Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-01-2021, 04:19 PM   #61
Confused about dryer sheets

Lived in the Bay Area for 35 years. Great place to live but we had our fill..plus people density was getting insane... and that was 10 years ago.

Moved to the Big Island after FIRE and much consideration. Housing was a wash from CA levels and other expenses seem on par. Gas is higher but you don't go terribly far before hitting water. Biggest challenges for a CA transplant are understanding fine dining and A-level entertainment isn't on the menu, things just take longer (eg, no 1-day Amazon delivery), shipping costs need to be thought of as a "paradise tax", and you'll likely need to fly to CA from time to time assuming you have roots there.

As others have said, your list is all over so spending extended time in each would be wise. We did that prior to retiring so we were ready to book outta CA.
KonaTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2021, 04:23 PM   #62
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
I'm a son of the Deep South, and there's something to be said for living in the middle of the country--where we have both mountains and magnificent lakes within 1/2 hour. My city is full of rocket and missile scientists and engineers--very smart place.

I don't like paying taxes, and let me leave it at that for the politics. My wife & I have no property taxes which allows us to have a much nicer home.

And I like being in close proximity to 3 cities of 1 million+ people and a # of mid size cities. Nothing boring about a 75 minute run into the Music City and their 2,500 restaurants.

I sometimes watch City-Data.com and one of the favorite subjects is where to move. In the ultra LCOL southeast, the city that comes up time and time again is Cookeville, Tennessee--a college town 80 miles east of Nashville. The region has dozens of large waterfalls, virgin streams and two of the premier lakes anywhere.

a) Island living i.e. Hawaii--Very beautiful, but incredibly expensive place to live.
b) Big City living i.e. DC--I cannot stand big cities after 10 years living in Hotlanta.
c) Off-the-grid i.e. a shack in Montana--My wife requires more medical care than is commonly available there.
d) Europe--Not easy to get a Visa without payola of big $. Too many kids need us here.
e) Beach-side i.e. Florida--HOA fees, high property taxes and unbelievable homeowner's insurance rates more than offset the lack of state income taxes. Tennessee has no state income taxes and also cheap property taxes--something Texas cannot say.

And whoever would think that Huntsville, Alabama is the #3 fastest growing city (percentage wise) in the country--according to United Van Lines.

I’ve lived in Cookeville as a college student and South of Nashville. Both were great locations. Obviously more to do in Nashville but you would be close to Nashville within a 45 mile radius which I find a better option. This is a great recommendation. Taxes are lower as well in smaller towns outside of Nashville. Tennessee has no state income tax.

Visited Huntsville many times and a good option too.
GaryTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 04:41 PM   #63
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

For now, we are staying in Northern Va, a place we moved to twice during work years.

If we moved would probably be to Texas where we have family. But dramatic population growth in DFW takes some of the shine off, though we do love the heat, scorpions, snakes, bugs, thunderstorms, tornadoes and now the specter of the Deep Freeze! Great state though and great people.

We love the west and travel there a good bit after living in Scottsdale a few years. A bit worried about water out there though. But love the dry air and beautiful areas.

Ultimately we plan to just stay here till we find some place better.
Montecfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 04:46 PM   #64
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfTheCheapos View Post
Help me out here.

I live in CA and like it but having lived here for over two decades I'm due for a change or is CA as good as it gets?

I have something I made in excel that proved very helpful, and made it a easier to decide where to buy our retirement home for us. A few people on the site here have used it, if interested send a PM, and I will send it to you. Provides a weighted logical answer to the things you are seeking in a retirement area, and compares the towns you input.
gooddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Me2
Old 06-01-2021, 05:08 PM   #65
Dryer sheet wannabe

Me2

Quote:
Help me out here.

I live in CA and like it but having lived here for over two decades I'm due for a change or is CA as good as it gets?

What are the main options for retiring locations. I can think of:

a) Island living i.e. Hawaii
b) Big City living i.e. DC
c) Off-the-grid i.e. a shack in Montana
d) Europe
e) Beach-side i.e. Florida

Or maybe I'm thinking about it all wrong! Help me out!

I don't have family in the US so am not tied to any one area.
I was going back and forth about selling my house in Palm Springs and using the net proceeds to pay cash for a place and not have a house payment. But, prop 13 and humidity kept coming up in my thought process. With inflation in our future, (yes, the same 1979's inflation when we were seeing retirees across the country loosing their houses due to rising, run away real estate taxes) prop 13 is a Godsend. I have the same list of places as you. I have found I am able, and in the past 7 retirement years, content to travel to NYC, DC, SF, Portland, Phoenix, San Diego, LA and the California beaches, since I retired here. A month in Paris for my 60ieth got put on a back-burner due to cOVID. The grass may look greener, but I am ALWAYS glad I stayed in CA.
Ablatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 05:21 PM   #66
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montecfo View Post
For now, we are staying in Northern Va, a place we moved to twice during work years.

If we moved would probably be to Texas where we have family. But dramatic population growth in DFW takes some of the shine off, though we do love the heat, scorpions, snakes, bugs, thunderstorms, tornadoes and now the specter of the Deep Freeze! Great state though and great people.

We love the west and travel there a good bit after living in Scottsdale a few years. A bit worried about water out there though. But love the dry air and beautiful areas.

Ultimately we plan to just stay here till we find some place better.
You forgot the dramatic rise in housing prices

Part of challenge of moving is all your friends and networks you built are left behind too. I can’t imagine moving and re-starting to build long-term friendships, unless it’s a Caribbean island!
2cheap2eat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 05:27 PM   #67
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ablatus View Post
I was going back and forth about selling my house in Palm Springs and using the net proceeds to pay cash for a place and not have a house payment. But, prop 13 and humidity kept coming up in my thought process. With inflation in our future, (yes, the same 1979's inflation when we were seeing retirees across the country loosing their houses due to rising, run away real estate taxes) prop 13 is a Godsend. I have the same list of places as you. I have found I am able, and in the past 7 retirement years, content to travel to NYC, DC, SF, Portland, Phoenix, San Diego, LA and the California beaches, since I retired here. A month in Paris for my 60ieth got put on a back-burner due to cOVID. The grass may look greener, but I am ALWAYS glad I stayed in CA.
Always wonder: If you can pass a "Proposition" (like 13) can you undo it with another proposition - or maybe even a super majority in the legislature? Locally, kupuna (elders - stretched to "retired" if you like) have lots of advantages tax wise. Most pensions plus SS are not state taxed (at the up to 10%+ levels of those w*rking). Property taxes are lowered by exemptions and HI already has the lowest property taxes/real value in the nation. BUT, every few years, the legislature makes noises about changing all this to something more "fair" - whatever that is. SO, just wondering how iron clad Prop 13 is. Folks here seem to think it's inviolate and set in stone, but I always wondered since YMMV.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 05:49 PM   #68
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

DW's cousin grew up in the Bay Area, but recently moved to Reno (after retiring).

Proximity to Tahoe is a BIG plus

Just a thought.
Old 06-01-2021, 05:59 PM   #69

I recommend getting the books “ This is Where I Belong” and “Home Sweet Home: How to Decide Whether You Should Stay or Go in Retirement”.
meleana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 06:00 PM   #70
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
I hear Texas is a great state to live, members here speak highly of it.

MichaelB, it's probably best not to believe everything you read on the Internet....

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
I am waiting for our Texas tourism adviser to chime in!!!!
Until he arrives, this says it all, IMO.

Old 06-01-2021, 06:18 PM   #71
Recycles dryer sheets

That has happened to Colorado big time!
Rocky mtn high is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 06:54 PM   #72
Recycles dryer sheets

I wish to go up into the mountains somewhere in the northeast, closer to nature, lots of land, nice view, privacy, far away from the incessant noise and annoying people.
Old 06-01-2021, 06:57 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
Always wonder: If you can pass a "Proposition" (like 13) can you undo it with another proposition - or maybe even a super majority in the legislature? Locally, kupuna (elders - stretched to "retired" if you like) have lots of advantages tax wise. Most pensions plus SS are not state taxed (at the up to 10%+ levels of those w*rking). Property taxes are lowered by exemptions and HI already has the lowest property taxes/real value in the nation. BUT, every few years, the legislature makes noises about changing all this to something more "fair" - whatever that is. SO, just wondering how iron clad Prop 13 is. Folks here seem to think it's inviolate and set in stone, but I always wondered since YMMV.
I lived in the San Francisco Bay Area for 40 years. I think I voted for the original Prop 13 and I certainly benefitted from it all those years. Yes, you can repeal it with another proposition. It has been proposed many times. Often the proposals are to remove prop 13 protection from businesses and keep it for homeowners. I moved to Thailand 4 years ago but if I was still in CA I would vote to keep it.
Old 06-01-2021, 07:50 PM   #74
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cheap2eat View Post
You forgot the dramatic rise in housing prices

Part of challenge of moving is all your friends and networks you built are left behind too. I can’t imagine moving and re-starting to build long-term friendships, unless it’s a Caribbean island!
Agree. And that's why any move for us would probably be to Texas or Arizona, where we have lived before and still have connections.
Montecfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 07:59 PM   #75
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Help me out here.

d) Europe

Stay in California and go on long vacations. The best of everything.
JJpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 08:13 PM   #76
Confused about dryer sheets

We both lived in CO since we were little. Retired 2 yrs ago, bought a nice motorhome and traveled to new places. Coming home through Tucson, we fell in love with a beautiful 55+ community in Sahuarita and in 3 days we were building a home. So many nice people and endless things to do. Traveling in motorhome now to visit CO friends and family. We took a chance and don't regret it. Our home has appreciated about 30% in year and a half. We have great friends in both places. Quite an adventure for us.
janniemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 08:17 PM   #77
Dryer sheet aficionado

Consider paradise here in the Bay of Banderas, we are just north 1/2 hr from the Puerto Vallarta airport. Mountains, Ocean, Fishing, Sailing, Golf, Tennis, Pickle Ball, you name it and great restaurants, cafes and live music. We have been here 15 years and still pinch ourselves. Easy drive to CA when we want to visit family and friends or a quick flight.

Quote:
Help me out here.

d) Europe

HunterAdvisor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 09:41 PM   #78
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJpop View Post
Stay in California and go on long vacations. The best of everything.
+1

JJ you make too much sense. You may soon be on my list of dangerous radicals who infest this site.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 09:44 PM   #79
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
+1

JJ you make too much sense. You may soon be on my list of dangerous radicals who infest this site.
There are 8 million stories in the FIRE community. THIS has been ONE of them.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 09:45 PM   #80
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
I am waiting for our Texas tourism adviser to chime in!!!!
I think he has been studying the tactics of Emmet Watson. This old curmudgeon was the found of Lesser Seattle. Alas, he failed. Perhaps others can learn from his mistakes.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote