Join Early Retirement Today

I heard some bad news today....
Old 06-04-2019, 07:20 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

I heard some bad news today....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugeauxgirl View Post
Well this is NOT the best time of year to be visiting. The heat index was over 100 today in south Alabama. Give me a call in the fall and we'll watch some college football and I'll make you some blackeyed peas.

Sounds like it is a little warm down there. Thanks for football/ black eyed peas offer!

I had DW check the local grocery store - no black eyed peas. But she waitressed at a local restaurant in the 70ís where customers brought their own on New Years Eve.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2019, 07:50 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
ďAs he passed around the blackeyed peasĒ. Come to think of it - I donít think that Iíve ever had blackeyed peas. I need to find some.
Take it from a Yankee living in the south....they taste like dirt.
Old 06-04-2019, 08:25 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Gasp- the horror! Next you'll be saying you don't like grits! (Actually I understand Yankees not liking grits) be careful where you say that- you might get deported back above the Mason-Dixon line...
Old 06-04-2019, 08:38 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Gasp- the horror! Next you'll be saying you don't like grits! (Actually I understand Yankees not liking grits) be careful where you say that- you might get deported back above the Mason-Dixon line...
OK, I'll say it here....I don't like grits either.

My DW (St. Louis native), who I met and married while in Texas, likes both black eyed peas and grits. But she has lived here since the 1970's, so she is almost a native Texan. Me, not so much.
Old 06-04-2019, 08:57 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Take it from a Yankee living in the south....they taste like dirt.
I have to admit, poorly cooked blackeyed peas DO taste like dirt. I avoid them at certain restaurants. My grandmother made wonderful peas- I make pretty good ones too. The secret is bacon of course...
Old 06-04-2019, 08:59 PM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The secret is bacon of course...
Yep.

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 09:56 PM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Don't call it grits. Call it polenta.

And I serve polenta with braised lamb shank.

I also grill polenta to make hors d'oeuvre, topped with prosciutto.
Old 06-04-2019, 11:57 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
WHAT?

Maybe it's a southern thing, but everyone around here (well the natives anyway) eat black-eyed peas each New Years day. (For good luck)
Once a year would be all I could take of them, turns out I don't like them.
But based on our Southern Members, probably the way they were cooked was the issue.

I tried grits once when in the South. From then on, I had fried eggs for breakfast
Old 06-05-2019, 04:02 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I also grill polenta to make hors d'oeuvre, topped with prosciutto.

It does help to chill the polenta (grits) in the refrigerator for a few hours so It can be sliced first. Grits straight from the pot to the grill would be a little messy. A fried slice left over from the day before is also good in the morning with a couple of eggs.

NO sugar on grits! Everyone will know that "you ain't from around here are ya?"

Cheers!
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 07:51 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

I make it denser with less water. Then, it's ready when cooled down.

Here's a typical presentation from the Web.

Old 06-05-2019, 09:48 AM   #31

YUM--
black eyed peas cooked in the slow cooker all day with a smoked ham hock, onions, carrots and celery, along with a side of greens cooked with bacon!!
Cheesy grits and fried egg--best breakfast ever.
As for cholesterol and sodium content, well, forget that, just enjoy! And go for a long walk afterwards.
Old 06-05-2019, 10:24 AM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

My father, who has been dead for almost 40 years, grew up in Springfield, Missouri. He loved black-eyed peas and navy beans, not to mention other strange foods and nearly any kind of beans.

I grew up in more urban and cosmopolitan surroundings. This probably explains why I have always disliked black-eyed peas and navy beans, either of which frequently appeared on my plate but which to me seemed pretty weird. But I must admit that other kinds of beans are not that bad.
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 05:21 PM   #33

We always had field peas instead (cream cowpea)

Slightly nutty flavor, at least to me.

Served with collard greens & fried cornbread.

“The cowpea, rightly handled, is both a bank and mortgage-lifter to the poor man”

http://georgia.growingamerica.com/fe...eas-love-sotry
ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 02:25 AM   #34

I've never had black eyed peas, never saw them on a menu despite all my travels, but I do love my grits. I never had them until DW introduced them to this Yankee 38 years ago, with plenty of butter. Occasionally I'll have some with crumbled bacon mixed in but, even dirt tastes good with bacon!
Winemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 04:15 AM   #35

My first thought was this one:

Old 06-06-2019, 05:33 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckelly78z View Post
"Wheres The Confounded Bridge".....Led Zeppelin.
Ah, "The Crunge", one of my favorites. This is a play and homage on James Brown, both in the guitar riff, and that famous ending line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
ďAs he passed around the blackeyed peasĒ. Come to think of it - I donít think that Iíve ever had blackeyed peas. I need to find some.
See Hoppin' John for some good recipes. When megacorp moved me to the south, they still employed their own cafeteria people. We had black eyed peas as an option every day, usually in the form of Hoppin' John.

Alas, the cafe was outsourced and the good, authentic southern food was a casualty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRDave View Post
All the production and takes for the original recording were for the accompanying strings. The guitar and vocals were from Bobbie Gentry's original demo tape.
I've heard other performances from that era and she nails it every time. It is always a bit different, but always good. No auto tune crap back then. Her voice is great, but the tiny flaws that do get through make the song so authentic.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 06:45 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker View Post
I've never had black eyed peas, never saw them on a menu despite all my travels, but I do love my grits. I never had them until DW introduced them to this Yankee 38 years ago, with plenty of butter. Occasionally I'll have some with crumbled bacon mixed in but, even dirt tastes good with bacon!
It's not really "restaurant food" unless you go to a southern themed restaurant.

I have heard (though I'm not sure it's true) that peas were animal food up until the civil war when that's all there was left to eat. (Hence the name "Cow peas") That's how they ended up being southern "peasant food"
Old 06-06-2019, 07:18 AM   #38

Well, I gotta ask. Sounds like there's been research (and speculation) on the song, anyone care to reveal any theories as to exactly WHAT they were throwing off the bridge? And for WIW this is one of those songs that takes me back to exactly that time of my life, summer I met my now DW. I have this strange memory quirk that as time goes on, hearing a song (well one that has not been over played) will immediately take me back to the first time i heard it. I'll remark about such a recollection and DW will go "REALLY?" This song takes me back to a donut shop at a shopping center called RanchMart in Prairie Village KS, name is lost and I'm sure it's long gone. Minds (well my mind) is/are strange.
H2ODude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 07:50 AM   #39

The Tallahachee River is somewhat coinfusing. Is the bridge in Sumner County,.Mississippi where there are two.county seats or is the bridge in Sumner.Counnty? Or,.is.the bridge over in New.Albany (northwest of.Tupelo) where there is another Tallahachee River

No matter.where the bridge is Bobbie Gentry wrote.a.great.song.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 08:18 AM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
The Tallahachee River is somewhat coinfusing. Is the bridge in Sumner County,.Mississippi where there are two.county seats or is the bridge in Sumner.Counnty? Or,.is.the bridge over in New.Albany (northwest of.Tupelo) where there is another Tallahachee River

No matter.where the bridge is Bobbie Gentry wrote.a.great.song.

According to Wikipedia, the bridge is in Money, Ms, about 10 miles north of greenwood. Looks to be in Leflore County. Brdge collapsed in 1972 after being burned by vandals and has been rebuilt.

Coordinates : 33.6504,-90.2111
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote