Join Early Retirement Today

I Am Free At Last!!!!!
Old 06-02-2006, 05:28 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I Am Free At Last!!!!!

After 32 years and 8 months, I retired today! I can't believe that I don't ever have to go to work again (unless I get bored) and I hope that does not happen. I am usually happy to just putz around on my time off and I hope that continues. I keep feeling like I am going to wake up and it all be a dream.

I want to thank the members of this forum for all of their encouragement and advice and life examples. I don't know if I would have had the courage to pull the plug without knowing that there are people who have done it ahead of me and who are getting along fine, no better than fine, in this world.

I am taking off tomorrow with my DD and her boyfriend for VA. We are going to visit relatives and do the DC tourist sites a couple of days and then go to Kings Dominion Amusement Park. I am sure that I will feel like I am on vacation next week.

So thank you again especially to Dory for having this great site and to all of the members who so graciously give of their time and knowledge!

Dreamer
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: I Am Free At Last!!!!!
Old 06-02-2006, 05:31 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Congratulations Dreamer! Welcome to the club!

Old 06-02-2006, 05:32 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

Dreamer, congratulations!!! *

Was this your biggest dream? *Now, it's your reality!

Have fun with your trip and with retired life!

flipstress (who is still a dreamer)
flipstress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 05:33 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Congrats.

Keep us posted on the adjustment phase!

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 05:35 PM   #5

All the best Dreamer, I can't wait till it's my turn.
Old 06-02-2006, 05:43 PM   #6

Congratuations!!! Have a wonderful trip - it will be so much better knowing you don't have to go back to work when you get home. Or ever!

Are you going to change your handle now that it's more than a dream??
Sheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 07:08 PM   #7

Congratulations Dreamer. REW beat me to it, but welcome to the club.

Enjoy your freedom.
KB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 07:57 PM   #8

Thanks everyone! I like the sound of this club. I probably won't change my handle, because I will still be dreaming about other things, like traveling to different places. I can't wait to travel to some other countries and see some old castles and churches and the like. I have always been somewhat of a daydreamer!

Dreamer
Old 06-02-2006, 08:52 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Congratulations, Dreamer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer
I can't believe that I don't ever have to go to work again (unless I get bored) and I hope that does not happen.
Well, now that you're a member of the club we can give you the rest of the briefing:

Even if you're bored, you still don't have to go back to work! Just turn on the TV, watch the rush-hour traffic cameras, and very quickly you'll remember some task that has to be done.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 07:08 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheryl
Have a wonderful trip - it will be so much better knowing you don't have to go back to work when you get home.* Or ever!
Dreamer - congrats from another new member of the club!* Ditto what Sheryl said - going "on vacation" when you are RE has a much more relaxing feel to it.* I took a week long trip shortly after I was done working, and it was SO nice knowing I didn't have to hurry home to get ready to go back to work!!!* It really lets you relax and enjoy the time.

Enjoy!* *

CJ
cj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 07:49 AM   #11

Congrats Dreamer! May you never look back!

Your "Free at Last" subject line made me chuckle...

Not related to your situation, but a co worker once echoed your words, but in the vein of just getting divorced.

He WAS free at last, LOL!

Lance

Lancelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 11:17 AM   #12

Congrats to you Dreamer. You are right, ERing does not stop you from dreaming about attaining your continuing R goals.
Old 06-03-2006, 02:01 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Dreamer, I'm so happy for you. From your posts I can tell you will do well, you have a great spirit and a lot of joy, and won't have any trouble keeping "busy" : in ER-land. I've got 12 years down, possibly 19 to go, just keep posting about the good life and keep me focused on that FIRE!
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 04:50 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I can't believe that I don't ever have to go to work again
You'll have periods of thinking that for some months ahead. And then after it starts to seem real, you'll have periods of thinking "it sure is really nice that I don't ever have to go to work again".

There is a very noticeable sense of freedom, and I think that is something most of us, while working, just aren't used to and that is why it seems so strange.

Enjoy!

cheers,
Michael
Michael Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 08:51 PM   #15

I envy you. tons of congrats...

can NOT wait for my turn, just hope i won't die a week before or after my retirement. btw, what's your nest egg and how are you handling the finance issue. i am sure you got everything worked out. i am just being nosy and want to hear, learn, copy and admire your retirement.

again, congrat to you. cheers....

enuff
Enuff2Eat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 07:59 AM   #16

C o n g r a t u l a t i o n s.* Now go enjoy the rest of your life.

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 10:18 AM   #17

Hi everyone,

Thanks again for the congrats! I am now back from vacation and it is very nice not having to rush back to work.

Retirement is not for sissies! I was bitten by something on my neck and was advised to go to an urgent care or same day clinic by my BC/BS nurse within 6 hours. My neck reddened and the redness started spreading from the base of my neck up to my ear and was swelling slightly. I was put on 3 days worth of steroids. The swelling went down and it is starting to fade, so I am hoping that it is going away. I wore new tennis shoes while walking around DC and the first day we walked over 10 miles and the second day over 21,000 steps and now my big left toenail is black and blue. I have switched to open toe sandals. I am home and plan on taking it easy this week. My daughter and her boyfriend went with me and they left yesterday afternoon for the beach in NC with his family. They will be back on Friday and his graduation/going away party is Sat, he takes his last PT test on Tues, goes to Pitts on Thurs and flies out 6/23 for basic training with the Navy. It has been his dream to be a Navy Seal. Please keep our family and Josh in your prayers, because it is not going to be easy for any of us. Tara and Josh have been joined at the hip since September. I am so glad that I will be home with her.

Enuff2Eat:

I am relying mostly on my Fed gov pension for my retirement. I looked to see if my spouse were to die, if I could live on my pension, and I determined that I could. We are very fortunate that we do not owe on anything and the majority of my daughter's college is already paid, even though she still has her senior year of high school. I do have money in my Thrift Savings Plan, gov 401K, and in Roth IRAs and my spouse has his 401K, IRA and Roth IRA. I do not plan on touching any of this money for years. We do not have near the money that some people on this site do. However, it is enough for us. I need to review all of our finances now that I have more time. I know that most people do this before they retire, but I know that my pension will be enough. I am a very frugal person by nature. Also, my spouse is still working at a job that he enjoys, and we are putting away the max into his 401K and Roth IRA. I almost had the max for my TSP this year and will put the max into my Roth IRA this year. I will be checking to see if I can put some money next year into a Roth IRA. I think that I have read in the past about a spousal IRA and will check that out for next year.

Again, thanks for all the kind words.

Dreamer

Old 06-12-2006, 10:36 AM   #18

Rock on, Dreamer. That's great news. Congrats.
Old 06-12-2006, 11:07 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome back, Dreamer!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer
They will be back on Friday and his graduation/going away party is Sat, he takes his last PT test on Tues, goes to Pitts on Thurs and flies out 6/23 for basic training with the Navy. It has been his dream to be a Navy Seal. Please keep our family and Josh in your prayers, because it is not going to be easy for any of us. Tara and Josh have been joined at the hip since September.
My first thought was "ruh-roh", but this'll certainly test the strength of their relationship. Life will be interesting.

Have you read Dick Couch's "Warrior Elite" or "The Finishing School"? Dick is one of the first Navy SEALs and a very insightful writer who was given complete access to the BUD/S course for his research. The first book should be a mandatory read for any SEAL's family/friends and the second one goes a long way toward explaining what the future holds.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 11:31 AM   #20

Josh has both of those books and has read them. I started reading the first one when he had it here, but he took it back. I personally think that one has to be nuts to want to be a seal from the little that I read. Also, while we were in VA, my sister has the Dish TV and there is a military channel. Josh was looking at the schedule and there was a show titled Navy Seals-Buds training on the next morning from 6:00 am to 9:00 am. Josh and I watched it and it was very interesting. It took you up to the start of Hell Week. I wish that we could have seen the rest of it.

I have no idea if their relationship will work or not. I will not be holding my breath, because I think that my daughter is still pretty immature about some things. She is against him going into the military, but he had already signed up before they started dating. However, he just switched his school or whatever it is called to Seal Operative, so that he is guaranteed to be able to try out for Seal right away and earn a bonus if he makes it, but he had to sign up for 2 more years, so he has signed up for 6 years. All of my daughter's tears and pleading did not change his mind at all and he signed the new contract. I hope that he makes it, since it is his dream. He told me that after basic training, he will go to CA and will spend his time training until the BUDS class starts in March 07. We live in WV, so it will definitely be a long distance relationship.

Dick Couch has a third book out regarding the Navy SEALS. I don't remember the name of it, but my daughter is planning on getting it for Josh. I am going to check the library to see if they have his other books and read them and try to get my daughter to read them. I would like for her to see what he is going to be up against. I am afraid that she is going to be negative and complaining and he will not need that in his life.

Dreamer