How's your life going at 33%

EIFS stucco system ..

Husband is an architect who winces at the thought of an EIFS application. He places a high value on performance and maintance costs. Based on experiance in our community, EIFS is not the best option.

On special occasions you could actually wear a new dryer sheet. Chicks dig Snuggles.

Seems a little extravagant. Maybe after just one run through the dryer.

The discussion on the robot picking up the lint and then making stuff out of it did get me thinking though. Next time I vacuum I'm going to try duct taping the dogs fur back onto them. Perhaps the reintroduction of fur will stop the shedding. I'll make a full report.

Since this particular thread has gotten so silly, I don't feel bad about contributing further to its deterioration.

TH, I like the quote at the bottom of your posts by Brown. Especially ""There are only two kinds of food: good and bad." It reminds me of a similiar quote from an anonomous author:

"There are only three kinds of people in this world: Them that can count and them that can't."

A rule of thumb is that the average car loses about 50% of its value every 3 years.  Almost all of the new cars and trucks that I have bought, I or we hung on to for years.  But for those so inclined, keep buying new cars and get rid of them after 3 years or so.  We like you! ;)
This is true. In my planning, I am allowing for a new car every seven years. But in reality I hope to do it differently. I have a brother in the car business. He and his partner buy up used cars and auction them off. They know cars. He tells me that if you know what you're doing, it shouldn't cost anything to own a car and I plan to follow his strategy soon (my parents already do this). It involves buying a well equipped car that is a few years old, driving it for several thousand miles and for 6 -8 months, and then selling it and getting another. There are other details that involve timing the sale, knowing which models this will work with, etc. (It also helps to know someone in the business who has the wherewithal to sell your car and snag another.)  But he claims that if done correctly you can drive a car for nothing, and usually you will actually sell it for a little more than you paid for it. So I plan to enlist his assistance in ER. I'll do some bookkeeping and investing things for him in exchange for him keeping me supplied with a car. I'll pay for the first one and he will take care of the rest. We'll both benefit.

He claims anyone can do this, but I suspect he underestimates the value of his knowledge of the business. Nevertheless, I'll get more details from him and post them.

I would also like to point out that at this time I am clad in nothing but used dryer sheets.
Don't you feel sorry for people who aren't RE types. They will never know the pleasures that can be derived from the simple dryer sheet.

"There are only three kinds of people in this world: Them that can count and them that can't."

Actually, as any engineer knows...

There are 10 types of people in the world: Those that understand binary, and those that don't.

:)

There are 10 types of people in the world: Those that understand binary, and those that don't.

Now that was funny! :D - But maybe you have to be a software engineer to think so.

Now that was funny! :D - But maybe you have to be a software engineer to think so.

4B

4B

(in hex :D)

This is true. In my planning, I am allowing for a new car every seven years. But in reality I hope to do it differently. I have a brother in the car business. He and his partner buy up used cars and auction them off. They know cars. He tells me that if you know what you're doing, it shouldn't cost anything to own a car and I plan to follow his strategy soon (my parents already do this). It involves buying a well equipped car that is a few years old, driving it for several thousand miles and for 6 -8 months, and then selling it and getting another. There are other details that involve timing the sale, knowing which models this will work with, etc. (It also helps to know someone in the business who has the wherewithal to sell your car and snag another.) But he claims that if done correctly you can drive a car for nothing, and usually you will actually sell it for a little more than you paid for it. So I plan to enlist his assistance in ER. I'll do some bookkeeping and investing things for him in exchange for him keeping me supplied with a car. I'll pay for the first one and he will take care of the rest. We'll both benefit.

He claims anyone can do this, but I suspect he underestimates the value of his knowledge of the business. Nevertheless, I'll get more details from him and post them.

I think you can do this. The key is where you get your cars.

A friend of mine was recently car shopping and got a very good deal on an old SUV, because the current owner had already purchased a new car and wanted to get rid of it. If you offer cash and seem like a nice buyer, many sellers are willing to deal just because they don't want the hassle of trying to find another buyer.

So, scanning the want ads for the "must sell!" crowd who are moving out of town/need the cash/etc. would seem to be a big piece of the puzzle. The other part is (I'm guessing) taking the time to get the car in good condition (at least the body) and selling it at a good price.

But I hate buying cars and I'm not doing that! :) I bought my current car new, it's almost nine years old now. I'm always toying with the idea of getting a replacement car (used, of course), but this hunk o' junk somehow manages to be pretty reliable. So I scan the want ads and read Edmunds, look at all the pretty cars, and will wait until I either find the steal of the century or until my junker kicks the bucket and I don't have a choice. My goal is to get around ten years per car, which isn't hard if you buy a recent model year from a quality manufacturer.

Back to the topic at hand: I have a new, better-paying job and my current savings rate is a bit over 40%. That includes paying off a few credit cards (which were a bit steeper than normal: flight to visit the family over Thanksgiving, plus a small vacation between jobs.) I'm pretty sure I can get to 50% with those down to normal levels.

I'm jumping back to the "cars" post.

Instinctively I believe this is doable (having a car at
basically no net cost to you). I have not done it myself,
but I have done a lot of buying and selling post-ER
and big mark-ups have come pretty easily. I like to
negotiate so that helps. Once my mother asked a friend
what her son did for a living. The answer? "Oh buys and sells, buys and sells." I thought this was a silly
answer at the time. Now, however, I am a believer.
Of course, it requires some work so I mostly just
dabble.

John Galt

I'm probably even less inclined to buy and sell than you are, John. I have a brother who gets such a charge out of making a good deal that he doesn't see it as work. It's almost like a game to him and he loves to win (and to play even when he doesn't always win). On the other hand, he despises record-keeping, the monthly task of paying the household bills, and saving/filing/organizing receipts for tax purposes. Yet I kind of enjoy such tasks. So we plan to trade when I leave the job and have some extra time. I'll pay his monthly bills from the comfort of my home and a few other things in that realm, and he'll keep me supplied with a car from his continually replenishing stock. It probably won't cost him much beyond a little time since he handles hundreds of cars each year and is all set up to do it. I won't be driving a new Lexus, but a five year old Accord or Camry at no cost beyond three or four hours a month working out of my home is plenty good enough for me.

Back
Top Bottom