Join Early Retirement Today

How Much to Spend on Retirement Home in Portugal?
Old 10-10-2020, 02:15 PM   #1
Dryer sheet aficionado

How Much to Spend on Retirement Home in Portugal?

Hi!

I am 56, single, and retired. No kids.

I have $2.5M total assets (including house value). $22K in a conventional IRA. I expect only (conservative) investment income. I have minimum work credits for SS benefits (i.e. $887/month @ full retirement age).

I plan to move to Portugal in 2022.

My current house is worth $700K (bought for cash). I intend to sell it before moving.

I spend circa $60K/year, all told (including insurance, etc). In Portugal I will spend $30-40K/year (at current currency values), but could easily spend less.

Questions:

1. What would be the prudent max to spend on a house in Portugal? (note: I wouldn't imagine paying over $700K). I'm not thinking of it as an investment (though I do expect prices there to rise); I don't intend to move again, and my heirs are already well taken care of.

2. Should I mortgage it? I don't pay much taxes, so I guess it's mostly an inflation-related question. I do expect to beat the current 30 year rate with my investments....

thanks!
Eric S is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2020, 06:46 PM   #2
Dryer sheet aficionado

Wow, 103 views with no replies! I'd appreciate even uninformed, off-the-cuff replies from people! I know there's no one absolute answer!
Eric S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 07:21 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

I think at your age I would buy or rent an RV, then explore the continent.
arbeadub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 08:13 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Spend what you net from selling your house. No more.

Anything less, just blow it!
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 08:46 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

I can't speak to Portugal but thinking of similar thing in Northern Italy in about a decade. Have you actually spend significant amount of time there to verify your expected annual costs? When people say Europe is expensive I disagree completely. Sure the big cities are very expensive, but small to medium sized centers are very reasonable in terms of groceries, sporting activities and rent if you choose not to buy. For example where I am from you can EASILY rent a house for about 700 Euros per month. So perhaps renting might be an option if there is similar pricing there?? One thing to be cognizant of in Europe is that if you do any kind of exterior renovation it is very expensive and must adhere to the standards of the region.
accountingsucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 08:52 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

i'm curious about the consensus on this also. I've been struggling with how much house/condo/townhouse I should buy if/when I ever move.

For example, assuming the current residence is worth $350K, but that I could swing something much higher (e.g. $1 M+) w/o impacting the safety of retirement, is it crazy to up the housing investment so much? I'd assume the answer is that it depends - what that spend gets someone is all based on location, and that sometimes you just have to pay to play?
copyright1997reloaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 09:04 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

One other thing to think about is that if you sell your house in the US (which generally increases in value by more than inflation each year) and buy in Europe, what will the house value do over the next decades in Europe. In Italy many towns suffer with aging population and there are literally no buyers for some of the properties. On my last trip to Italy you can see the houses that have been abandoned. Generally real estate values trend downwards every year there in many of the smaller centers.

Not sure if that is also an issue in Portugal but I think it is as one of the issues that causes this is very low salaries. You do not see the same wealth gap in Europe versus the US, however one of the downsides of that is that everyone kind of makes the same with "the same" being not very much. Have many relatives in Italy making around $1500 per month and that is considered an average salary there. That obviously will impact the price of housing in a negative way. Sure their work culture is great but at the cost of innovation and efficiency in my opinion. Just look at the European stock markets versus Nasdaq if you don't believe it's true.
accountingsucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 09:30 PM   #8

Are you interested in a "Golden Visa" by investing in real estate in Portugal? If so, then spend at least 350k euros! https://nomadgate.com/portugal-golden-visa-guide/
Out-to-Lunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 09:36 PM   #9

Rough calcs.

SS will pay you $10k/year. You’ll need $30k/year more. $1M @ 3% SWR will give you that. That leaves $1.5M for a home in Portugal.

Looks doable, but I’d look for a more modest house and blow more dough/year.
latexman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 09:41 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

A lot depends on what you find, and how much you want it! Despite having a smaller nest egg than you, I was prepared to spend as much as your present house is worth since I am really a home body and wanted to find my "Dream Home". However I found it for less than half of that amount.

I am older than you, 72, and have found that I prefer an easy care, smaller home, to an impressive mansion at this stage in life. Think of what you will really need in Portugal as you grow older, and try to envision your future life there.

If it was me, I'd retire, move over there, and then spend a few years looking for just the right home. Well, if that is possible with an international move! I don't know much about that aspect.

Personally I prefer paying cash but that's just individual preference.

I would have responded to your original post earlier, but I didn't see it! I didn't spend much time here today. It's an interesting topic, so thanks for posting it.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 09:52 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

I took a long road trip through Portugal last year. The cost of living in Portugal is quite a bit lower than in other Western European countries. In a town called Peso da Régua, I sat at a square outside the town museum, nursing a small bottle of beer that cost me exactly 1 euro. I think I ended up drinking two. I imagine the cost of a home there would not be very high.

So, where does the OP want to live? In a small town, or where it's more crowded? A quick look on the Web shows small apartments of 1,000-1,500 sq.ft. near the ocean in Algarve going for US$250K to US$500K.

In Lisbon, US$500K gets you about 700 sq.ft.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 10:21 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Oh, I recalled that my wife had a cappuccino that also cost 1 euro. Of course, there was no tax or tip added.

Later, we went to have dinner at a decent small restaurant, and paid less than 30 euros something like that for both.

PS. I love grilled fish in Portugal. Fresh fish does not smell fishy at all. My wife who is not a fish eater had fish like I did for several meals.

Oh, how I would like to go back. But the world is big, my remaining time is limited, and there are still so many places I want to visit.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 10-10-2020, 10:31 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Hey, I found on the Web a photo of that town museum, and the square where we enjoyed our wonderfully cheap drinks. It was as deserted in the photo as when we were there.

Sorry if this detracts from the OP's thread, but it begs the question: Do you really want to settle down in one spot, if you can spend time and money to travel, see, and experience more places and things? Perhaps the OP has some roots in Portugal, and has a specific place that he is fond of. In that case, it all changes.

Old 10-10-2020, 11:40 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Oh, I recalled that my wife had a cappuccino that also cost 1 euro.
For €1 we had the best Caldo Verde ever at a standup cafe/bakery in Porto.

No questions, but if I did, one might be "Why Portugal?"

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 12:02 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric S View Post
Wow, 103 views with no replies! I'd appreciate even uninformed, off-the-cuff replies from people! I know there's no one absolute answer!
I'm wondering if you know what area of Portugal you want to live

Wouldn't the cost of housing be determined by where you want to live.

I've only been off a cruise ship briefly in 2 cities in Portugal, so I know nearly nothing and therefore feel qualified to give you advice to follow
I think you should rent for a year or two, to be sure you want to live in that area, vs some other part of Portugal or even Spain close by
Old 10-11-2020, 12:45 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
For €1 we had the best Caldo Verde ever at a standup cafe/bakery in Porto.

No questions, but if I did, one might be "Why Portugal?"

I don't recall trying Caldo Verde when I was there. Just looked on the Web, and it looks like something I can try making at home.

About your question, I would reply "Why not Portugal?" It has plenty of nice things going, just like any other place where one can settle down.

I just recalled that a forum poster, ItDontMeanAThing, has moved from Asia to Portugal. Darn, is my memory good or is it superb?

He has a blog which I have not visited in a while. Interested readers can find the latter in his profile page.

Old 10-11-2020, 01:06 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

I'll stick with chili verdi at the local taqueria por favor!
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 01:42 AM   #18

I'd first rent, maybe through Airbnb, in various locations to test the waters and till having mastered some of the language.
The tax incentive (?) is not worth to buy in the wrong place IMHO. And if the Golden Visa is your goal, your neighbors might hate you for driving up cost of housing in their hood.
chris2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 05:19 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
About your question, I would reply "Why not Portugal?" It has plenty of nice things going, just like any other place where one can settle down.
I've been to Portugal a 'few' times, first visit was 57 years ago....seen numerous places there. Just struck me as 'odd' that the OP selected this 'one country' but doesn't elaborate on 'whys or wheres' and doesn't appear to know what to pay.

Variations on a theme: "How long is a piece of string?"

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 08:26 AM   #20
Full time employment: Posting here.

I would rent. Maybe high end, maybe moderate range and get the lay of the land. Unless youve already spent months and month contuously there and are certain 1) the area is right for you 2) how much indoor vice outdoor space you need. THis would be too big of a variable to want to screw up.
MrsHaloFIRE is offline   Reply With Quote