How many RVers here?

The best! Still outside my mum's place. Sleep in the van. No extra work for her. And I sleep better than in her spare room.

A bicycle - recently upgraded to electric. Mostly used for groceries or to get into town centres. But if it's too far to bike campsites often have a shuttle. Or a bus stop. And I can always get a taxi. Only once or twice there was a nearby train station.

In Europe many small towns have RV parkings in or near town centres. To draw people to their local business. These are my favourite places to stay. Just walk everywhere.

Just a flat in a highrise. So not afraid of frozen water pipes. I have the post office collect mail - or redirected to my mum...

Sounds like the best of both worlds. I’m wondering how this unit will handle sitting outside in a New England winter if we’re not using it. Leaks? Mice? Something to think carefully about and if we did buy one, we’d have to commit to using it so it doesn’t degenerate in place...

The variety in RVs is like the salad dressing aisle at the supermarket.

Take the time to define what you want to accomplish with the RV. We're very happy with our small travel trailer (18 foot), and oversized (1 ton diesel pickup) tow vehicle.

This meets our wants because

1. It is just enough room for the family of three, and the dog and cat. Previous experience kenneling pets for vacation wasn't so good. When the kid grows up/out the additional space compensates for a more creaky body (hopefully).

2. It is small enough to get most spaces at forest service campgrounds. We have come to love forest service camping. No hookups, but water and pit toilets usually available. And more privacy than most other campgrounds. Our overriding purpose was/is to camp, as in to get away from people and urban sprawl to be with nature.

3. Dropping the trailer at camp gives us flexibility to go explore without concern for height/width/weight restrictions.

4. The big tow vehicle means that we're not restricted to the slow lane. There is always the power to get up the hill, and the engine brake to slow down the other side.

We didn't get a Class A because $$$, and it wouldn't fit in the driveway, and they have a bunch of crap that we don't need (outdoor television, washer/dryer, indoor television, etc.)

We really liked the Winnebago Revel (Class B), but it wasn't set up for three people to be comfortable.

We almost did a truck camper, but we're glad we have the TT because of #3 above. Dropping a trailer is way easier than a truck camper.

We skipped the Class C because of #3 also.

This summer we've done about five trips, with the highlight being three weeks around Glacier NP. Our one stay at an RV Park was disappointing, and so we avoid them like the plague--just too close to your neighbor for our taste. State park camping can be good, but still usually close to your neighbor. The NP campgrounds are crowded, and have small sites. So you need a smaller rig to stay there. They do get you close to the sights though, and for very reasonable $. There are RV resorts that cater to those with a need for lots of amenities, and exclusion of the riff-raff. Next summer we're headed to Denali, AK but we'll take a month to get there, and another month to get back.

Overall, start by looking at floor plans. You're buying a home on wheels, so it has to be livable for you. Then move to quality and amenities. Keep in mind that while there is everything under the sun for sale, most of the ingredients are the same across RV manufacturers (appliances are made by Dometic, Class A,B,&C are built on American truck/van chassis, etc.) So it really is like shopping for salad dressing, just 20,000 times the cost.

We have been a big road trip couple for many years and car campers since retirement (nearly 5 years). We have learned a lot about what works for us and what doesn’t. As such, we have a four season, four wheel drive class B on order now. It’s just the two of us so a class B will work fine. We don’t feel like we need much considering we have mastered car camping. The idea of not having to break down camp every day (or move in and out of hotels) is more and more appealing. Most of the set up and teardown falls on me since DH is a big fisher and wants to be catching dinner or breakfast. Yes, the trade off for a fresh trout taco is worth it.
We find ourselves going to some beautiful secluded areas and feel like there are a lot more places we would like to explore. Our new RV will allow us to tour more ski areas in the winter and explore more remote in the summer.
Some of the pros for us include easier food prep, a comfortable (ready made) bed, plenty of storage (read-easier to be organized and take more toys), potentially longer/further trips and a more over all comfortable setting (including running water and a cassette toilet).
Even though are excited about our purchase, we were a little sentimental about our (last) car camping trip (just returned last week). In no time, we will have new memories in our RV.
The decision is really a personal choice. So much to consider, especially when a couple is involved. Good luck to your decision. Happy travels.

I really like the idea of a Class B or B+ but the weight limits on most of them are so restrictive I just don’t see how to make it work for full timing. DW is heart set on a diesel pusher in the 35-37 foot range. I’d love something a little smaller but some of the wish list items are tough on the shorter motor homes. Plus we plan to pull something like a Jeep so it won’t be that bad.

The good news is we have years to figure it all out and more importantly to start downsizing our stuff. I think just being free to go see whatever you want is the real appeal for us.

I’m excited but nervous. There is a lot to consider when you are transitioning from a traditional home to one on wheels. I hope we figure it all out and hit the road one day.

I am very interested in the larger Bs that have dually rear wheels. They should have the load carrying capacity of the Cs.

My C is a shorter one at 24'. Being light for a C, it has something like 2,500 lbs of load capacity if I remember correctly. There's no way to put that heavy load on it, unless I fill it with bricks.

The only problem with the Bs built on the dually Sprinter chassis is the price. They run more than $100K new.

PS. Even the larger Bs are too small for full-timing to me (I only use an RV for travel). They can pull 5,000 lbs however, so a toad should not cause a problem.

Last edited:
Did I post my favorite RV story yet?

One RV post I read claimed to have installed a macerating pump on his blackwater tank...he'd empty the tank by finding an isolated country road and flipping a dash switch to turn on the pump, spraying the contents along the side of the road while merrily driving along...no dump fees!

We recently bought a Sprinter van, the extra tall & extra long version w/ 4wd. It was just the basic cargo van & I'll add the furniture, fridge, etc. to turn it into a travel van. I think this size is called a type B? It has a v-6 diesel and gets about 18 mpg.

I've already installed nice windows on the sides & rear doors, and added a layer of insulation and sheet linoleum on the floor. There will obviously be a lot more to do to make it comfortable.

We looked at the larger RV's but they just seemed too big for the two of us and the type of places we want to visit.

I have not looked to see what the barebone 4x4 Sprinter van costs, but Winnebago turns it into a class B with amenities like shower and toilet, and sells it as the Revel. List price: $169K!

Revel-at-Fremont-Pass-895x570.jpg

rv-f2b-18.jpg

One RV post I read claimed to have installed a macerating pump on his blackwater tank...he'd empty the tank by finding an isolated country road and flipping a dash switch to turn on the pump, spraying the contents along the side of the road while merrily driving along...no dump fees!

i worked with a guy who claimed he knew a guy who did the same thing. sounds like an urban legend to me but if true what kind of moron would do that much less brag about it?

i worked with a guy who claimed he knew a guy who did the same thing. sounds like an urban legend to me but if true what kind of moron would do that much less brag about it?

I seem to recall, (but my memory isn't.......what was I talking about again?), hearing that Prevost offered a similar feature...going back a few years though.

I dunno. Never underestimate what an idiot can or will do.

I have not looked to see what the barebone 4x4 Sprinter van costs, but Winnebago turns it into a class B with amenities like shower and toilet, and sells it as the Revel. List price: $169K!

Revel-at-Fremont-Pass-895x570.jpg

rv-f2b-18.jpg

This is actually what we want to have built (or buy a Panoramic RV, Canadian brand if they start selling when we sell our house.). We are considering an exact layout but having electronic upgrades to let us live in it for days at a time. Cheaper than this rather bare bones sprinter. Not cheap!

I purchased my bare-bones extended 4wd Sprinter used for an extremely good deal. It is a 2016 with 12,000 miles and I found it listed online drastically mispriced. The dealership actually sold it to me for $34,000. The carfax wholesale price was $44K and retail was $54K. I'd never heard of a dealership honoring a mispriced vehicle before.

I can't imagine spending $169K for the Winnebago version.

That is just so wrong !! Would someone really be that stupid .......yup 🙄

Me neither. I'm feeling pretty good about the $15,750 I spent on my 1993 Airstream B190 with 57K miles. I needed to put a few thousand into it to get it ready for the road, but I feel pretty confident that it has years of relatively reliable RV'ing ahead of it now.

Plus, I imagine that new Winnebago will lose more in value in the first year or two of it's life than my little older rig will in the entire rest of it's life!

Omg, that’s revolting! Can you imagine someone walking by that mess with their kids?? It’s a freaking health hazard too, that guy is an idiot.

Me neither. I'm feeling pretty good about the $15,750 I spent on my 1993 Airstream B190 with 57K miles. I needed to put a few thousand into it to get it ready for the road, but I feel pretty confident that it has years of relatively reliable RV'ing ahead of it now.

Plus, I imagine that new Winnebago will lose more in value in the first year or two of it's life than my little older rig will in the entire rest of it's life!

That $169K is the MSRP, and I have read that MSRPs of RVs are even more outrageous than that of cars. Someone on the Web suggested that it could be had for a bit more than $100K, perhaps $120K. Even that seems high to me, but then they do not make many of this type, and have to make a profit.

Just get a used one from a 3 yr burnout or misfortune at half price.

To tell the truth, that is the only RV I ever thought was cool.

Pop ups (almost) rule!

11 weeks and 11,000 miles this summer. $4,000 used investment and 18mpg with the van. Not an ideal tow vehicle but if it's warm, it's a 20' screen porch and not a box with tiny windows needing A/C. Hookups optional as we hardly used electricity and have a solar panel and LP gas for the fridge and stove.

Attachments

• IMG_5842.jpg
    IMG_5842.jpg
    400 KB · Views: 44
..............18mpg with the van. Not an ideal tow vehicle ...........
Actually minivans make great tow vehicles for light campers as long as they have adequate cooling for the transmission. They are spacious inside and capable of hauling as much weight as a light pickup truck.

Every time I pulled our popup camper (years ago) with our 1999 Chrysler Town, and Country minivan, it searched for the right gear endlessly, and pulled with alot of RPM, and drama....not ideal !

Back
Top Bottom