Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

I announced today that I quit
Old 03-29-2007, 09:21 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

I announced today that I quit

It's a long story... but I had requested to take tomorrow off. I thought it was a done deal since I requested it a few weeks ago. When my super said I couldn't have it off, I said "I QUIT". She looked shocked. It wasn't a bluff because I'm not good at that kind of thing. I was ready to walk. I told her I needed the day off, that my case load had gotten rather large and I was looking forward to tomorrow off. I was willing to leave. She backed off. So I have tomorrow off and I go back to work Monday. I've worked for local government for over 29 years and NEVER said that before. I guess sometimes enough becomes enough. I'm sure you all know what I mean! I'm the type of employee that always shows up to work and I mean always. There's been snow, fire, mudslides and everything else. But I go to work. :P
mountaintosea is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: I announced today that I quit
Old 03-29-2007, 09:41 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Wow. So, what now? In most cases, unless your supervisor is inclined to just "forget" such things in order to avoid dealing with it, I'd guess he/she will be thinking about "life after mountaintosea." If your supervisor believes you'd really leave, then he/she must recognize that you have options and are in a position of relative power that is probably unstable. He/she won't want to be forced into backing down again, and will want to be ready with a plan to replace you/otherwise get your work done if you pull the plug.
If you are REALLY willing to quit over not getting a day off that you believe you had coming (and I can understand how that would sting), it might be time to just give notice and retire. Best to go out on a good note, right?
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 09:43 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

You know, it's a crying shame when people have to threaten to quit to get a @#!#@*! day off. A loyal employee with 29 years of service deserves better than that.
Old 03-29-2007, 09:56 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

"Requesting," time off and getting Approval, are two different things.
Did you just, assume it had been approved??
Sundance Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 11:26 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

At our joint they (mismanagement) are SUPPOSED to give you written approval (or denial) for days off that you request.....in 31 years, it has NEVER happened...NEVER!!! The only acknowledgment that they ever come up with is verbal if they won't let you have the time off. So everyone has had to assume that days off were approved unless they received a verbal negative, and that response has always been as soon as they received your request.

I sure am gonna miss it all!!! NOT!!!
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 02:41 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

If I exclude the menial jobs I had at a very young age and the military... I have not had a request denied for a day off... ever! Of course, I am not one to abuse the situation either. (Some people do push the limits).

I am a manager... I have never denied a time-off request... even when it is short notice (e.g. I have to leave now). I probably will not ever do so (unless there was a problem person that is abusing the situation). People need to balance work and their life. Fortunately I work for a company that realizes this. The only exception might be if the oraganization were in a crisis (extraordinary times) and the person's reason seemed like a non-critical event. Even then, I am not sure that I would deny the time-off... but I would probably remember the event if they were not sensitive to it. This would impact the merit increase.

Fortunately... the people that report to me are highly educated professionals witha good work ethic. This makes it easy. However... I have seen people who really abuse the time-off thing. Of course, those are usually the same people who show up late, leave early, never get work done on time...etc.

You know... one thing about a good manager is... they undertand that certain events, situations, things that happen can bring out the worst in people at times. People react. My approach is to let it cool-down and forget it. I have my bad days too.

One of the key things in being a manager is to balance trust, fairness, and try to maximize the output of the team (in a sane way). It helps to not get emotional.

Direct reports often complain about the boss... even if they are a good manager. It comes with the territory.

Oh and complaining should always go up the chain... not down.
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 03:32 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I agree with Chinaco....

When I managed people in London I had been there less than 3 weeks when I was walking with one of my reports... he casually mentioned that he needed to leave early to pick up his car from the repair shop.... I didn't even think about it for a second and said "OK" and kept talking about the subject we were on... didn't even cross my mind that someone would say no.... but, I found out much later that it was not a common practice to let people have time off with such short notice etc...

The only time I would refuse is if you knew that 'something' was due and it was always due at this time AND that the rest of the group would have to work extraordinary overtime to get it done... but otherwise.. have a great time off... Isn't that what 'vacation' is for
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 05:33 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Ditto Texas Proud and Chinaco. In twenty some years as a supervisor and manager I don't remember ever refusing a request for a day off, leaving early for whatever. I did ask employees to plan summer and holiday trips way ahead so we would have coverage. I keep thinking I must have turned down a last minute, non-emergency request on a holiday but, if so, I don't remember it. I knew how I felt about time off and I applied that "Golden Rule" to the people who worked for me.

But I always had a pretty professional group of direct reports. I did have subordinate managers who had some serious problems related to leave. I sympathize with supervisors working shops that need shift coverage, lots of overtime, etc. Think retail, restaurants, bulk work shops, etc. Absenteeism is their biggest problem. If you have ever worked in such a place you probably know the resentment you can feel when a jerk of a co-worker screws you up by not showing up on time.
Old 03-30-2007, 05:39 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I have been fortunate. I could let my boss know the day before and it was ok. There were times when he was out of the office I would simply leave him a memo that I was taken the day off, and that was fine too.

It's gonna be interesting how Monday goes for you. Might be a little tense. Good luck with it all.
Old 03-30-2007, 06:36 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

I have managed both a production group and white collar groups. My rule was if you have vacation available you can take it whenever you want just find someone to cover for you. This put the bug back on the person to find someone. It worked better that way as they could say can you cover me at this time and I'll cover for you in the future? Better than a boss assigning extra work to someone. And an easier process on the manager!

"It is only possible to live happily ever after on a day-to-day basis” Margaret Bonnano
gandalf42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 06:41 AM   #11

Wow ... 2 rules I learned early on in mega-corp management:

1. Do not mess with peoples pay

2. Do not mess with peoples vacation.

Old 03-30-2007, 06:46 AM   #12

Moutaintosea, I fee your pain. My DH is in the same situation.

We have a big trip planned for this summer. His boss asked for summer plans before we had dates finalized, so, with 4 months notice, he gave her some ball park dates. She denied it, didn't like the selected weeks and said it was too much time (3 weeks). He has tons of unused AL and SL. He has now submitted the actual dates (different weeks and only 2 weeks time), but has not had a response. He will take the time and if he gets canned, so be it. He has started looking around for something else, since we are not quite FI, but with some adjustments, he could accept something for a lot less $ that will support a lot more life.

The kicker - he works for an agency that is supposed to protect children and families, but which hinders well-being of family life for its employees at every turn. It was not always this way, but this is the way it is now.

In my office, we don't ask for leave, we tell our bosses when we will be away. The office treats employees as responsible adults and expects that they will not leave deadlines uncovered.

I would not have anyone adopt my mode of living...but I would have each one be very careful to find out and pursue his own way, and not his father's or his mother's or his neighbor's instead. Thoreau, Walden
Sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 07:30 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Ok, so now that you got the day off...what's next? Do you intend to quit in the near future? If not, you may have let flown an arrow that cannot be retrieved. Your boss may now view you in a different light and one that is harsh and revealing. If your intent is to actually quit in the very near future then you may be OK; otherwise you may have created a wall between the two of you that will create some discomfort for you both for as long as you continue to work there.

Good luck.
Old 03-30-2007, 07:35 AM   #14

Sounds to me as if you have had enough and it may be time for you to move on. So what is your gameplan from here? Are you FI?

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 08:49 AM   #15

I guess I'm lucky in a way. As long as client's work is taken care of, I can take off whenever. We don't really have a formal leave policy, so I just announce that I'm taking off whenever during our weekly staff meeting. If some day is a nice day, I can just call in and say I'm taking the day off. As long as I don't have deadlines...
justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 08:51 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse
Are you FI?
IMHO, that is the important issue. I am still at work, didn't get the buyout I thought might happen earlier this year. But I like what I do, have younger son in high school and and can go out whenever I want.

This has done two things for me; it has 'jerk proofed' my work life and I have to accept that I am doing what I want since I dont 'have' to do anything. Since I have no one else to blame I reflected on my life in and out of work and decided I like what I am doing and will do so for at least some months more.
Old 03-30-2007, 09:02 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Yes, the OP played a big card on this one. I almost never deny a time-off request by one of my reports and when I do it is for a very clear and compelling logical reason (e.g. too many overlapping time-off requests to allow safe ongoing operations).

But as Steve implied, this may be a battle one and a war lost unless, of course, you are FI. The original post had a quality to it that made me wonder if the OP really wants to FIRE and is almost "hoping" this precipitates the big decision.

Hope it works out.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 02:48 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Old story from my work place. An employee named Suchko (not his real name) called off sick and then played golf.
Next day, at work, he bragged to some colleagues that he really wasn't sick, that he played golf. Word got back somehow to his manager and he was fired !
To this day, we laugh about it and when someone needs a day off, we tell him to take a vacation day or a "suchko" day ! Ha Ha.

renferme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 04:02 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennevis
Old story from my work place. An employee named Suchko (not his real name) called off sick and then played golf.
Next day, at work, he bragged to some colleagues that he really wasn't sick, that he played golf. Word got back somehow to his manager and he was fired !
To this day, we laugh about it and when someone needs a day off, we tell him to take a vacation day or a "suchko" day ! Ha Ha.

It is funny how different people view things differently.... we have project managers here who will go 'site visiting'... and wind up on a golf course... the manager knows they are doing it, but they work a lot (some get in at 6 AM)... so, he never tells them no... we joke about it all the time.... one time they had someone take one of his shoes out of his bag.. he was pissed off, but like a true golfer, bought another pair!!
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 07:48 PM   #20

Hmm A lot of interesting posts.

1. Yes I am FI (I never would have said it if I wasn't).
2. The courts were closed today so the admin people had a seminar planned.
3. The super wanted as many people to go as possible (politics)so she and the chief could look good for the department. They thought it would be frowned upon if not all showed up.( Several others took off).
4. I never take a day off if I think there is a lot on calendar or I have trials hearing etc.
5. I put in the notice several weeks ago. I tried to put it through their new system but I guess the super & chief did not notice. I did enquire about whether it had been ok'd. I was told by several sources it was ok.
6. I guess I'm on the edge of walking.
7. I didn't do anything special today. I'm just fed up. But I'm trying to hang in there for the extra cash. And yes they are supposed to respond in I believe 10 days. No this has never happened before. The chief and super are new and young.
8. They are short staffed. Even though they talk about all the new hires, we are always short staffed. Departments steal employees from each other.
9. This is a rather stressful job so I guess there is a lot of turn over.
10. Nobody is really happy with the new admin.(they are the 3rd since 2000)
11. I get a letter from the county giving me two extra days off every year because I have "Perfect Attendance". (I don't use sick leave)
mountaintosea is offline   Reply With Quote