Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-17-2018, 12:25 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gromit View Post
The installer was the person that told me about the reversing valve and that he would install it to use it. The thermostat required the use of an additonal wire beyond the old setup, and I walked him through the thermostat configuration routine that included some heat pump specific choices (Ecobee thermostat).
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Actually, it appears that the installer put in a heat pump to replace an air conditioner and only hooked it up to the extent that it replaces the air conditioning function. While having full functionality as a heat pump would be nice, it appears that wasn't the agreement, if I understand this correctly. It would have been best to have it clarified when the original work was done, but it sounds like it was an emergency installation.

That was my first thought and it was shot down by the OP.... I have copied his answer...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2018, 01:53 PM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks to everyone for the replies. I'm glad to see that there wasn't a chorus of voices telling me that $2800 is a good rate for a zone panel. I've taken a bunch of the advice here and I plan to talk to the company owner.

In terms of whether to use the AC unit as a heat pump in winter, I'm thinking I would rather just use the 90% gas furnace. A ballpark set of numbers on an HVAC forum showed that the heat pump savings were ok, but not as much as I would've guessed. When I factor in the additional hours use of the AC unit and therefore earlier replacement, the savings shrink a lot.

I also realized one additional factor is important to me. The AC unit is right beside the master bedroom window. During the summer its usually cool enough inside to cut down the AC at bedtime and then the unit rarely cycles on overnight. However, if I'm using the unit as a heat pump it would cycle on/off quite a bit at night throughout the winter. Its not disturbing to hear the unit running, but the abrupt on/off noises it makes are louder and might be bothersome.

Once I get everything resolved, or if I need further help along the way, I will update the thread. Thanks again.
gromit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 06:55 PM   #43
Give me a forum ...

OH, also, the $2800 for zoned is way overpriced if that was all you wanted... mine cost a few hundred and then had to pay for the dampers...

Edit to add.... I am surprised it is so noisy.... mine is very quiet... it is variable, but there are times I can stand right next to it and barely hear it... and I do NOT have the quiet mode on... I just found out today looking at menus that there IS a quiet mode....
Old 10-17-2018, 08:58 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Lover View Post
I don't know of any heat pumps in residential use around here, but perhaps there could be some commercial applications I'm not aware of.
Heat Pumps are okay down to the high 30's, but then an electric coil will kick in and warm the house. They are intended for middle American and south, especially to homes without any natural gas service. Heat pumps are very efficient on a/c, but maybe less efficient when cold temperatures kick in those big electric coils. I say you'd see no heat pumps north of Indianapolis.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 05:18 AM   #45
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I live in the Northeast -north of Boston and heat pumps are all that one sees in new construction these days, despite our colder climate. We are planning on installing AC next year and discovered that unless you have only one head, it isn't possible to install a heat pump system that does not also include heat. I was told the additional cost of the heat component is minimal (Mitsubishi). After quizzing three different installers while shopping for prices, we found that the heat pumps are more efficient for heat than our oil fired Bedarus, presuming that prices for oil are $1.50 or more. That number goes up a bit, to $2.00, as I recall, as the temperature goes down. Heating oil is recently around $2.75.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 10-21-2018, 06:32 AM   #46

The original company who installed it this summer should fix any issue you are having now at no charge. It has to still be under the warranty from earlier this year.
Old 10-21-2018, 06:35 AM   #47

Also you are way better off heating with your gas furnace anytime it is below 60 degrees outside.
Old 10-21-2018, 06:51 AM   #48
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al in Ohio View Post
Also you are way better off heating with your gas furnace anytime it is below 60 degrees outside.
Not necessarily. It depends on the cost of gas vs the cost of electricity, which are both subject to price fluctuations.
Old 10-21-2018, 07:17 AM   #49
Give me a forum ...

As far as comfort goes, I prefer gas heat when it's really cold. Seems to warm my bones better.
Old 10-21-2018, 07:48 AM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden sunsets View Post
I live in the Northeast -north of Boston and heat pumps are all that one sees in new construction these days, despite our colder climate. We are planning on installing AC next year and discovered that unless you have only one head, it isn't possible to install a heat pump system that does not also include heat. I was told the additional cost of the heat component is minimal (Mitsubishi). After quizzing three different installers while shopping for prices, we found that the heat pumps are more efficient for heat than our oil fired Bedarus, presuming that prices for oil are $1.50 or more. That number goes up a bit, to $2.00, as I recall, as the temperature goes down. Heating oil is recently around $2.75.
Just to be clear, you are talking about a mini-split system, which is different from what the rest of this thread is about.

If it gets cold enough that the heat pump system can't keep your house warm, it will need to start using electric resistance heat. It would be a good idea to have a HELOC open to cover the electric bill in that case.

The newer heat pumps (mini-splits and "regular" split units) >can< work at lower outside temps than the older ones, but it still has some negative attributes. The air coming out of the inside units will not be as warm as the air from your present oil furnace, and of course it won't be going to all the rooms that are now serviced by your ducts/registers. Your equipment will be running a lot, and a mini-split system with multiple heads has more fans, sensors, valves etc that will eventually require maintenance (compared to a "regular" ducted split system). How long will the equipment last if the compressor is running almost constantly in the winter + the workout it gets in the summer? You get some snow in Boston, so if you go with the heat pump, be sure to keep the snow off/away from your outside unit.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 03:14 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

I will say that a heat pump heating is much better than my sister who lives in Oregon and has a wood stove heat the house!!!

But, they do have 40 acres of trees so it does not cost them much...
Old 10-21-2018, 06:18 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Quote:
Not necessarily. It depends on the cost of gas vs the cost of electricity, which are both subject to price fluctuations.
+1.

Al in Ohio, where do you get your info from?

https://www.trane.com/residential/en...r-my-home.html

Quote:
The heat pump is effective by itself down to temperatures around 25 to 30 degrees Fahrenheit. At that point, either a gas furnace or an air handler with supplemental electric heat will kick in and help heat your home.
And be careful of broad strokes. I saw some info that there are heat pumps optimized for even lower temps. But it sounds like ~ -4 F is the limit.

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
HVAC/Heat Pump repair price- reasonable or ripoff?
Old 10-21-2018, 09:01 PM   #53

You would save on heating costs by using gas heat whenever the outside temperature is below 60 degrees. The heat pump is usually the better option from 60 to 70 degree outdoor temp when you have a choice between both. Having natural gas heat as your supplemental heat source for your heat pump system is much superior than having an electric coil. Often because of its cheaper rate at lower OA temps it is really most often your primary heat source. Every degree outside it gets colder and increase the delta T from your desired inside temp causes a heat pump system to become more and more inefficient and cost more to operate. Your high efficiency gas furnace is a cheap method of heating regardless. It’s efficiency is not effected by outside temp. A gas therm is also almost always cheaper than electric except in some areas of the country ONLY when that heat pump is operating in the high efficiency range when outside temperature is not too cold.
Old 10-21-2018, 09:23 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
As far as comfort goes, I prefer gas heat when it's really cold. Seems to warm my bones better.

Yep. That’s because the discharge air temperature of gas heat is much warmer than that of a heat pump. Most people feel somewhat drafty and not as comfortable with heat pump systems for that reason too.
Old 10-21-2018, 09:37 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post

See my other post relating to degrading of a heat pumps operating efficiency for every degree outside it gets colder. It is only cheaper at the higher outside air temp conditions. Both rate comparisons and operating efficiency losses of the heat pump have to be evaluated. A gas heat system coupled with a heat pump system will be much more favorable for a much greater portion of the heating season than will the electric coil option. Unfortunately for many, only all electric is available or the additional capital cost of gas heat wasn’t chosen for other reasons.
Old 10-22-2018, 07:25 AM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
+1.

Al in Ohio, where do you get your info from?

https://www.trane.com/residential/en...r-my-home.html

And be careful of broad strokes. I saw some info that there are heat pumps optimized for even lower temps. But it sounds like ~ -4 F is the limit.

-ERD50
Quote:
You would save on heating costs by using gas heat whenever the outside temperature is below 60 degrees. The heat pump is usually the better option from 60 to 70 degree outdoor temp when you have a choice between both. ...

So you repeat it. Got a source?

I think I've asked you before - are you really an Engineer, as your sig suggests? You don't sound like one to me.

So little heat energy is required at 60F-70F outdoor temperatures, it wouldn't make sense to install the extra heat pump complexity for that small range of heating.

Got a source?

-ERD50
Old 10-22-2018, 10:05 AM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
So little heat energy is required at 60F-70F outdoor temperatures, it wouldn't make sense to install the extra heat pump complexity for that small range of heating.

Got a source?
I'm not Al in Ohio, and I don't have a definitive source, nor did I sleep in a Holiday Inn Express last night, but I'll offer up two observations and some back-of-the-envelope calculations:

Observation: Just because Trane says that a heat pump can be >effective< down to 25 or 30 (Deg F), doesn't mean it is more >cost efficient< than other available options might be. There's no doubt that air-to-air heat pumps use more energy to supply heat as the outside temps go down. Clearly at some point, depending on the cost of alternatives (which >don't< have efficiencies that change with outdoor temps), the heat pumps aren't the most cost effective option

Observation: Builders do all kinds of things to reduce their costs that ultimately increase long term costs to home owners. If a central AC unit (or mini-splits) are needed anyway for cooling, the incremental costs of adding a heat pump are small, compared to plumbing a gas line, installing a gas flue (or vents in and out), giving up floor space for a separate furnace, etc. The same goes for other auxiliary sources of heat (oil, propane, etc).

Promised back of the envelope example: I couldn't find any ready-made, impartial "with numbers" examples of heat pump costs vs alternatives at low temps, so I did the hard way. A Fujiitsu mini-split model ASU/AUO12RLFW1 uses 5.9 amps at 220VAC = 1300 watts (outdoor unit only). It has a nominal heating output of 16K BTU/hr (outside temp not provided in specs), but only produces 12.7K BTU/hr at 17 deg F outside temp (and 10.2K BTU/hr at 5 deg F outside temp.) Since Golden Sunsets (post 45) is in New England, let's use their electric rates: 19.93 cents per KWH in Jul 2018. So, for this heat pump to make 10.2KBTU at 17 deg F, it takes 1.3 KWH of electricity, which costs 25.9 cents.

Natural gas (2017 avg, New England residential) costs $13.32 per 1000CF, which provides 1,037,000 BTU. So, to make this same 10.2K BTU of heat (with a 95% efficient furnace) requires us to burn 16 cents worth of gas.

Notes:
1) I didn't include the cost of electricity needed to run the fans on the internal mini-split units, but I also didn't include the fan for the furnace. It would probably be close to even.

2) This is at 17 deg F. It's a lot colder than that for much of the winter in New England, the efficiency of the heat pump would be even lower and the advantage of gas would be even higher.

3) Even at its "nominal" heat output of 16K BTU (outside temp not given, but you can be sure it's pretty warm), the heat pump still is not as cost efficient as gas, given these prices. The heat pump cost is 1.6 cents per KBTU, while the gas furnace requires 1.56 cents per KBTU.

There are lots of variables not included here. Some heat pumps do better/worse at low temps. The cost of fuel oil, wood, wood pellets, propane, or other alternate fuels will almost surely be higher than natural gas.

Even with a well designed (and expensive) heat pump, it takes a lot of energy to extract 100 deg+ temps from air that is 30 degrees. I don't find it hard to believe that it costs more to make heat this way than to simply burn natural gas.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 10:47 AM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
.... some back-of-the-envelope calculations:

Even with a well designed (and expensive) heat pump, it takes a lot of energy to extract 100 deg+ temps from air that is 30 degrees. I don't find it hard to believe that it costs more to make heat this way than to simply burn natural gas.
The short version of that is there are a lot of variables, which is why I asked Al in Ohio for sources. Is he talking about Ohio NG and kWh costs, or the OP's area?

But it does seem to me that if the break-even temperature for an area is 60F~70F outside temperature, that it would be unlikely to justify much added cost in a standard HVAC system. I'm not sure how much a full heat pump plus NG costs versus A/C plus NG, but I think it might be a larger delta than a mini-split, as those are more commonly used as heat pumps?

At 60~70F outside temps, the system just isn't running much at all, so weighted fuel costs will be low. I doubt we have the heat on at all with 60F~70F outside temps, the sun is enough to warm the house. In the spring/fall, it's the overnight dips that drive heating, but early AM when the heat comes on, it's still under 60F, so that would be NG anyhow.

-ERD50
Old 10-22-2018, 10:52 AM   #59

Good backup detail Samclem. I was considering providing similar extended explanation, but just did not put forth the effort to go into that much detail (kudos to you). And yes those heat pumps will work and extract heat below 30 degees , even 20 degrees when specified for a lower temperature capable model, but they are not very good at those temps. Another factor worth mentioning is that while even at the higher outdoor temperature ranges where heat pumps work better, the lower discharge heating supply temp they produce also require them to run longer (more inside fan operation) than the higher discharge temp of a gas heat option. Think how long it takes to warm your house when a heat pump is pumping out 100 degree supply air versus the high efficiency gas furnace pumping out 140 degree heat? The gas heat will finish heating in less than half the time.
Old 10-22-2018, 11:22 AM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Another factor worth mentioning is that while even at the higher outdoor temperature ranges where heat pumps work better, the lower discharge heating supply temp they produce also require them to run longer (more inside fan operation) than the higher discharge temp of a gas heat option.
Absolutely, and also the most user UNfriendly aspect of heat pumps. Someone mentioned that gas "feels better." Darn right, because of this aspect of heat pumps.

I'm still glad I have a heat pump upstairs, installed in an attic retrofit. The retrofit was easier, and I don't have to worry about combustion in a hard to access place (no attic stairs... this may not even pass today's code).

I still am using the original Carrier electronic thermostat from 1999. Works well, and I have the installer manual. I can play with a lot of things on this unit in installer mode, including when the so called "heat strips" (auxiliary resistance heat) comes on. I have that temperature way down to 40, so I'm heat pump only all the way to 40 outside. It is OK since it is just bedroom space, not used much during the day. And the gas heat from downstairs rises up.

Even though I have the aux come on only when really cold, it may still come on by itself when the unit detects frost on the coils. This can happen at any temperature up to about 50. Nothing I can do to stop that. It is also one of the most inefficient modes that the unit runs. Basically, the outdoor condenser briefly goes to A/C mode (in the winter!) to melt the ice. Inside, the aux runs. You can watch your electric meter fly when this happens.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote