How long until I adjust to retirement?

I do plan to sub, and I'm trying to get some tutoring gigs going because I really loved the teaching part, but as anyone in education knows, the ancillary duties create too much frustration, hence my retirement both times. This last time, thanks to the pandemic--my double dipping job required that I teach kids in front of me, kids on a Zoom call, and kids in another location all at once. It was wretched.

If you plan to substitute teach, why did you retire at all? You know the schools are dying for subs, and they'll be getting a great deal by paying you a pittance per diem pay. It's time for you to go into a completely new chapter in your life.

It pays to have hobbies and interests that can give you something to look forward to. For example, I'm into building and I seldom stop working on something. We travel once or twice a year overseas (in most years.) And I have a lake house with two boats. My wife and I are very busy with our church too.

I am hyperactive and sometimes have trouble relaxing too. I do not lay on the beach when I go on vacation- I EXPLORE! I made a list of hobbies I'd always wanted to try, and started trying them out. I successfully learned to make sourdough bread, but then quit because it was making me fat. I learned to make soap and I love it- my friends do too as I make more than I could possibly use. I completed lots of long overdue house projects, and fixed most of my broken jewelry.

I retired about 18 months ago and I'm just getting to the point where I don't feel like I "should" be doing something. It takes time. Enjoy figuring out what you really want to spend your time on!

If you plan to substitute teach, why did you retire at all? You know the schools are dying for subs, and they'll be getting a great deal by paying you a pittance per diem pay. It's time for you to go into a completely new chapter in your life.

It pays to have hobbies and interests that can give you something to look forward to. For example, I'm into building and I seldom stop working on something. We travel once or twice a year overseas (in most years.) And I have a lake house with two boats. My wife and I are very busy with our church too.

I’m not the OP and I can’t answer for him/her, but I’m the dentist who previously posted on this thread. I sold my practice in 2018 and today I work 1.5 days a week. Many have asked me this same question, “if I’m still working, then why did I retire at all?”

My answer is- freedom and control. By selling my practice, I now have the freedom to work as much or as little as I want. I have the freedom to go off and travel whenever I want. I can do all this unencumbered with the responsibilities of owning an office and the inherent responsibilities towards my patients and staff. I still love being a dentist, I just no longer wanted the burdens of owning and running a practice.

People have also mentioned the financial end of this. As a dental practice owner, I made much more than as an associate/employee dentist- so why would I want to trade a high income situation for one that is much lower? My answer is that, if I no longer have to do it for the money, then why would I care if I am now making a pittance compared to before? I now practice dentistry totally on my own terms.

I’m guessing the OP probably has similar thoughts

Last edited:
Like my old Scoutmaster told me years ago when I was an 11yo scout at my Tenderfoot Board of Review, "you will get out of life what you put into life". It holds, too, for retirement. It shouldn't necessarily have to be "work" to enjoy retirement, it just takes some "effort" to put yourself on the right glide path. It will come to you.

We adjusted fairly quickly.

One thing that surprised me is how quickly our mindsets moved from 'things' to experiences.

The very first thing my spouse spouse wanted to do when I retired was sell the house. Too big, too much work. And get rid of all the clutter.

The second was to book that African safari. This had been at the top of her bucket list for several years.

Substituting is NOTHING like actually teaching. No pointless meetings, late night prep, grading papers, or futzing with Zoom teaching—the straw that broke this camel’s back. Subs roll in IF they want to, interact with the kids (if they want to) and other adults. It’s some of the fun of teaching without the crap.

Back
Top Bottom