HS Social Studies not what I thought

LeatherneckPA

Recycles dryer sheets
Here I am expecting to teach a subject I actually know something about, Geography and History. Nope. He was teaching Economics and Political Science.

A handout from Peter Lynch and some questions about picking stocks. Actually, I think I handled those 5 periods pretty well. I saw a lot of future day traders in those classes. Pity.

That whole Poli Sci thing was out of my league. His notes said they were to work on their projects, so that's what I told them to do. And then I just made sure the noise level didn't get out of hand. The second period of that I learned that they were supposed to be researching their candidates in the primaries; from the standpoint of a campaign strategist, a public relations manager, or some other supporter. I probably wasn't much help there. Especially since so many of them were interested in Hillary, whom I despise.

My daughter just took Econ last semester in high school, and loved it. She showed me some of the projects they worked on and we talked a lot about them. She was taught the LBYM concepts, budgeting, car shopping, investing, etc. She showed me the chart about how you could make more by investing in an IRA the first 10 years than the next 30, or whatever that chart exactly shows. I have the impression that her teacher could FIRE, but likes teaching the class so he keeps doing it.

What was really nice is that she could talk knowledgeably about pretty much all of it, and I think it sunk in. It also gave me a good chance to discuss things with her, like how good it was to stay out of consumer debt and how much of a mess people can get in. And I also stressed that if she did start getting herself in trouble, she needed to speak up right away rather than bury her head in the sand and hope for a miracle. I told her I wouldn't necessarily open my checkbook to bail her out, but I would work with her to review everything and help her find a way out of the situation.

It was neat to see the spark, especially on a subject so useful in life.

How many had their IPODS in their ears?? How many didn't really do a lick of work? You gotta love High School upperclassman, they know the deal and sure know how to cruise when a sub is in the house.

Lets see Friday I have a kindergarden class and 2 second grade classes and 2 third grade classes in the gym. We will be running for 7 mins then we will be jumping rope for 5 mins, the kindergardeners will be learning how to jump rope, some are pretty good already, then we will be playing a game called clean out your volcano. A group goes into the middle of the gym we put 7 foot mats up and make a cone in the middle. A group of students team goes in and the rest of the students other teams throw soft balls into the cone. as fast as they throw them in the team inside must quickly throw them back out while staying inside the cone. It looks like fun! The team has 4 mins inside then we stop and count how many are still in the cone when the whistle blows. Then the next team goes inside team with the least amount wins. Then we will play a game of spiderball for the remaining time. The kids move the entire 45 min time frame. Mucho exercise. I love this retirement!

Last edited:
No iPods, no cells, and no music. Whether they actually did any work is not my concern. They were orderly and were made aware that Mr Snyder would be expecting their homework tomorrow morning.

Gotta admit, it sounds like you've got a better gig than I do though.

No iPods, no cells, and no music. Whether they actually did any work is not my concern. They were orderly and were made aware that Mr Snyder would be expecting their homework tomorrow morning.

Gotta admit, it sounds like you've got a better gig than I do though.

The pay is a lot better. Wed and thursdays are my sub days if I choose to work mon tues and fri I am on staff. The wed and thurs are just like what you are doing, I sub at one of 5 high schools in the area, I try Art Computers or someother Honors class.

Back
Top Bottom