I Quit.

Talking with my colleagues about my retirement plans has helped to clarify my thinking a little. I've decided, temporarily at least, to narrow my candidates for relocation spot to either Chattanooga or Knoxville, TN.

Last edited:
I rejected a retirement luncheon
I go to retirement lunches all the time.
Went with my neighbor to a new restaurant (https://www.postoakdenver.com) just 2 blocks from our houses.
As someone who is 87.3% retired, I love these.
Good food, beer (more than one, for sure), great conversation and then--a nap.
I recommend retirement lunches.

Congratulations on doing it your way.

Update. Last day was today. Whew. I'm tired. Emotionally exhausted. Well-fed. Sad. Grateful for the people I worked with.

I asked them not to throw a retirement party, which would normally happen. I'm introverted (I know most of you are, too), and so a big gathering of people is uncomfortable for me -- especially when I'm the center of attention. I can do that in a speaking situation, like a lecture, but if it's something like this, where it's all about me ... no thanks. Instead, me and 5 of the people I work closest with went out for lunch. That was nice. Lots of good conversation, a gift card, and a couple of greeting cards.

I'm emotionally worn out because I've been having a lot of really personal conversations with people I've been working with. I did a lot of that one-on-one in the past couple of days, and it's been draining for an introvert like me.

Well, it's over. Walking out the door that last time was weird, but not as weird as I expected. I've been anticipating this day for years.

Congratulations and enjoy your next phase! You’ve prepared well and i hope you love it as much as most of us do!

Congratulations ER Eddie! Today really is the first day of the rest of your life. Just think of how many automatic blissful moments you are going to have when it hits you, "I don't have to get ready for work tomorrow."

First one comes tomorrow, Sunday. For me they hit, and still do, around 3 pm. I wonder what time of day that thought will occur to you?

Thanks, folks! I'm tired today and just taking it easy, because the last few days have been emotionally draining. But once I recover my energy, I'll get back at it.

The best thing about it is the freedom, definitely. I'm a libertarian at heart, someone who has always loved going his own way and being independent, so I love that part of it. What happens now is completely up to me (well, within limits, lol). I can focus my energies on things that I care about, rather than on things I "have to" focus on.

It's been nice to have been a part of this forum, btw -- so much good advice and good discussion through the years. It has really helped put me in a very good place.

Not to say there won't be challenges. I'm going to have to build a bigger social circle, figure out where to live, keep myself disciplined, avoid too much time-wasters, and figure out what sort of "meaningful work" I want to do (later down the road, that is; I'm not touching the idea of "work" in any form for at least a year). But I'm confident that I'll handle it. I'm looking forward to it. I think it will be an adventure.

But no adventure today. Today we nap. :)

Congrats to you! I hope your retirement is all you want it to be.

Congrats on the beginning of the next phase of your life. It must be exciting to have all of this starting to sink in now.

I sure hope I can make a similar exit when it’s my time. I think being able to leave on your own terms is a blessing.

Take care and enjoy yourself. Let us working stiffs know what life is like on the other side! :LOL:

Congrats on the beginning of the next phase of your life. It must be exciting to have all of this starting to sink in now.

I sure hope I can make a similar exit when it’s my time. I think being able to leave on your own terms is a blessing.

Take care and enjoy yourself. Let us working stiffs know what life is like on the other side! :LOL:

Thank you, sir, and good luck on your journey as well. This forum can be a great source of support and insight.

And you're right, it is exciting to have it sink in. It was just imagination before, but it's damn real now.

If you have your first reason handled (enough money) you only need one (or maybe none) of the others! Congrats and DO let us know how it goes.

Thanks, folks! I'm tired today and just taking it easy, because the last few days have been emotionally draining. But once I recover my energy, I'll get back at it.

The best thing about it is the freedom, definitely. I'm a libertarian at heart, someone who has always loved going his own way and being independent, so I love that part of it. What happens now is completely up to me (well, within limits, lol). I can focus my energies on things that I care about, rather than on things I "have to" focus on.

It's been nice to have been a part of this forum, btw -- so much good advice and good discussion through the years. It has really helped put me in a very good place.

Not to say there won't be challenges. I'm going to have to build a bigger social circle, figure out where to live, keep myself disciplined, avoid too much time-wasters, and figure out what sort of "meaningful work" I want to do (later down the road, that is; I'm not touching the idea of "work" in any form for at least a year). But I'm confident that I'll handle it. I'm looking forward to it. I think it will be an adventure.

But no adventure today. Today we nap. :)

You used the "w" word twice.... two bucks in the jar. :police:

I do hope you didn't try going in today....

Congratulations.... ( I'm in year four)

If you have your first reason handled (enough money) you only need one (or maybe none) of the others! Congrats and DO let us know how it goes.

So far so good. My sadness and fatigue faded after a day. I expected that the "grief" of leaving the job would hang around longer, but it didn't. That faded pretty quickly. Maybe it'll return later, I don't know.

For now, I'm feeling optimistic and relaxed. I'm taking care of some chores and getting on with my plans. I'm glad I spent so much time preparing and thinking things through; it definitely helped make the transition smooth.

I'm wondering what I'll do with all my work clothes. I suppose the right thing to do is donate them to the Salvation Army. However, a part of me would like to burn them in a ceremony in my backyard. I could dress a dummy in my work clothes and burn my 'work self' in effigy.

Last edited:
So far so good. My sadness and fatigue faded after a day. I expected that the "grief" of leaving the job would hang around longer, but it didn't. That faded pretty quickly. Maybe it'll return later, I don't know.

For now, I'm feeling optimistic and relaxed. I'm taking care of some chores and getting on with my plans. I'm glad I spent so much time preparing and thinking things through; it definitely helped make the transition smooth.

I'm wondering what I'll do with all my work clothes. I suppose the right thing to do is donate them to the Salvation Army. However, a part of me would like to burn them in a ceremony in my backyard. I could dress a dummy in my work clothes and burn my 'work self' in effigy.

Save a suit for weddings and funerals. Get rid of the rest. They’ll be out of date soon enough

Congrats and sorry about your friend. I know how hard that can be and how hard it can be to explain to folks that aren't animal lovers.

I have many of the same feelings as you. Every work day is a drain for me even though I work at (supposedly) one of the greatest tech companies in the world. Gotta keep building that net worth, so I can feel comfortable pulling the plug, as my wife doesn't want to work (she is a CPA/MST) and we have two middle school children.

Enjoy the much deserved FIRE!!!

Congratulations!

Update. Last day was today. Whew. I'm tired. Emotionally exhausted. Well-fed. Sad. Grateful for the people I worked with.

I asked them not to throw a retirement party, which would normally happen. I'm introverted (I know most of you are, too), and so a big gathering of people is uncomfortable for me -- especially when I'm the center of attention. I can do that in a speaking situation, like a lecture, but if it's something like this, where it's all about me ... no thanks. Instead, me and 5 of the people I work closest with went out for lunch. That was nice. Lots of good conversation, a gift card, and a couple of greeting cards.

I'm emotionally worn out because I've been having a lot of really personal conversations with people I've been working with. I did a lot of that one-on-one in the past couple of days, and it's been draining for an introvert like me.

Well, it's over. Walking out the door that last time was weird, but not as weird as I expected. I've been anticipating this day for years.

I retired June 2nd, and it still feels strange. But I'm enjoying just doing whatever I want whenever I want to do it :)

See if there is a local charity that provides business clothes to people for interviews or jobs. If there is something, you know the clothes will actually get used by people who need them to get back on solid footing.

And congrats on your freedom!

See if there is a local charity that provides business clothes to people for interviews or jobs. If there is something, you know the clothes will actually get used by people who need them to get back on solid footing.

And congrats on your freedom!

Hm. That's a good idea. I live in a small town, so I'm not sure there's a charity around here that does that, but I can look into it. Probably better than burning a figure in effigy. My neighbors might not get it, lol.

And thank you. :)

I retired June 2nd, and it still feels strange. But I'm enjoying just doing whatever I want whenever I want to do it :)

Congrats to you, too, Cindy. The freedom is wonderful.

Last edited:
Congratulations! Like you I was mentally, physically, spiritually fried from my j*b. There was nothing left, which is why l left.

Now, six months into my retirement, I’ve never felt better. You will love it...

Back
Top Bottom