How's the water? One year out

This week I’ll change the year in my signature line from one to two. Of course the water’s fine, sometimes choppy and sometimes placid; the important things in life go on, whether I’m employed or not. Something happy has happened that I haven’t mentioned here yet--a few weeks ago I stopped taking pain meds. It’s a window of opportunity for me to get out there without worrying that my body isn’t up to a long walk.

Congratulations on getting off pain meds (and your second year of retirement.) I'm finishing off my second month today. No trouble adjusting here. :) I'm not quite sure if our dogs have quite adjusted to their longer walks. They do nap more during the day now though.

Congratulations on getting off pain meds (and your second year of retirement.) I'm finishing off my second month today. No trouble adjusting here. :) I'm not quite sure if our dogs have quite adjusted to their longer walks. They do nap more during the day now though.
Thanks, it's getting better all the time. Congrats to you, LoftyNotions. You bring up an under-discussed issue, our pets need time to adjust also. My cat follows me around like, um, a puppy dog.

Our partners also need time to adjust .The first few months we were driving each other bonkers now we have settled into a pleasant routine .

What I've learned from 30+ years of working in poo:

NEVER build or buy a house in the low areas of town...NEVER!!! Poo water runs to the lowest area available...ALWAYS!

NEVER build on a hillside in town...NEVER!!! Storm water will run THROUGH your house, on it's way down to the lowest area in town...ALWAYS!

NEVER have basement floor drains, sink drains, or washing machine drains that flow directly to the sewer main in front (or behind) your house....NEVER!!! We always referred to them as 'sewer main pressure relief overflows'....in other words, if the sewer main backs up or plugs up (and it will!), the poo water will simply flow to the lowest area it can gain access to....YOUR basement....which we referred to as 'emergency sewage holding tanks'.

The option of choice to prevent that is what's called an "overhead sewer". That is, the main sewer pipe in your house is mounted just below the floor joists of your first floor. All the water from sinks, tubs, toilets, etc. from the first floor and above drain by gravity into it. All water that comes from appliances or fixtures in the basement needs to be pumped UP into that "overhead" pipe. And since that pipe is above the level of the outside ground level, the water will flow out of it, downhill, into the city's sewer main. [-]If[/-] When the city's sewer backs up, it will flow out of the manholes in the street (or through your neighbors basement floor drains!), instead of into your house!

I saved this post.

Ha

Our partners also need time to adjust .The first few months we were driving each other bonkers now we have settled into a pleasant routine .

We should make a list.;) My neighbor below freaked because she is a day sleeper and, of course, my first instinct as a new retiree was to rearrange the furniture.

We are 7 years and 6 years in, respectively. We thought we'd make it as long as we lived but then 2008 happened. So far, we are still hanging in - we spent a lot of time worrying and thinking about what jobs we would need to get. But, somehow, 8 months later, that just didn't happen, so I guess we weren't that desperate. So, today, we went for a 2 mile walk with our dog, went swimming in the pool, had a frosty drink on the deck and "will play it by ear". Best laid plans, I guess. Not sure what I'm learning from this experience, but I'll know it when I see it.

We are 7 years and 6 years in, respectively. We thought we'd make it as long as we lived but then 2008 happened. So far, we are still hanging in - we spent a lot of time worrying and thinking about what jobs we would need to get. But, somehow, 8 months later, that just didn't happen, so I guess we weren't that desperate. So, today, we went for a 2 mile walk with our dog, went swimming in the pool, had a frosty drink on the deck and "will play it by ear". Best laid plans, I guess. Not sure what I'm learning from this experience, but I'll know it when I see it.

I think last year was the final exam for retirement . If you could make it through and not go screaming back to work you passed the test .

Reactions: ksr
I think last year was the final exam for retirement . If you could make it through and not go screaming back to work you passed the test .
I scream at the thought of going back to w*rk.:yuk:

Hang in there, Sparky. Keep us posted.

DH retired at the end of February....we all know how lovely that time was. It didn't matter to him...come hell or high water, he was outa there! Everything is just fine...:)

You are too cruel, FreeBird, but yeah, my free pass is up, Butter Bovine!;)
My eyes skipped over the entire definition of "w*rk" but I perked up at "w*rks":
Heeheeeheeeee...;)
However, numbers 6, 7,and 8 at the link for "w*rk" have a lot of potential during FIRE.

My brain does not create artistically, though. :confused: It analyzes.

My DW retired at the end of June. She hasn't had much trouble during the summer, as she is normally off then, but yesterday was real hard as that's the day the little kids came back to her school this year. So today she had lunch with all her old compatriots and they told tall tales. She is not overly thrilled with my going to work every day and I think that will become a bigger issue by Spring. I don't have a definitive full retirement date, but I'll be surprised if I work past next June. Maybe sooner if I get a lot of crap at the office.

Our basic lifetsyle wouldn't change much, but the 50% reduction in disposable income will cut out many, if not all, the frills. Good bye Nordstroms, hello Wal Mart. :mad:

Back
Top Bottom