out of the starter home. We went on a shopping spree…bed, mattress, sofa, dining room table and chairs, dresser, chest of drawers. It’s almost all still going strong after 20 years. The nice leather sofa is the only one that looks worn, thanks in large part to dogs. Trying to decide what to replace it with. Seriously doubt we’ll get 20 years use like last time.
DireWolf is offline   Reply With Quote