Join Early Retirement Today

I am starting to understand Introverts
Old 06-03-2020, 02:53 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I am starting to understand Introverts

I have always been an extroverted people person. My calendar was always filled with meetings, parties, dinners, events, etc. When I had to start staying home about 3 months ago I really missed all that. But now I am starting to wind down and I am enjoying the quiet time--not checking my calendar all the time, staying home, going for long bike rides, sitting on my porch reading books, playing cards with DH, cooking at home. I am realizing I don't need to stay busy all the time and that some of the people I was spending alot of time with were not that much fun anyway. I am starting to understand introverted stay at home folks more. Anybody else enjoying staying at home?
harllee is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2020, 02:56 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by harllee View Post
I have always been an extroverted people person. My calendar was always filled with meetings, parties, dinners, events, etc. When I had to start staying home about 3 months ago I really missed all that. But now I am starting to wind down and I am enjoying the quiet time--not checking my calendar all the time, staying home, going for long bike rides, sitting on my porch reading books, playing cards with DH, cooking at home. I am realizing I don't need to stay busy all the time and that some of the people I was spending alot of time with were not that much fun anyway. I am starting to understand introverted stay at home folks more. Anybody else enjoying staying at home?
When I was younger, I was like you. But now in my mid 70's, I can stay home more, but I still need to get out and do stuff. I don't know how to explain it better, but after a couple of days at home, I get antsy and need an escape for a while.
Old 06-03-2020, 03:10 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

I am kind of in the middle.
I have started playing Pickleball outside again, so that makes it somewhat better.
Still miss traveling and some entertainment.
Old 06-03-2020, 03:10 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have always been an introverted stay-at-homer, so this "lockdown" has not been an issue for me other than not seeing my family - granddaughter, son, daughter, brothers and sisters. But we were never much on going out to eat or to parties and whatnot, so that part is really no different.
And whatever your labors and aspirations in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.- Desiderata by Max Ehrmann
MissMolly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 03:12 PM   #5

Quote:
Anybody else enjoying staying at home?
Huh? What is all this fuss about some "lockdown" thing?
Old 06-03-2020, 03:33 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Huh? What is all this fuss about some "lockdown" thing?
There was a "lock down", why didn't someone tell me?

OP I used to want to be involved with many people and things when I was w*rking.... I credit ER with allowing me to discover who I am to me and force me to be comfortable with me. Now I can say I'm comfortable in my own skin. Yeah after a while it's nice for others company at a distance with a clear escape plan.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 03:59 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I have always enjoyed my home life. I also enjoy going out and having fun. Which has been cancelled by covid.

And that just sucks.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 04:09 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
I have always enjoyed my home life. I also enjoy going out and having fun. Which has been cancelled by covid.

And that just sucks.
I'm with Robbie's feelings. Glad things are opening back up here.

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 04:12 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I did not put this in the Covid Forum because I don't want it to be about "lock downs". I want the discussion to be about an extrovert turning into more of an introvert and slowing down life.
Old 06-03-2020, 05:02 PM   #10

Big time introvert here. But I love to travel, so BS lock down sucks big time. Being an introvert and staying home are not synonymous.
Old 06-03-2020, 05:05 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Badger View Post
Big time introvert here. But I love to travel, so BS lock down sucks big time. Being an introvert and staying home are not synonymous.
Red Badger--I guess I need to a better definition of introverts. Can you tell me how you define it?
Old 06-03-2020, 05:10 PM   #12

Quote:
Red Badger--I guess I need to a better definition of introverts. Can you tell me how you define it?

Not Red Badger but for me being an introvert means being around other people I get "drained" because I have to watch and match other people. So eventually I have to "rest and recharge" from being around people. I would suspect an extrovert gets "charged and energized" by being around other people but of course, not being one just a guess on my part.
ejman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 05:11 PM   #13

An excellent book to understand introverts is Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking by Susan Cain. I bought it in ebook form and it describes how I feel extremely well.
gwraigty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 05:18 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

So for those of you who are introverts are you like Red Badger and love to travel? If so do you go solo? I am an an extrovert (or I thought I was because I generally like being around people) but I have always hated group travel. In fact, I am not planning on traveling any time soon and that does not bother me at all.
Old 06-03-2020, 05:37 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
So for those of you who are introverts are you like Red Badger and love to travel? If so do you go solo? I am an an extrovert (or I thought I was because I generally like being around people) but I have always hated group travel. In fact, I am not planning on traveling any time soon and that does not bother me at all.
My definition of "introvert" is "I can do things and do not need to be around other people to enjoy myself". While I prefer traveling with my DW, if she is unable to and does not care if I travel, I do. I enjoy going to live sports events, movies, golfing, fishing, biking, etc. - but not having someone to go with did not (and still does not) stop me from doing these things.

I have enough interests that even if some are taken away, I can still keep busy and enjoy myself. However, my DW is a flaming extrovert , and the strict lockdown was hard on her. Even Zoom meetings for her teaching and with friends do not fully make it right for her. She will never be an introvert like me - fine with me, since opposites attract .
Old 06-03-2020, 07:20 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Yeah, mine too. She misses in person meetings and is full of fear. I would like to get on my bad motor scooter and ride...somewhere and eat something...not on the saddle or sitting in the parking lot...on the hot asphalt.

Some foods do not travel well and need to be eaten "hot off the stove"
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 09:43 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Badger View Post
Yeah, I am quite content staying home for long periods, but I also love to travel. So, yeah I’m a traveling introvert and don’t mind dealing with lots of foreign strangers and novel situations while traveling. I find it quite exhilarating and love trying new things and exploring.
Old 06-03-2020, 09:56 PM   #18

I have been an introvert all my life and have no problem spending time alone. However, life is a lot more fun when you have someone to share it with. I can't imagine life without my wife to experience it with.

I tend to avoid people, especially large gatherings, but I'm not the type to take vacations by myself or that sort of thing. I've done it once or twice, but found it too lonely to enjoy the experience. I tend not to do much of anything when I'm truly alone.

My wife is more of an extrovert and certainly improved my social interactions. I can easily strike up conversations with total strangers out in public. Still, I can't handle being in a social group for more than an hour or so before I start feeling uncomfortable. The longer I'm stuck in a social situation, the more I tend to withdraw and can't think about anything but getting out of that situation.
mountainsoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 03:09 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

I am introverted, but to me it does not necessarily mean staying at home for days at a time. Perhaps it is because my home is quite small. I enjoy long walks in nature, leisurely drives in the mountains, and I don't mind traveling or eating out all by myself either. I don't feel the need to "share" anything with anyone - I'm not even on social media anymore.

That said, I enjoy having a good time with easy-going people.
FIREd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 03:23 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

I’m extremely introverted and my anxiety level flashes red when in crowds. I love spending time with my wife who is also an introvert. I’ve been known to get physically ill if I’m stuck at a large gathering. I enjoy time to myself a great deal and have no problem doing things by myself or with my wife if I want to. When I’m with others, conversation is an option for me. I prefer to watch others interact rather than participate.
Dash man is online now   Reply With Quote