Join Early Retirement Today

HR called me yesterday...
Old 03-09-2006, 05:45 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

HR called me yesterday...

OK, I've been planning and thinking about ER for a very long time now.* I've run the numbers and they all add up.* I gave my 6-months' notice in October, and I'll be gone May 1.* I've been training my replacements and documenting my tasks and doing all the things I need to do to make sure the office doesn't fall apart the day I leave.* (OK, they will probably do fine without me, but I feel responsible...)* I've had the discussions with DH, and we both agree that the time is right, and we're well prepared.

Yet when HR called me the other day to talk about how to handle the vacation and what I need to do to plan for my departure, I got this big knot in my stomach, and had a bit of a panic attack!* What am I doing* Is this the right thing* What will I do?* It all seems so final!!* What if it doesn't work out?* Gas prices are going up, electricity prices are going waaaay up!* Oh, no!!

So I came in here* so you could all reassure me.* ** *Has this happened to you??* I did see that "Retire Soon" talked about signing papers and that it was an agonizing decision.* So I'm guessing I'm not the only one with pre-RE jitters.* Please!* Make me feel better!!

Thanks, I'm starting to feel better already.

CJ
cj is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: HR called me yesterday...
Old 03-09-2006, 07:09 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

cj, a year ago I was in your shoes and having those same "What the Hell am I thinking!" attacks. Looks to me like what you are going through is perfectly natural. My own personal bugaboo was the countdown to the last paycheck, realizing I would probably never, ever see one of those again.

My apprehension was more than offset by the euphoria of a future filled with the freedom to do whatever I wanted with my time. Whenever I had second thoughts about pulling the plug, I had only to think about continuing my commute to the daily grind, the endless meetings I had to attend, etc. I realized there was no way I could reverse myself and continue to endure all that once I had made the decision to leave.

And even with the huge increase in energy costs, a couple of unexpected deaths in our home appliances, and a few other unanticipated expenditures, life after work is good...very, very good.

One last thought. Instead of thinking only of yourself, perhaps you should focus on being more altruistic. When you have one of these episodes, try thinking about those poor bastards coworkers you will soon be leaving behind.

Old 03-09-2006, 07:10 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

CJ,
What made me feel better was the passing of time. I had all my ducks in a row when I retired, but for 6 months afterwards I was still living off of earned income. Then in mid summer I had a trip to Europe that finished off the last of that money and I had to start drawing my own funds. That's when I got a little case of the nerves. But it passes and now I just take out what I need. You'll be fine, I'm sure.

Regards,
LL
LovesLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 08:14 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Same here. Nerves depart, after time. Ran into a co-worker last weekend. She asked me if I would return. "Only at gunpoint.", I replied. Said she, glumly, "I only have 7 years to go."

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 09:10 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

I gave retirement notice Dec 1 for Mar 1 and am now in day 9 . I love it. Probably played "what if" for about a month prior to signing the paperwork, but now no voicemail, no email, no company regular mail in case I missed the first two communications. No conference calls regarding the sky falling. Received my first pension check , rolled over 401k, medical insurance. No debt...In the words of my youngest brother, "You did it, you beat the man."
Old 03-09-2006, 09:42 AM   #6

In January 2005, I decided to leave my firm in July. In March, my boss (no HR) calls me in to give me the good bad news that I am being laid off after 20+ years. At 1st, I was about to go into a tirade since the company was robbing me of 4 months pay. To my utter shock and surprise which I hid from him so I could bargain for more, I was told I would be getting a very long paid vacation as a consolation prize, followed by additonal unemployement benefits.
So I was able to wean myself slowly off of my payroll check just in time to go to Thailand.

God Bless America
Old 03-09-2006, 09:50 AM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I figured if it didnt work out, I could always go back. Probably get the same job if I wanted it. With better salary and better priced stock options. Nothing to get that nervous about.

Weirdest thing for me was having had a full set of benefits all of my life and never worrying about buying health insurance, dental coverage or not, life insurance or not. There was a little nest of stuff a job gave you that being on your own doesnt. Plus free pens and pads of paper. It was a bit comforting when I got married and all my wifes benefits extended to me.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 10:47 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ
So I was able to wean myself slowly off of my payroll check just in time to go to Thailand.
So, did you deduct that trip on your tax return as an expense of searching for work, or as a relocation expense?

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 11:04 AM   #9

CFB - you are right - if I said I wanted to come back to work, my boss would take me back in less than a second. But I don't think that will happen. Something about that hour+ commute. About the benefits, DH has fully paid retiree benefits (so far!), so that really makes it easier. I don't know how I'd feel if it wasn't for that.

CJ
cj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 11:42 AM   #10

we're rooting for ya! I personally envy you! I'm only 24, but working for the main AINT my cup o' tea!!!!
thefed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 02:50 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
So, did you deduct that trip on your tax return as an expense of searching for work, or as a relocation expense?
Well, it was really nice long vacation.
But the next time I go to SE Asia, I'll be spending several months looking for a new job and will have very large deduction.
Since job hunting especially in Asia can be very stressful, I'll need my daily oil massage to help release all the built up stress.
Old 03-10-2006, 02:21 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Gas prices are going up
Depending on your commute, that could be a reason TO RE.* I just moved really close to work (1.5 miles) from a commute of ~50 miles/round trip and the timing sure is right!* I'll be saving over $100/month.*

I sympathize - it's gotta be tough to pull the plug.* You could delay a little more and pad your net worth ad infinitim.* I know I'll be second-guessing myself like crazy and probably stick around much longer than I'd have to.* Worst case, you could always go back to work.* Most likely, you'll be fine and it's just the natural responsibility gene that's pestering you.* I suppose you could try cutting your hours as a happy medium and see how you like that.* Then, gradually phase out (or not) as you like.
dunc0029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 03:11 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm sure there will most always be a period of apprehension when ERing.
As it turned out, my work "partner" was laid off end of Jan 2006.
Work "partner" because we backed each other up when one was not available.
So, if I had stayed, I'm sure I would have been laid off also; I ER'd 22 month ago.
I'm also sure that you didn't retire without crunching all the numbers first...
so enjoy the freedom ! And remember, when you turn 62, you're eligible for the
largest payraise you've ever gotten (most likely) - Social Security.
renferme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 05:04 PM   #14

CJ,

Yes, I did agonize for several months over whether or not I should sign the irrevocable resignation papers.* For many years, I mistakely thought it would be so very* easy.* I have to tell you,* though,* I'm now experiencing a powerful sense of peace with my decision. Uncomfortable apprehension and fear have been replaced by feelings of liberation, harmony, calmness, relief, and unspeakable* joy.*

Retire Soon

--Henry David Thoreau
Retire Soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 08:13 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
Hmmmmmmmm, you've got me thinking Nords...

Lancelot is offline   Reply With Quote