Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-28-2010, 07:58 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

- make a 3 story sculpture out of meat
- explore the most heavily populated places on earth and claim them for Rome (SPQR all the way!)
- hoax the American public that I have landed on Mars
- become world champion at thumb wrestling

(I will draw up a list when I get closer to ESR)

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2010, 08:19 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
- become world champion at thumb wrestling
Hey...that's my goal.....
Old 10-28-2010, 09:20 PM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

I don't have a list yet, but this year has been just amazing.

- Saw Placido Domingo, Renee Fleming, and Susan Graham in concert (not together)
- Went to an opera in Italy
- Sang in an operetta and will be singing a concert (in choir) with Garrison Keillor
- Went on my first cruise to the Caribbean
- Traveled to DC, New York, St. Louis, Chicago, Paris, Rome, Venice, Salzburg, and a few other places in Europe
- Will be going to Miami and Key West for the first time this December
- Quit my j*b and got offered my dream j*b, if there is one

At this speed, when it's time to make my bucket list, I might run out of things to do!
GoodSense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 09:35 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Scott's bucket list looks exhausting. I haven't made a list, though there are things I would like to do....such as visiting India, Australia and New Zealand. But if I don't get there, that's OK.

It's the journey, not the destination.....
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 10:14 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
- make a 3 story sculpture out of meat
I like this one. Cooked, or raw? Beef, or venison?

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 10:28 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodSense View Post
I don't have a list yet, but this year has been just amazing.

- Saw Placido Domingo, Renee Fleming, and Susan Graham in concert (not together)
- Went to an opera in Italy
- Sang in an operetta and will be singing a concert (in choir) with Garrison Keillor
- Went on my first cruise to the Caribbean
- Traveled to DC, New York, St. Louis, Chicago, Paris, Rome, Venice, Salzburg, and a few other places in Europe
- Will be going to Miami and Key West for the first time this December
- Quit my j*b and got offered my dream j*b, if there is one

At this speed, when it's time to make my bucket list, I might run out of things to do!
No kidding! With that résumé, who needs a bucket list?
ScottFromUtah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 11:01 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottFromUtah View Post
No kidding! With that résumé, who needs a bucket list?
But I've yet to visit Iguazu and Machu Picchu! Luckily my new j*b will allow me to travel to random places of the world. So I hope it's just a matter of time.
GoodSense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 06:10 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I like this one. Cooked, or raw? Beef, or venison?
I was thinking bacon and squirrel, garnished with a bit of whale blubber.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 07:00 AM   #29

Since it has been mentioned more than once, I thought I'd toss out a bit of trivia.
Iguazu Falls (more accurately Foz do Iguaçu) can be impressive, but only when conditions are right (lots of recent rainfall).

When I was there (over two decades ago), it was very unimpressive. Rainfall had been sparse, and there were only comparative trickles going over the cliffs. Frankly, I didn't think it could hold a candle to Niagara.
Old 10-29-2010, 08:54 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Since it has been mentioned more than once, I thought I'd toss out a bit of trivia.
Iguazu Falls (more accurately Foz do Iguaçu) can be impressive, but only when conditions are right (lots of recent rainfall).

When I was there (over two decades ago), it was very unimpressive. Rainfall had been sparse, and there were only comparative trickles going over the cliffs. Frankly, I didn't think it could hold a candle to Niagara.
I was at Iguazu during spring flood. It was awesome! Niagara, schmiagara.....
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 10:02 AM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post

As my sister who lived a year in Brazil said, "Iguazu make Niagara look like a faucet leak." Sorry that you went during a drought. When I was there in 2004, it was beyond gorgeous. Here is one of the 100s of pictures that I took. Just look at the number and size of these falls, and this is only a small section of the falls area.

Old 10-29-2010, 10:36 AM   #32

Quote:
In the year 2000, I make a Bucket List with 50 items. Most items on the list are fairly down-to-earth; some are a little more exotic. Examples: Qualify for the Boston Marathon (done), run the Boston Marathon (done), complete an Olympic length (done) and Half Ironman (done) triathlon, visit all 50 states (done), complete the 200-mile one-day bike race LOTOJA (done), visit all seven continents (not done; I'm going to Antarctica in January), see the Great Wall of China (done), see the Pyramids and Egyptian temples (done), visit 15 national parks (done), do 10 pullups (not done ; I have horrible upper-body strength and am overweight), publish a book (done numerous times), design and carve a chess set (not done), obtain CPR Red Cross certification (done), read 10 books in Spanish (done).

Summary: I have complete 44 of the 50.

How are you coming on yours?
Wait! You run marathons and triathalons and you're overweight? There is hope for the rest of us!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Dang, I can't come up with a list like Fuego's, let alone like Scott's! Better get cracking! Congrats to you, though, on finishing such awesome goals.

What will you do when your list is complete?
Make a new one, of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
That one is on my conscious "things to do before I die" list.
That's what I call mine. Seems a little more urgent than "bucket list". Kind of motivates you to start ticking off items.

I actually have two lists. One is more grandiose with lots of travel and long term stuff. A few examples:

Visit all the Disney Parks
Hunt geese in Canada
Hike into Evolution Valley
Celebrate Oktober Fest in Germany
Drive Route 66

Then I have more immediate, day to day stuff. Some stuff is on both like writing a book, mainly because it is a long term goal, but something that I can work on right now without a lot of planning or money. Here is some stuff of the other list:

Fly tying
Work on my Jeep
Build a potato gun
Go on Fishing Trips
Surfing

The second list isn't really designed to tick items off, but just a place to dump ideas and it acts as a reminder when i can't think of anything else to do. Been retired about 4 months and have a couple off the first list, but did or started those prior to retirement: nude beach, play guitar, swim in all four oceans (2 down), and visit all the Disney parks (2 down). Since retiring I have begun writing a book. Off the second list I have done maybe half the items to one extent or another.

To me the lists are important. You can say you want to do something, but writing it down is a big deal. It's real, you can look at the list and sometimes it begs you to get moving. Many of my "Things to do Before I Die" items can be accomplished with single trips to Europe or Asia. I have no idea how much those trips would cost, but if I begin planning i then have a goal, such as save X amount of dollars.

Like W2R, I would be content if I died tomorrow. No, I won't have done everything I wanted, but I haven't put things off either. I had my own brush with death and since then I have learned that just appreciating each day and the people in your life is way more important than seeing some site or experiencing some activity. Ticking off items on my bucket list is just icing.

That's good stuff, I gotta go blog now.

flyfishnevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 10:37 AM   #33

Quote:
As my sister who lived a year in Brazil said, "Iguazu make Niagara look like a faucet leak." Sorry that you went during a drought. When I was there in 2004, it was beyond gorgeous. Here is one of the 100s of pictures that I took. Just look at the number and size of these falls, and this is only a small section of the falls area.

By the way, are there fish in there?

flyfishnevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 10:56 AM   #34
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Mine keeps growing all the time, but I added "take a balloon ride in one of those huge balloons where you ride in the small wicker basket" to the list this week. Looks so cool!
Old 10-29-2010, 11:32 AM   #35
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
Mine keeps growing all the time, but I added "take a balloon ride in one of those huge balloons where you ride in the small wicker basket" to the list this week. Looks so cool!
Orchid, you can shorten that to "Take a ride in a hot air balloon".

I've been up twice and really enjoyed both rides - and for the record, no I didn't furnish my own hot air...
Old 10-29-2010, 11:50 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Guess I'd better get a bucket...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg creosote.jpg (6.4 KB, 130 views)

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 12:03 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

68 goals/experiences completed, several to go but I am always adding to mine. I don't ever intend to finish my bucket list...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 02:32 PM   #38

I had a list I started before I retired 5 1/2 years ago. I accomplished a number of items on the list and then must have tossed the list. Guess it's time for a 'phase 2' level of list.
KB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 02:35 PM   #39

1st checked off on my bucket list is to retire early.

Free to canoe
Free To Canoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 03:56 PM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfishnevada View Post
Wait! You run marathons and triathalons and you're overweight? There is hope for the rest of us!
Yep. I'm 25 pounds heavier than when I ran Boston in 2004, but I still ran a marathon this year--very slowly, but I did it. At least I'm down 22 pounds from my high two years ago and down 35 pounds from my highest lifetime weight (February 2000). I was plump as a kid and I've battle my weight since age 20.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfishnevada View Post
Like W2R, I would be content if I died tomorrow. No, I won't have done everything I wanted, but I haven't put things off either. I had my own brush with death and since then I have learned that just appreciating each day and the people in your life is way more important than seeing some site or experiencing some activity. Ticking off items on my bucket list is just icing.
Couldn't have said it better myself.