Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-25-2023, 06:05 PM   #61
Recycles dryer sheets

Pay for YTTV, Prime and Netflix, but Netflix is comp’ed by TMobile. Thinking of signing back up for HBO, probably as a free trial. We loved the 1st season of White Lotus and want to see season 2. We have a few free channels, like Roku, that actually have decent content and aren’t too difficult to navigate. I found the old Dennis Weaver movie “Duel” (Spielberg’s first movie) the other day and loved watching it again.

I’d cancel Netflix if TMobile didn’t pay for it. I can’t ever find anything and since there’s no ratings, I can’t discern what’s good. Half the movies I pick are foreign. I feel like I’m stuck in an 80s Blockbuster on a Friday night and all the good stuff is already rented out.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2023, 06:39 PM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
Maybe I'll learn something here... "In this context", is borrowing the logon info for a paid for streaming service the same as stealing?
unless the TOS permits it, yes. theft of service. the streaming service would have to catch you and the account holder could face fines or a disconnect. the borrower might be asked to pay up. criminal TOS charges might occur in only extreme cases (example: one account being shared with many famillies).
Dispatcher, then shift supv, then administrator for a regional 9-1-1 call center
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 10:30 PM   #63
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harris4crna View Post
-Tidal (music) $12 monthly
-YouTube Premium $16 monthly
-NBA LP $129 annual charge
-Usenext $80 annual charge
-Curiosity Stream Premium (access to Somm TV, Tastemade, Topic,
Nebula, One Day University, and Da Vinci Kids) $ 69 annual charge

Total annual cost: $614.00

Usenext pricing seems pretty horrible. You can get a year of usenet for way cheaper than $80 without the ridiculously low download caps Usenext seems to have.
Aggie1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 04:16 AM   #64

We pay for Netflix, Amazon Prime, PBS Passport, BritBox. Never have borrowed or lent and never will.

Cheers!
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 06:07 AM   #65

I pay for multiple streaming services regularly borrowed by other family members.

Threatening to crack down on the above is so much chin music, trotted out for shareholder conferences.

You're already restricted to a certain number of simultaneous streams per service anyway.

One of my services recently added another simultaneous stream for no additional charge.
ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 06:38 AM   #66
Full time employment: Posting here.

YTTV, Netflix, Amazon Prime, no "sharing". When we go visit the kids, there is usually some downtime in the evenings and we see the top shows on AppleTV and Hulu. Can't really recall the last good Netflix show, we probably ought to cancel.
Exchme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 06:45 AM   #67

We dropped Prime a year ago and never missed it. Content stinks anyhoo.

Dog/housesitter logs into her Netflix and Hulu account and told us to just use it so she doesn't have to re-login every time she comes here. Now I'm wondering if she has other services... Hmmm

We just rotate in and out of the different services as they all have good (and mostly bad) content. Binge 1-2 months & move on.
Surewhitey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 08:18 AM   #68

We are only a month or so from cord cutting and are feeling our way. We have a couple of Roku TVs and 1 Roku stick.

Hulu -1.99/mo special
Philo: 15/mo special with T-mobile
Paramount+: free for 1 year with T-mobile
Prime: part of Amazon
Netflix: borrowed from son's account on only 1 of our TVs. I would guess maybe 1 time per week.

There are a number of other free apps that we use. Mostly me when I want something different. And do a bit of time-shifting of OTA programming thru an antenna and Tablo.

My gut feeling is that signing on to a service to binge watch and then cancelling, moving on to another service the next month is too much work. I reserve the right to change my mind in the future.
CRLLS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 08:41 AM   #69

We pay for Amazon, Net Flix, Disney and share Hulu
jfn111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 09:39 AM   #70
Recycles dryer sheets

We pay for Netflix and Prime and our daughter pays for Hulu and Disney. We have a grown son so we share between 3 households but none of us watch any of the services individually enough to justify paying for individual accounts. None of them have enough unique content to justify the cost for only one household. When they crack down on password sharing we'll probably drop all of them.
punkinhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 10:28 AM   #71
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk911 View Post
unless the TOS permits it, yes. theft of service. the streaming service would have to catch you and the account holder could face fines or a disconnect. the borrower might be asked to pay up. criminal TOS charges might occur in only extreme cases (example: one account being shared with many families).
I know that Netflix has started requiring separate accounts by household in various countries in Central America. If they implement that in the USA I am assuming they will inform me me accordingly and give me time to make any necessary changes. In my case, I'd let DS and DDIL know and then change the password. If they were to pull any of the above without notice that would be the end of Netflix for me.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 10:57 AM   #72

Prime - streaming is the secondary use of my prime membership.

Netflix - kids have access to this... Both are at their college locations, and only one is still a dependent.

Just added Paramount Plus - but it's free through t-mobile.

I add Hulu for a 'free trial' whenever a full season of Handmaids tale drops. Binge it, then cancel. I've been known to add HBOMAX and ShowtimeToGo, through Amazon, when there were shows I wanted to binge - then cancel them after 1 month.
Old 01-26-2023, 11:03 AM   #73
Give me a forum ...

Pay for Paramount + and Showtime in a bundle deal. I get Peacock free through Comcast internet but probably built into the price. And that's it for now. During College football season I'll go with YTTV or Sling. Oh....I don't borrow from anyone.
Old 01-26-2023, 11:12 AM   #74

Share Netflix, Prime (does not include Prime Video)
Don't share Hulu, Disney+, EPSN+ trio package.
YouTube Music

Total monthly sub fee's are around ~$50 so we spend about $600 a year on subscriptions. I also have a $20/month USENET subscription where I download movies for our home theater. $840 if you include that. I much prefer watching MOST movies in our home theater, but we do watch the occasional blockbuster at the theater (Avatar Way of the Water 3D, Top Gun Maverick) were the last 2 we saw...and I took DW out for her birthday to see some Psycho scary movie flick she wanted to see. All the other movies are consumed at home.
Old 01-26-2023, 11:18 AM   #75

Amazon Prime
Hulu (discount rate)
Peacock (included with Xfinity internet)
Paramount Plus (discount annual premium rate)

We pay for them. We did have YouTube TV for football season, but discontinued it recently.

We have Netflix TV on 1 TV that is on our DD's account. Our DGD watches it sometimes when she is over. My DGS wanted to watch it on our other TV, but I told my DH that I have no idea what the password is, so he couldn't watch anything. We do not watch Netflix. I know one time that they put Disney on our TV, so that their kids could watch it when they were here, but I have no idea if it is still on or not. We don't watch it either. The DGKs also like playing video games when they are here, but we don't like them watching too much TV or too much video games. Last night, I played Sorry and SkipBo Junior with the 6 yr and 8 yr old and their dad. The 6 yr old also played with Legos. We play Rummikub, 5 Crowns and 500 Rummy with our 14 yr old DGD. Last night she was playing Wingspan with her DM on the phone. They also have the board game at home and we have played it there.
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 12:03 PM   #76

Tried some of the services, always end up cancelling them. Netflix, YoutubeTV, Disney +, Prime Video, all cancelled. So now OTA TV and public library for movies.
jim584672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 12:06 PM   #77
Full time employment: Posting here.

Amazon Prime
Hulu (1.99)
Peacock (0.99)
Discovery (free for device purchase)
Parmount (free 30 day offer, tried to cancel, given 30 days more)

I use slickdeals.com to find free and reduced priced offers.
Trailwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 12:08 PM   #78
Give me a forum ...

Old 01-26-2023, 12:17 PM   #79

Funny - I read here and am surprised at the number of people with none/few streaming services. Then I read the "what series are you watching" thread and am amazed at the number of streaming services people have that I don't (acorn/apple/britbox/etc.)
How many streaming services do you pay and “borrow”?
Old 01-26-2023, 01:49 PM   #80

How many streaming services do you pay and “borrow”?

I may need a streaming intervention.
I have:
Netflix
Acorn
Apple TV
AMC+
Paramount +
Britbox
Disney/Hulu/ESPN
HBO Max
Showtime
Peacock with my Comcast service.
ETA: I forgot Prime

Netflix absolutely sold their streaming model as being portable back in the day. They specifically said that kids could be watching something at their house and pick up where they left off at grandparents house or if they split their time between parents if you paid for the premium account.
Sure they have the right to change that just as I have the right to cancel the service. Neither will break the other.
If it comes down to that then I will play that game others play by only having a specific streaming service for a short period of time.
Seems to me that they might want to reward people who keep their services continually.

And don’t get me started with HBO Max taking westworld off of their platform before I had the chance to watch the last season.

First world problems and all. [emoji38]
Irishgirlyc58 is online now   Reply With Quote