Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-26-2023, 02:35 PM   #81
Recycles dryer sheets

We pay for YouTubeTV (3 devices) and share with my 85 yr old DF. When baseball season comes along we sign up for the MLB network thru YouTubeTV, also.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2023, 06:41 PM   #82
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgtest View Post
Share Netflix, Prime (does not include Prime Video)
Don't share Hulu, Disney+, EPSN+ trio package.
YouTube Music

Total monthly sub fee's are around ~$50 so we spend about $600 a year on subscriptions. I also have a $20/month USENET subscription where I download movies for our home theater. $840 if you include that. I much prefer watching MOST movies in our home theater, but we do watch the occasional blockbuster at the theater (Avatar Way of the Water 3D, Top Gun Maverick) were the last 2 we saw...and I took DW out for her birthday to see some Psycho scary movie flick she wanted to see. All the other movies are consumed at home.
$20 per month for usenet? Holy moly! For month to month, a usenet sub should be less than $10. For yearly, way, way less. Best usenet deals are always at Thanksgiving.
Aggie1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 06:53 PM   #83
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I get Peacock Premium with my Comcast internet service. This perk is supposedly going to no longer be free at some point.

I neither share nor am I the recipient of sharing any streaming services.
GenXguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 08:08 PM   #84
Recycles dryer sheets

We pay for Netflix, Amazon Prime, & Paramount+. No sharing. I'll soon drop Paramount+.

I also use free You Tube.
Old 01-27-2023, 07:18 AM   #85

We pay for:
-YouTube TV
-Friendly
-Paramount+
Toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 07:58 AM   #86

We've had Netflix for many years but never really watched it. So I let my mom use our account instead. She basically watches it 24/7, so it's more valuable to her than us. I think my daughter accesses our Netflix account occasionally, but she mostly subscribes to Twitch stuff. Don't know anything about that world.

Otherwise, we mostly watch over-the-air TV, or watch YouTube or other downloadable video.
mountainsoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 08:52 AM   #87
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
Maybe I'll learn something here... "In this context", is borrowing the logon info for a paid for streaming service the same as stealing?
Yes. But typically people tend to justify it under "everyone is doing it" or "it's overpriced so this is fair," etc.
Old 01-27-2023, 10:37 AM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
is borrowing the logon info for a paid for streaming service the same as stealing?
Technically yes, but I think some leeway is to be expected. We currently have the "premium" Netflix plan that allows four simultaneous streams. Even if we watch a show, my mom watches a show, and our daughter watches a show, we're still only using three streams out of the four we pay for. You could argue that mom and daughter don't live in the same household, but if I take my personal laptop to my mom's place and watch from there I'm doing the same thing. All completely within the rules of the plan agreement. Although in practice, we rarely if ever use more than one stream at a time.

Of course, that's a different situation than sharing an account with 20 buddies all over town. I suppose if they all coordinated to use no more than the four streams at once it might work out, but beyond that it seems more like stealing.

If Netflix really wants to crack down on this kind of sharing, they would need to limit one stream per account. If someone else tries to stream at the same time they would be prevented. Alternatively, they could require some kind of device registration, only allowing a certain number of devices.
mountainsoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 10:43 AM   #89
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
We generally have 1 service at a time, as that's all we watch at a time.

Right now it's netflix and I'll probably suspend it so we can watch HBO for free for a month, then go back to netflix unless something else pops up.

Peacock premium is being offered at $35 for 12 months, so need to see if it's worth it. All you have to do use the coupon code NEWYEAR23 at checkout according to an email I got.
Old 01-27-2023, 12:35 PM   #90
Give me a forum ...

Sounds like there may be a thread needed called curb the stream .

I currently have 2 streaming services I pay for. None borrowed.

One is Amazon Prime. I consider that a toss in as I have Amazon mostly for shipping.

Another is Paramount Plus. For Paramount, I'm on the 1/2 price for first 12 months plan. I only subscribed to this to watch the Criminal Minds show which moved from CBS to stream. Once the show ends (at least not til after another season ), I'll most likely drop Paramount.

I've also used Sling in the past for baseball playoffs but don't any more since I really don't follow baseball anymore.
Old 01-27-2023, 06:03 PM   #91

I pay for an annual sub to Amazon Prime and Disney+. I am on a 3-month $1.99/mo promo for HBO Max. A few months ago, I shared my login password to my brother and sister for Disney+. But that sub will end soon as Disney is raising their fee from $6.99/mo to $10.99/mo once my sub runs out. My brother shared his Netflix login to me a few months ago, but after sampling it, it confirmed to me there wasn’t enough content that interested me to become a subscriber myself.
swakyaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 06:04 PM   #92
Recycles dryer sheets

Zero. I don't have a TV.
EarlyandLate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 08:10 PM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarlyandLate View Post
Zero. I don't have a TV.

Yeah, you don't need a TV to watch TV these days.
GenXguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 03:04 PM   #94
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by retire48in2018 View Post
It seems very common based upon news media that families/friends share logins to some streaming services. Some will attempt to start to charge or monetize on this practice.
No streaming services and no sharing. I have plenty to keep me busy without them but YMMV.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 03:28 PM   #95
Full time employment: Posting here.

Borrow none.

Pay three…Netflix, Prime, PBS Passport.

I had been cycling in and out of Netflix, but lately have just let it run. I’ve had Prime for the shipping so it is sort of an add on. Pay for it annually. PBS, I would donate to the local station anyway so I consider it a freebie. On rare occasion I’ll do Apple TV for a month.

I have never subscribed to cable, just use over the air, so these streaming services are a real Blow the Dough category for me.
FIYes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 03:39 PM   #96
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenXguy View Post
Yeah, you don't need a TV to watch TV these days.
Exactly, most of my sports watching is done on my Chromebook.
Old 01-28-2023, 05:58 PM   #97
Give me a forum ...

We always have Netflix and Amazon Prime.

we rotate in Paramount+, Discovery+, and a few others, depending on which shows have come out.

We don't have cable though.

Discovery+ is annoying me right now. They don't have the current Bering Sea Gold on that service, but it is airing weekly on Discovery.
Fermion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 06:36 PM   #98
Full time employment: Posting here.

Currently pay for zero. DW has Amazon Prime for a "free month" with a new cell phone plan. Will not renew. Had Netflix for years but gave that up about 2 years ago. Also had SiriusXM until we sold the car. Don't borrow any passwords. My wife and I are not very interested in TV anymore. Lots of entertainment on You Tube and other sites.
HarveyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 04:11 AM   #99
Recycles dryer sheets

YouTube TV
Disney+ - free with Verizon
Amazon Prime

No sharing
rwdflynavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 02:59 PM   #100
Give me a forum ...

Looks like the Great Netflix Crackdown has started. I got a somewhat ambiguous e-mail from Netflix telling me all the advantages of my "premium" account with some vague references to use at other sites/other devices. When I log into Netflix on my PC, all I can get is the program menu I get on my TV screen. There are plenty of articles such as the one below, however. It looks like I'm still OK when I travel, especially since I'm most likely to be streaming on my PC (which it will recognize) or will prompt me to request a code good for 7 days if I'm logging onto a device such as a hotel or Airbnb TV. I guess DS and DDIL will be prompted similarly if they try and sign on, in which case they're likely to discontinue use- they don't use it that much.

I was all for companies restricting the sharing of passwords when it was never permitted in the first place but up to now, the Netflix agreement was "max of two devices streaming at one time" with no requirements that they be in the same location. A rate increase in thin disguise.

https://lifehacker.com/netflixs-new-...aro-1850058887
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote