Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-08-2020, 10:45 PM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMolly View Post
I have always been an introverted stay-at-homer, so this "lockdown" has not been an issue for me other than not seeing my family - granddaughter, son, daughter, brothers and sisters. But we were never much on going out to eat or to parties and whatnot, so that part is really no different.

Your statement is so exactly what I would have said, that I had to double check to be sure I hadn’t already commented!
Ally is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2020, 05:08 AM   #62
Recycles dryer sheets

And all the hugging people want to do, keep away :-)
ransil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 05:23 AM   #63
gone traveling

Introvert here also. I truly enjoyed my 10 weeks at home (back to work now), and was healthier/happier than I have been in a long time. While others (co-workers, and friends) were complaining how bored, and riddled with anxiety they were over everything, and made it a point of not watching the news, and concentrating on home.farm projects.

Even with the rough Spring weather, I was able to build a beautiful new greenhouse https://www.instructables.com/id/DIY...lid-Structure/, and convert an old row boat into a fully functioning bass boat by building casting decks with storage compartments, a livewell, and rod holders. I cut down a bunch of dead standing trees, and pulled the logs into my yard for firewood processing. I also helped a friend on his new roof after a fire.
ckelly78z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 05:27 AM   #64
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by ransil View Post
And all the hugging people want to do, keep away :-)
My brother's side are all huggers, they feel it necessary to hug everyone in the room while coming, and going...I tend to go rigid.
ckelly78z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 09:46 AM   #65
Recycles dryer sheets

Introvert here, and proud of it. Put me on a thousand acres with a house smack dab in the middle. "GET OFF MY LAWN". DW and I feel annoyed if we have to go to some engagement.

Currently on 3 acres with no visible neighbors, and has been probably 5 years since last interaction with a neighbor.

Posting on this and a few other forums is the extent of effort I'm willing to put out for idle chit chat. And even then, meh, not important as evident of having 378 posts since 2008.
Old 06-09-2020, 01:57 PM   #66

OP here, I had started this thread by saying I was starting to understand introverts better. After reading this thread I must admit I was wrong--I do not understand what it is to be an introvert. I respect the way introverts feel but it is hard for me to understand--I am definitely an extrovert. My feeling about being with friends, small talk, etc are very different from what the introverts here described.

I have decided that my issue before the stay at home order was over scheduling. I am enjoying not be so scheduled. In fact this week I have resigned from one nonprofit board. I still believe in the mission of the nonprofit but I no longer fit the Board and was frustrated with it so I got out.

Yesterday my DH and I had over 2 other couples for a "social distancing cocktail party" in the driveway--everyone brought their own chairs food and drink and we sat 6 feet apart. We had a great time--small talk, catching up, telling jokes, etc. I had really missed that.
harllee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 02:15 PM   #67
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by harllee View Post
OP here, I had started this thread by saying I was starting to understand introverts better. After reading this thread I must admit I was wrong--I do not understand what it is to be an introvert. I respect the way introverts feel but it is hard for me to understand--I am definitely an extrovert. My feeling about being with friends, small talk, etc are very different from what the introverts here described.

I have decided that my issue before the stay at home order was over scheduling. I am enjoying not be so scheduled. In fact this week I have resigned from one nonprofit board. I still believe in the mission of the nonprofit but I no longer fit the Board and was frustrated with it so I got out.

Yesterday my DH and I had over 2 other couples for a "social distancing cocktail party" in the driveway--everyone brought their own chairs food and drink and we sat 6 feet apart. We had a great time--small talk, catching up, telling jokes, etc. I had really missed that.
Sitting at home in my lazy boy alone in the middle of 10 acres life is good.
ransil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 04:09 PM   #68
Confused about dryer sheets

INTJ entering isolation here.
slick8511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 04:17 PM   #69
Recycles dryer sheets

It all depends on the company you are around I suppose. I do enjoy time alone at home, but I also enjoy going out to places with friends. With covid, it's been virtual get together, mainly on the Poker Face app
2cheap2eat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 04:58 PM   #70
Dryer sheet aficionado

Hey, buzz off--we don't want to be understood!

Just kidding. Yes, I'm right on the borderline. Love staying home and love going out. I'll be glad when I can go out again, but am finding plenty of pleasures right here.
drcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 05:12 PM   #71

I don’t think an extrovert can ever understand an introvert. When I was working we had some kind of HR training on Social “Types.” It was supposed to make us understand each other better and work together better knowing how each other perceived various work personalities in different situations. The result was the extroverts took it upon themselves to “fix” us. For example, the introverts described in the training how we were often spoken over by the extrovert before we could finish our thought, resulting in our being drowned out of many meetings. They “fixed” that by pausing at some arbitrary point of the meeting asking us our thoughts on something, but not necessarily anything we actually had something to say about. It basically put us on the spot making us even more uncomfortable.
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 05:32 PM   #72
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
Me, I'll yuk it up with anyone, anywhere; clerks in banks, cashiers in supermarkets, library staff.....but I prefer to do it on my feet where I can say "See Ya" and depart after finite interactions.

One, (a minor one, and certainly not the 'only'), reason that we (virtually) never go to the dining rooms on ships is that I (and DW feels the same) don't want to get stuck at a particular table with a bunch of people in whom I/we have no interest...(and I'm sure they'd feel the same about me).........and as for going on tours.."Aaaargghh!"
I would not be able to enjoy my meal if I was sitting at a table with strangers. I would be totally stressed out. Sail Norwegian and you get your own table. Thankfully.
HGTVFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 06:20 PM   #73
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash man View Post
I don’t think an extrovert can ever understand an introvert.
I agree, in my experience that is unlikely.
Quote:
When I was working we had some kind of HR training on Social “Types.” It was supposed to make us understand each other better and work together better knowing how each other perceived various work personalities in different situations. The result was the extroverts took it upon themselves to “fix” us. For example, the introverts described in the training how we were often spoken over by the extrovert before we could finish our thought, resulting in our being drowned out of many meetings. They “fixed” that by pausing at some arbitrary point of the meeting asking us our thoughts on something, but not necessarily anything we actually had something to say about. It basically put us on the spot making us even more uncomfortable.
Exhibit A in bold.

Workplaces tend to be setup for extroverts. I'm glad I don't have to spend time at those psychological pain in the ... places any more.
jimbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 06:22 PM   #74
Recycles dryer sheets

I consider myself to be introverted most of the time. I have been doing just fine since mid March. Yes, there are times when I can choose to be an extrovert and take charge too. When at a gathering, I will gravitate to someone standing alone to talk to them.

Although not always motivated, I have been using this time for walks and "dejunking" (just took a large donation today). I imagine by the end of summer, I will have everything in shape and even more items gone to new homes.

There was once an essay by the late Admiral James Stockdale. He stated that while he was a POW, he would think about all the time he wasted by going to cocktail parties with people he did not know, or did not like. So I imagine he reallocated his time after that too.
imnontrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 07:26 PM   #75

Quote:
I don’t think an extrovert can ever understand an introvert. When I was working we had some kind of HR training on Social “Types.” It was supposed to make us understand each other better and work together better knowing how each other perceived various work personalities in different situations. The result was the extroverts took it upon themselves to “fix” us. For example, the introverts described in the training how we were often spoken over by the extrovert before we could finish our thought, resulting in our being drowned out of many meetings. They “fixed” that by pausing at some arbitrary point of the meeting asking us our thoughts on something, but not necessarily anything we actually had something to say about. It basically put us on the spot making us even more uncomfortable.
I could have written this about my w#rkplace. This is just one of many, many reasons I've been very happy to be w#rking from home since mid-March. I am 100% INTJ. Now I don't have to deal with people who constantly call impromptu meetings to have "team brainstorming sessions" about every little thing. It has been heaven.

All our meetings are now by zoom, and they are very efficient - they don't run over by even five minutes, whereas in the office I can't count how many endless meetings I lived through.
Old 06-09-2020, 07:36 PM   #76
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I don't want to understand anyone. I have enough work figuring myself out.

All you people that want to be left alone, I'm never gonna bother you, promise.
Old 06-09-2020, 08:33 PM   #77
Full time employment: Posting here.

Love this thread! I was definitely an extrovert when I was younger, but as time has gone on I've come to really love solitude and less noise even though I live in NYC!

I think when I retired at 50 three and a half years ago one of the main reasons was the forced socialization of being in a crowded office 50 hours a week. The small talk, ugh...and Monday mornings? OMG , just painful hahaha
FREE866 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 09:44 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by harllee View Post
I am starting to understand introverted stay at home folks more. Anybody else enjoying staying at home?
I have always been an introvert. For years, I thought something was "wrong" with me because I would much rather sit and read a book than go out and socialize.

A couple of years ago, I read a great book, "Quiet" by Susan Cain. It was a real eye opener to discover that it's OK not be the life of the party.
CoolRich59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 09:48 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwraigty View Post
An excellent book to understand introverts is Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking by Susan Cain. I bought it in ebook form and it describes how I feel extremely well.
Oops. Sorry, gwraigty. I posted before reading the thread and seeing your mention of the book. But, I'm certainly glad others enjoyed this book as much as I did!
Old 06-09-2020, 09:58 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Badger View Post
Interacting with groups of people can be exhausting for me. Family and friends are welcome and cause no stress.
This is the biggest challenge for me.

Events where I need to mingle, make small talk, etc. are both stress-inducing and exhausting. Business events were the worst for me, but even family events involving more than my wife and kids leave me spent at the end of the evening.