Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-03-2021, 11:54 AM   #101
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueskyk View Post
+1
We should consider Walden Pond...
We have friends that have their forever home less than a mile from Squalm Lake, the setting of On Golden Pond. Close enough?
EastWest Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2021, 12:16 PM   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ablatus View Post
I was going back and forth about selling my house in Palm Springs and using the net proceeds to pay cash for a place and not have a house payment. But, prop 13 and humidity kept coming up in my thought process. With inflation in our future, (yes, the same 1979's inflation when we were seeing retirees across the country loosing their houses due to rising, run away real estate taxes) prop 13 is a Godsend. I have the same list of places as you. I have found I am able, and in the past 7 retirement years, content to travel to NYC, DC, SF, Portland, Phoenix, San Diego, LA and the California beaches, since I retired here. A month in Paris for my 60ieth got put on a back-burner due to cOVID. The grass may look greener, but I am ALWAYS glad I stayed in CA.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
Always wonder: If you can pass a "Proposition" (like 13) can you undo it with another proposition - or maybe even a super majority in the legislature? Locally, kupuna (elders - stretched to "retired" if you like) have lots of advantages tax wise. Most pensions plus SS are not state taxed (at the up to 10%+ levels of those w*rking). Property taxes are lowered by exemptions and HI already has the lowest property taxes/real value in the nation. BUT, every few years, the legislature makes noises about changing all this to something more "fair" - whatever that is. SO, just wondering how iron clad Prop 13 is. Folks here seem to think it's inviolate and set in stone, but I always wondered since YMMV.
That just happened (partially) with the passage of Prop 19. So, the chipping away of Prop 13 benefits continues.

https://www.boe.ca.gov/prop19/Propos...ary-1-2021.pdf
Huston55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 12:19 PM   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaTom View Post
Lived in the Bay Area for 35 years. Great place to live but we had our fill..plus people density was getting insane... and that was 10 years ago.

Moved to the Big Island after FIRE and much consideration. Housing was a wash from CA levels and other expenses seem on par. Gas is higher but you don't go terribly far before hitting water. Biggest challenges for a CA transplant are understanding fine dining and A-level entertainment isn't on the menu, things just take longer (eg, no 1-day Amazon delivery), shipping costs need to be thought of as a "paradise tax", and you'll likely need to fly to CA from time to time assuming you have roots there.

As others have said, your list is all over so spending extended time in each would be wise. We did that prior to retiring so we were ready to book outta CA.
I'm in NorCal and know lots of older (>70yo) retirees who left Hawaii due to lack of adequate specialty medical care, especially islands outside Oahu but, even there as well.
Huston55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 08:42 AM   #104
Recycles dryer sheets

This near-native Californian (lived there since age 5) and his 7th-generation Californio wife just sold our home in Riverside county and moved to Indiana to be near our only child.

It is different here.

I do not think you can beat the California of the last 100 years, on balance, for environment, education, healthcare, opportunity, weather, variety, vacation opportunity, and a lot of other things. BUT that earthquake is coming sometime, and that could upset life pretty radically for people who are of advanced age or lesser ability. I think fire is going to be a bigger problem for a while too, and water always is.
isisdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 08:44 AM   #105
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by isisdave View Post
This near-native Californian (lived there since age 5) and his 7th-generation Californio wife just sold our home in Riverside county and moved to Indiana to be near our only child.

It is different here.

I do not think you can beat the California of the last 100 years, on balance, for environment, education, healthcare, opportunity, weather, variety, vacation opportunity, and a lot of other things. BUT that earthquake is coming sometime, and that could upset life pretty radically for people who are of advanced age or lesser ability. I think fire is going to be a bigger problem for a while too, and water always is.
The one part on living in FL is you can prepare for the incoming hurricane. No way one can prepare for an earthquake.
Nick12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 09:20 AM   #106
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Moved to the Big Island after FIRE and much consideration. Housing was a wash from CA levels and other expenses seem on par. Gas is higher but you don't go terribly far before hitting water. Biggest challenges for a CA transplant are understanding fine dining and A-level entertainment isn't on the menu, things just take longer (eg, no 1-day Amazon delivery), shipping costs need to be thought of as a "paradise tax", and you'll likely need to fly to CA from time to time assuming you have roots there.

As others have said, your list is all over so spending extended time in each would be wise. We did that prior to retiring so we were ready to book outta CA.
The other thing about Hawaii people need to understand is that getting out of it for a while is an big expensive task. (Unless one is fabulously wealthy.) You are stuck there unless you want to spend the big bucks. I can get in my car and be in 5 other states with an at most an 8 hour drive. I can be in another country with a two hour drive. Hawaii requires a plane to do the same, and air travel isn't cheap, and requires more planning and paperwork.

For those who consider it 'paradise' - Great! I've visited several times and enjoyed myself immensely. But, living there would be like being exiled. Not for me.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 09:35 AM   #107
Give me a forum ...

We're traveling to.National Parks this week in AZ and UT based out of Las.Vegas.

And we find hotel prices to be abnormally expensive. Locally owned and franchised fast food restaurants are double the prices of comparable operations "back home". Feeding 9 & 13 year olds is tough on the pocketbook.

The area has spectacular scenery, but retiree income goes so much farther in the Southeast. We will stick to our lake living and RV in the Blue Ridge Mountains of NE Georgia.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 09:38 AM   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
We're traveling to.National Parks this week in AZ and UT based out of Las.Vegas.

And we find hotel prices to be abnormally expensive. Locally owned and franchised fast food restaurants are double the prices of comparable operations "back home". Feeding 9 & 13 year olds is tough on the pocketbook.

The area has spectacular scenery, but retiree income goes so much farther in the Southeast. We will stick to our lake living and RV in the Blue Ridge Mountains of NE Georgia.
We're going to be in AZ and UT this week too! I'm going to be in Huntsville July 1 touring UAH with my son. Let me know if you have any restaurant recommendations etc. Thx!
Old 06-05-2021, 05:19 PM   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
The other thing about Hawaii people need to understand is that getting out of it for a while is an big expensive task. (Unless one is fabulously wealthy.) You are stuck there unless you want to spend the big bucks. I can get in my car and be in 5 other states with an at most an 8 hour drive. I can be in another country with a two hour drive. Hawaii requires a plane to do the same, and air travel isn't cheap, and requires more planning and paperwork.

For those who consider it 'paradise' - Great! I've visited several times and enjoyed myself immensely. But, living there would be like being exiled. Not for me.
Yes, nice place to visit. But I will stick to mainland for year around living.
Old 06-05-2021, 05:22 PM   #110
Recycles dryer sheets

Curious--what about Albuquerque?
I've never visited but the weather looks great, its affordable & we are looking for a city.
Librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 05:33 PM   #111
Give me a forum ...

Where I met DW. Kansas City. She left 'The Farm' and I didn't move back after Katrina.

Yes dear is just' ducky.' Growing up near Mt St. Helens in the PacNW I'm working on becoming a Flatlander.

Heh heh heh - Plus freeways go to all points of the compass. NSEW.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 05:35 PM   #112
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick View Post
Where I met DW. Kansas City. She left 'The Farm' and I didn't move back after Katrina.

Yes dear is just' ducky.' Growing up near Mt St. Helens in the PacNW I'm working on becoming a Flatlander.

Heh heh heh - Plus freeways go to all points of the compass. NSEW.
I love KC--cousins live there & used to visit every summer. So much to do & see.
But weather is the same as Lincoln & I'm over humidity & cold!
Librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 05:56 PM   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarian View Post
I've never visited but the weather looks great, its affordable & we are looking for a city.
Yes, good suggestion. Lots of warm dry weather in Albuquerque, but not so hot, I think, as it can get in southern Arizona like around Tuscon and Oro Valley.

Plus scenic mountains to look at, and I believe even a ski area (or at least a tram ride) up on that mountain.

Travelled through there twice on two different trips, and both times had thoughts of this would not be a bad place to live. One trip we visited a national park (maybe it was national monument) right on west edge of town, with lots of petroglyphs. And I think one of the Amtrak routes travels through Albuquerque as well. As I seem to recall, New Mexico is not bad for state tax environment compared to some states.

Found this site for some comparative info about Albuquerque (as well as other locales): https://www.salary.com/research/cost...albuquerque-nm

And there is always the annual hot air balloon festival!
Old 06-05-2021, 06:31 PM   #114
gone traveling

Quote:
May want to look further into it. Drug related crime is high in the city.
Nick12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 07:16 PM   #115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huston55 View Post
That just happened (partially) with the passage of Prop 19. So, the chipping away of Prop 13 benefits continues.

https://www.boe.ca.gov/prop19/Propos...ary-1-2021.pdf
Various props extended prop 13 to allow generational transfers and inter county transfers (props 60, 90, 193, etc.)

You could argue prop 19 extended prop 13... Now you can transfer to a more expensive property (new rates will be blended of old value (transfer) and new value (the delta.)).

Not sure it's being 'chipped away'. Although as someone who bought from my father while he was still alive, and got the rate - that has been curtailed. But now we can transfer 3 times... which is an extension from a one-and-done previous rule.
Old 06-05-2021, 07:26 PM   #116
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick12 View Post
May want to look further into it. Drug related crime is high in the city.
I watched a good documentary about that a while back. I think it was called ‘Breaking Bad’.
Old 06-06-2021, 06:43 PM   #117

Cleveland!

ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 07:28 PM   #118
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huston55 View Post
I'm in NorCal and know lots of older (>70yo) retirees who left Hawaii due to lack of adequate specialty medical care, especially islands outside Oahu but, even there as well.
As a resident 70+ year old man, I have not seen that at least on Oahu. I've required quite a bit of specialty care - especially since turning 70. Of course, the outer islands are known for needing a trip to Oahu for certain procedures. YMMV as usual.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 08:20 PM   #119
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post

Lots of folks agree with you. Most malihini last a few months to a couple of years. Next door apt. has had 4 tenants that have returned to the mainland in the past 10 years. We had a retired lt. col. and then a lady whose daughter became a beauty queen here. Never even got to know the other two before they left (no, it wasn't us!)

I think what was most interesting is that the col. bought all new stuff for the apt. and then sold it all to the lady with the daughter. She sold all the stuff with DWs help. I think she cleared 20% of what the col. originally paid. One other couple brought all their worldly possessions with them and then took them all back home a few months later. We were honestly sad for all these folks. Their lives turned out very differently than their dreams.

Regarding getting off "the rock" I'm still waiting for the bridge to be completed. Until then, I BTD and buy the airline ticket. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 09:28 PM   #120
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
My parents lived in southern NM (Alamogordo/Cloudcroft) for many years and I lived in ABQ for about 6 months in the 1990's. The city is bigger now but some things don't change. Crime and drug use in certain neighborhoods has always been high there, but no worse than where I currently live in NorCal. NM as a whole has a distinct culture that is apart from the rest of the US with heavy Mexican and Native American influences. Unlike Santa Fe, ABQ has always been working class and unpretentious.

We are planning to stay in NorCal and hopefully Hawaii, but if we needed to move some place more affordable, ABQ is my top choice. The weather is really good. It's not as hot as AZ in the summer (mainly in the 90's with only the occasional day above 100 and as my mother would always say "It's a dry heat" ). In the winter, it's usually pleasant with daytime temps in the 50-70 degree range with the occasional snowfall that melts within a couple of days. The main thing is that the desert is not for everyone. People who aren't from the Southwest tend to miss greenery and not appreciate its beauty. Before my parents decided to move there (from the East Coast), they rented a car and just drove around the state for 2 weeks. I'd recommend doing the same.
meridiver is offline   Reply With Quote