How many RVers here?

I won't be of much help, I'm afraid, as I purchased my used class B only about 6 weeks ago and, with the exception of one overnight stay in my SIL's parking lot, and a day trip to the Gilroy Garlic Festival, have not used it much yet. It's a 26 year-old van, with fairly low miles and in good condition. However, it is still middle-aged and, as such, going through a slight mid-life crisis. Some plastic and rubber parts, gaskets etc have decided to transition to the great RV park in the sky, so I've been effecting a few minor repairs. I'm making a few changes, and basically getting it ship-shape and ready for action.

Considering that I envisaged a happy life on the road with my newfound camper van, I've been having quite a lot of fun with it parked in front of my house. Most days, I'll spend an hour or two pottering around, getting to know the van, fixing the small things, figuring out how everything works, and making plans for future work. This afternoon, after replacing a broken cupboard door latch, and sourcing and ordering a couple of new kitchen drawer slides, I sat back on the sofa, with my feet up on the kitchen cabinetry, thinking to myself, "This is my van. How cool!" Nearly every time I head out to spend an hour or two in it, a neighbor will stop by for a chat. This little class B camper has been good for my social life - and I've hardly driven it anywhere yet.

Sometimes, if I have nothing else to do, I'll head outside and take a nap in it. Basically, this little RV gives me new things to think about and do. There is always a job I can be busying myself with in it, if I need something to do. For the jobs that are outside my skill set, it gives me new opportunities to spend money, paying others to do the work for me :D

Can anyone else relate to actually having fun with an RV without even driving it anywhere, or am I just a bit soft in the head? :LOL:

This sounds pretty cool to me! It’s not a bad way to pass the time and I’d say it’s equivalent to folks who buy boards and basically park them at the slip and party on them right there! What make and manufacturer is your van?

Another rver here in a vintage Airstream. The suggestion to rent is a great one. There are so many choices.. Small van, mid-sized motorhome, towables in various sizes and in my experience the sort of rving you want to do (kinds of camping) will drive the choices you make.

How you travel and your preferred destinations (posh resorts, busy family campgrounds, remote places, etc...) may drive decisions about what sort of rig to get.

When I "graduated" from tent camper to rv, we rented a variety of things for week long trips and rapidly crossed many options off the list. We started with a tent trailer (popup) and worked our way through some larger towables and then small to mid-sized motorhomes. There were valuable lessons learned along the way about travel habits and most especially finding a good fit for the right type of rv for the sorts of places we wanted to visit. This process was a little like Goldilocks finding the right bed but well worth it.

This is great advice. We have a home in Eastern Connecticut and I’m a bit uneasy about leaving it empty for a protracted period of time. I like my house, town I’m in and it’s rurality. I’d need the space and land I have now for a good sized RV parking area. The idea of renting is a good one and can calibrate us on whether this lifestyle is for us. There are just too many options in life I suppose!

Major Tom, you should take the Roadtrek out for a few more short trips.

How about Point Reyes or Bodega Bay? Or Napa if you like to hang out where there are more human activities? In my RV trips, I alternate between nature and culture destinations to have a variety. You have so many choices around you.

Yes, lots of choices here. There are definitely some short trips in the works. West Marin, including areas like Point Reyes, Muir Beach, and Mount Tam are all on the list, as well as all sorts of places on the coast, such as Half Moon Bay and Big Sur.

What make and manufacturer is your van?

It's a 1993 Airstream B190 (NW-Bound was close, but I wanted a section over the cab, which the Roadtreks don't have). It's built on an Econoline E-350 chassis, with a fiberglass high top. I wanted to be able to stand in it. The lower van conversions without the fiberglass high-tops were appealing, in terms of structural integrity and fewer things to leak in the rain, but the truth is that I'm a homebody. If I can't stand up in it, I will go more than a little stir-crazy. Terrible gas mileage, but everything else about it suits me quite well.

Alright! Compared to a Roadtrek, the B190 is quite roomy. It even has a dry bath.

With the overcab bed, it has as much usable space as many modern class Bs of more length, such as the ones built on the 24' Sprinter chassis. I have been eyeballing a few Sprinter class Bs, and they are pricey (MSRP of more than $100K). Even used ones run $60K to $70K. The big ones have dually rear wheels for more load carrying, which I like, along with the ability to pull a car. I like to have that latter option.

Last edited:
Yes, class B's can be pricey. To the uninitiated, one might think they'd be cheaper than something bigger, like a class C, but not so. I think the recent surge in interest in the whole vanlife thing, and these lifestyles, has only served to make class B's even more desirable.

I used to think that I could never justify spending 60K or more on an RV or motorhome, especially as they are depreciating assets. However, if I were full-timing and really enjoying it, I could find a way to justify the expenditure.

My 1993 class B in good condition with 57K miles, cost a little under $16K. New tires, brakes, and some front end work, as well as other bits and bobs to get me on the road (not forgetting sales tax), probably brought the total to ~$20K. I consider that a bargain to get my feet wet, and decide whether I want to do this for the longer term.

But man - that gas mileage. It's a 1-ton van powered by a 7.5L engine, pulling a little house. Sometimes, I imagine that I can almost see the gas gauge going down!

We've been RV'ers since 1995, and have a 36 foot fifth wheel trailer with a bunkhouse sleeping 4, a front bedroom with queen bed and four slides that give us enough room for a love seat and two recliners. We are spoiled to having room other RV's just don't have. We have A/C, 2 televisions (on cable), and a strong WIFI.

Where Class A's, Class B's and Class C's are suited to those that constantly travel from place to place, a fifth wheel or travel trailer is well suited to stay in one place awhile and then travel to another locale. They are especially great to take to Florida for the winter--staying in RV parks.

Our fifth wheel stays in storage at a member owned deeded campground in the Blue Ridge Mountains--an hour from the edge of Atlanta. The park moves our trailer on a campsite for $20. It costs $450 a year dues, but we can stay 14 nights per month for $1.00 a night. Our facilities are 5 star, and we just love the area with 4500' mountains.

We just got home last night from a weekend in Gatlinburg. While rooms there are reasonably priced in winter and mid week, on weekends the hotels are in the $200+ range nightly. Add $50 meals for us and the grandkids, and just a weekend gets extremely expensive. Our camper is paid for, and we really prefer having our own kitchen to cook in. The RV for us is a home away from home without the big cash outlay.

Last edited:
I spend a lot of time in my 30" A-class.

For newcomers I think the layout often is the most challenging part to get right. Hard to know what you want without trying. So renting first is a good idea. I swapped mine in for a different model after 2 years. An expensive mistake but still worth it.

Right now I'm parked outside my mum's house. She is moving places and I'm assisting. Very nice to have my own place with me.

During winter I often take a longer trip to the southern parts of Europe to escape the snow and cold of Scandinavia. 2-3 months or so starting some time in jan/feb.

I have been thinking about bringing a smaller car on a trailer. Would be practical on those longer trips.

I occasionally go on car or plane + hotel trips. But the best part of RVing is to always come home to my own place and my own bed no matter where I go. No hotel can match that.

Yes, class B's can be pricey.

Yeah, We paid right at $100k (maybe a bit more) for our Roadtrek about ten years ago. Since then, we have put over 210,000 miles on without any mechanical problems (knock on wood) and expect that same performance for at, at least, another 100,000. Remember, these things are build on a commercial chassis (in our case a gas engine Express Van) designed for long-term, heavy-duty use by drivers who are not motivated to treat the vehicle with great care.

But man - that gas mileage. It's a 1-ton van powered by a 7.5L engine, pulling a little house. Sometimes, I imagine that I can almost see the gas gauge going down!

Yeah, I suppose that could be considered a problem. We get between 14 and 16 MPG depending on how much stop-and-go driving is involved. (FWIW, when I tell people this, the most common response is: "My pickup doesn't even get that!") Anyway, things cost. There is no way around it. I just consider fuel to simply be another cost of this life-style... and not even the greatest.

Watch the YouTube channel RV Lifestyle featuring the Wendlands. They have a Class B and travel all over.

I'd strongly suggest joining rving groups on fb. I've been seriously considering going on the road full time. Joining these groups and listening to many of the posters comments has changed a lot of that thinking. Many of those ppl are doing it because they can't afford life and the cost of stick homes not for the adventure part. Many are living in the rv's with several kids. The rv campgrounds sound miserable. I'd lean towards a few acres in different areas where one could pull the rv in for that particular season but that also has it's own problems.

I'd look on iRV2 Forums instead of Facebook. The iRV2 group does it because they like it. We both are now retired and just upgraded to a 38' Class A (motorhome) to get the heck out of the snow months. I'm a bit leery of leaving the house for so many months but with proper prep it will work.

Ray

We just thought with two dogs this would be a good way to travel. Our initial thought about getting a Class A somewhere in the 32’ to 35’ range was based on comfort features. Living in it full time means we’d want a dry bath and things like a king sized bed if possible. And being able to cook your own meals is a big plus. The plan would be to tow something like a Jeep behind it to explore the areas we visit.

We have a Golden Retriever and a Labrador Retriever in a 38' Class A with an "RV King" bed, which is 72" wide instead of 76" wide but still 80" long. Remember that the front five feet or so of the gas Class A is going to be the engine and driving compartment.

It is very nice to have all of our stuff and not have to worry about cleanliness of others, etc. We have a bath and a half so during the infrequent times we have guests we just use the full bath at the rear. We go when we want and we come back when we want. We followed others advice and keep 99% of everything we need in the Class A all the time. To leave on a trip we add food, some clothes, the dogs and leave.

Six for cocktails, four for dinner and sleeps two. :)

Ray

Last edited:
I spend a lot of time in my 30" A-class.

For newcomers I think the layout often is the most challenging part to get right. Hard to know what you want without trying. So renting first is a good idea. I swapped mine in for a different model after 2 years. An expensive mistake but still worth it.

Right now I'm parked outside my mum's house. She is moving places and I'm assisting. Very nice to have my own place with me.

During winter I often take a longer trip to the southern parts of Europe to escape the snow and cold of Scandinavia. 2-3 months or so starting some time in jan/feb.

I have been thinking about bringing a smaller car on a trailer. Would be practical on those longer trips.

I occasionally go on car or plane + hotel trips. But the best part of RVing is to always come home to my own place and my own bed no matter where I go. No hotel can match that.

I like the fact you sleep in your own bed, that’s incredibly alluring! How do you handle getting around when you park it somewhere? Do you have a motorbike or bicycle with you? I understand the excellent mass transit in Europe, but are RV parks near train stations? Do you have a home you leave when you hit the road? Any apprehension leaving the place empty while your in the road? I’m nervous about leaving my house empty during the winter months...

We are in the process of trying to sell ours after 12 years and 10k miles. Between the price of gas and RV parks we can take our car and stay cheaper in motels. Some RV parks say you can’t leave your dogs in there while you are gone.

We had a 36ft Gas Holiday Rambler Motorhome and loved it; however, we were still working and i didn't use it enough and sold it after two years. Believe it or not, I got what I paid for it lol. Gosh, now that we are retiring soon I feel like I miss it want another one...This time a larger one and a Diesel Rig.... The cost is also a concern though plus, DW said NO!:confused:?

Yes you should rent before buying and make sure it’s for the same amount of time so you know if it’s enough space. Bad stuff
Have to unhook to go or do anything.
Very limited living and storage space.
Massive depreciation. (Usually 50% in 5 years)
RV parks are pretty full and expensive these days. (Ours is $40 tonight)
Rv service and warranties suck.

Good stuff
No hotels/restaurants
More flexible schedule
Bathroom/kitchen at location
Boondocking (limited shower/toilet usage)
Social interaction at Rv parks

We have been living in a big motorhome for a loooong time and love it.

My parents were campers (all kinds from tents to big motorhomes) and DH and I have also always had some kind of camper, the last was 30 foot Class A, towed a Jeep, went all over the U.S. and Canada. We enjoyed it for many years. And then suddenly it seemed like work--hooking and unhooking the Jeep, hooking up to water and sewer, dumping the tanks, backing into tight spots, maintenance issues, etc. So we sold the RV and now travel using AirBnbs. That suits us better now and is no more expensive when you consider fuel, maintenance, etc. For any who has not tried RVing I agree with other posters, rent before you buy.

We bought a pop up camper that sits on our 4x4 Tacoma truck. It’s made two hours from us in Woodland, Ca. We can go anywhere and have absolute quiet at night. I understand the comfort of motor homes, but our style is to get way out in the mountains or desert, hike, stargaze, etc. RV parks have always seemed like giant parking lots. Different strokes for different folks, I get it.

We live in an RV, a travel trailer, but don't travel in it. We do move spots from time to time as needed, which is the benefit of it.

If we stay in it another year or two, I'll have lived more of my life in wheeled dwellings than stick built. :D

Made me look. Our average over the past 8 years is $22.82/night.

Since you are full timers I assume you stay in one location for a month or so and get a nice discount as a result. We don't stay anywhere longer than a week but frequent COE and National Parks which allow us to use our Sr. pass and get 50% off the rack rate.

Yes, in the summer, we stay one place often for a week, and at least once for a month. We have tried a few places for the winter (Florida, Arizona, Texas) and enjoy far south Texas the most. Now, it feels like home.

I rent a cargo van twice a year. Put my bed, recliner, microwave, ice box, bring a 100ft cord off to what ever. van cost 500 unlimited miles. I have spent 4000 and driven 50000 miles. I stay in national park.. get in free and camp $9 a day with electitisity. the van gets 20mpg. when need to Walmart is my second home.

Very interesting cost data. So For a time, it seemed being a newbie added some cost to that first year...but then it seems the price of it all, or else your quality of living increased putting that first year down into 5th highest.

So it appears the cost of RVing is going up?

Oh, ya. Prices are up since 2006. In my spreadsheet, I give every month a $ goal, and also have a yearly cost goal.

2006-2010, the goal was under $600 a month. In 2010, raised the goal to $750 a month. In 2018, raised the goal to $1000 per month.

Sounds like big jumps, but over the course of a month $250 is $8.33 a night.

I like the fact you sleep in your own bed, that’s incredibly alluring!

The best! Still outside my mum's place. Sleep in the van. No extra work for her. And I sleep better than in her spare room.

How do you handle getting around when you park it somewhere? Do you have a motorbike or bicycle with you? I understand the excellent mass transit in Europe, but are RV parks near train stations?

A bicycle - recently upgraded to electric. Mostly used for groceries or to get into town centres. But if it's too far to bike campsites often have a shuttle. Or a bus stop. And I can always get a taxi. Only once or twice there was a nearby train station.

In Europe many small towns have RV parkings in or near town centres. To draw people to their local business. These are my favourite places to stay. Just walk everywhere.

Do you have a home you leave when you hit the road? Any apprehension leaving the place empty while your in the road? I’m nervous about leaving my house empty during the winter months...

Just a flat in a highrise. So not afraid of frozen water pipes. I have the post office collect mail - or redirected to my mum...

Sorry I missed seeing this thread until it was in the newsletter.

We are full time RVers. I just stepped back to take this photo and it is a beautiful day on Lake Ontario. IMG_3525.jpg

A lot of folks recommend renting first. We had never had an RV or been in anyone else’s before we decided to sell our house and go full time. We just knew we would like it, for a lot of reasons, and we do! Clearly we are not van dweller types, but we see lots of them and they are great for covering distances easily. We are slow travelers. We have been doing this for 27 months and have 18k miles but the first 6k were in the first 5 months. We learned fast to slow down.

We never rented because if we had, I am pretty sure I never would have gotten an RV at all. Those CruiseAmerica C’s are beat up junk compared to my MH. There is just no correlation with the way we live in our RV and what it would have been like to rent some hard used Class C. I don’t think renting an RV for a week when you have no idea what you are doing and spending long periods of time in your own RV that you know like the back of your hand are anything alike at all.

We never rented because if we had, I am pretty sure I never would have gotten an RV at all. Those CruiseAmerica C’s are beat up junk compared to my MH. There is just no correlation with the way we live in our RV and what it would have been like to rent some hard used Class C. I don’t think renting an RV for a week when you have no idea what you are doing and spending long periods of time in your own RV that you know like the back of your hand are anything alike at all.

Cruise America has a refurbishment center about a mile from my house, and they are always offering sweet deals to get the refurb'd RV's out to wherever they need to go. (example: Phoenix to Denver, up to 6 days at $9/day, 1500 free miles. You pay gas and anything else.) I've been thinking about doing that as a way to see if I'd like RV's since I have no experience at all.

We rent our home out RVing with bumper pull Love it Don’t want to sell house until we decide if we are going full time or not

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom