Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-03-2019, 12:35 PM   #41
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
My neighborhood is fairly young. When I moved into my building, there were no women living in it, and only one straight man other than me. As prices have increased and the economy improved, prices in my building have more than doubled. There are women now, but only married women. The gay face of the building has also disappeared. New purchasers tend to be youngish heterosexual couples. These units are pretty small for couples, but it is such a handy, central place that people will give up some amenities to achieve walking distance to work, university and many entertainment possibilities.

I am so glad that I bought here, and I will stay forever if I can. I have nothing against old people, I am one of them. But there are benefits to living around young people, at least from my POV.

Ha
I am so glad! I remember when you were looking for a place to buy at a reasonable price, not an easy task anywhere much less in your location. It's wonderful that you found a place to buy, bought it, and want to stay there forever.
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-03-2019, 12:58 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Our neighborhood is a mix of young and old. Because we only have 1 car garages you see your neighbors outside and get to know them. Most use them for storage. It’s one of the friendliest places I have lived. I could see visiting TV but no way would I live somewhere where people are so conservative [mod edit].
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 04:52 PM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

DW and I recently moved into our lake house, an old fishing cottage that we turned into a year-round livable place. For a few weeks in the summer there are lots of young folks around, as a vacation spot. From Labor Day to late June, it's pretty much an old people's place. Lake life ain't cheap, and there aren't many jobs around to support young growing families. Also not much in the way to entertain them once the lake water and air temps are too cold for water sports. Nobody beats me up about it, but it's remarkable to me how often I hear negativity towards The Villages because it's full of old people.
HadEnuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 05:50 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by HadEnuff View Post
As I recall the Klingons could be a pretty unloving lot. I have seen nothing in TV to suggest that the 97% would be unwelcoming to the 3%.

2 Jem'Hadar walks in to a bar full of Klingons singing victory songs .... I think I remember similar scenarios like it in multiple episodes.
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 06:03 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I love living in a neighborhood that is mostly older people. This is not due to being an over 55 community, but due to the natural demographics of our neighborhood. Most of our neighbors are in their late 70's, 80's, or older because most of the homes have not been sold since they were first built around 1965. When one of the owners dies or goes off to a CCRC, either their children (in their 50's or 60's) move in, or else they sell it to someone who is usually older too, like me.

One of the advantages to living around older people, is that it makes me feel young by comparison. Also I like older people and their values, they don't have wild parties, and they have gardeners who mow regularly so their front yards look well kept up. I don't need to tell them to get off my lawn because they aren't on it. They mind their own business.

When I see a woman with a walker going up and down the sidewalk in front of her house, it makes me want to cheer! She's doing her best to fight back Father Time and get healthier. And let's face it, older guys often use canes just because they are attractive, good for self defense, and make them seem interesting, not because they are totally necessary. If I see an old guy or woman with a walker or cane, I think about the stories about old New Orleans that he or she could tell if I could get them talking! They are priceless assets to our community.

By avoiding over-55 neighborhoods, I think one is excluding what could probably be some of the very best, most peaceful neighborhoods around.

DW & I are 57. We wouldn't mind living in a place like above. But I wonder what the cane totting neighbors would do when I blast my stereo while working in my garage. I have pool table cue sticks which I converted into hiking poles. En garde!
Old 03-03-2019, 06:14 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnplunder View Post
2 Jem'Hadar walks in to a bar full of Klingons singing victory songs .... I think I remember similar scenarios like it in multiple episodes.
Old 03-06-2019, 09:28 AM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I am so glad! I remember when you were looking for a place to buy at a reasonable price, not an easy task anywhere much less in your location. It's wonderful that you found a place to buy, bought it, and want to stay there forever.
Thanks for your comments and memories W2R. Back then the conditions for a buyer were getting better almost every day, which sure made looking for a place to live a lot less stressful.

I am quite glad this worked for me. I am relieved that I do not have to pay today's rents around here!

Ha
Old 03-06-2019, 09:50 AM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I am so glad that I bought here, and I will stay forever if I can. I have nothing against old people, I am one of them. But there are benefits to living around young people, at least from my POV.

Ha

+1

I like a mixture of ages. It makes the neighborhood seem more real. It's hard to be a stereotyped older person when there are some children, young couples, singles of all ages, and, of course, active retired folks on the same block.

Thankfully, I can walk to a few stores, the evil mega-bank, my favorite coffee place, and several wonderful parks.

But, I would not criticize people who want to live in retirement communities. People have different needs and desires.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 10:02 AM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Wikipedia shows a greater amount of diversity that that mentioned in this discussion. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Villages,_Florida
The Villages is one part of Sumter County and, as I recall, it extends into Lake County as well. On the west, TV borders on the Town of Wildwood in Sumter County. Wildwood is not affluent at all and is far more diverse in ethnicity than TV. Just saying, TV does not make up all of Sumter County.
Old 03-06-2019, 10:45 AM   #50
Full time employment: Posting here.

Hey, Rayinpenn, give us an update on TV when you get back. We're very interested in what it's like. We might do a visit next year. My wife is still working, and traveling a lot this year for work, so I don't think we can make it there this year.
Masquernom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 11:12 AM   #51
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I am quite glad this worked for me. I am relieved that I do not have to pay today's rents around here!
I feel the same way; rents seem awfully high here, too, lately. According to Zillow, rent for my present home for a year would be 9.5% of what I paid for it (in cash), in the summer of 2015. Wow.
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 11:27 AM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Rent here have skyrocketed and would be 1600. Our taxes are cheap so our house costs us very little.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 11:41 AM   #53

I've stayed in the villages the past 3 of the 4 years during "on season". Somewhere floating around the internet is a guide on "Everything you need to know about owning in the villages".

There are multiple villages, all with a different "vibe". I can agree with lack of diversity, not sure if that is every ER community or just the villages as I've only been to Sun City and Villages.

As for STDs, naa, but don't get me wrong there are lots of opportunities. And this can happen at any age.

If you buy, know that this is a developer owned community, you are at the mercy of there rules and bylaws. Plus, they are constantly adding on, so what was "hot" in 2018 is "not" in 2019. The goal I heard at one time was to develop this thing all the way down to Orlando.
Old 03-06-2019, 11:46 AM   #54

In terms of peace, I swear the traffic is never ending during "on-season". Golf Carts, cars, work trucks. The grounds are constantly being maintained. Good and bad. It's funny, I visit villages with FIL, and they always joke about "the older guys". If you want "old" go to Sarasota. I feel like The villages is for those that are still a bit active...especially those that like golf, and pickle-ball.
Old 03-06-2019, 11:59 AM   #55

I researched and rejected it for my RE choice. But for those who are of specific ethnicity, political view, and life style, I admit the place could be near heaven for them. And despite its house/rent price having premium vs its competition, it's dirt cheap from where I live now.
Old 03-06-2019, 01:00 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

If you don’t socialize with your neighbors I suspect older or 55+ neighborhoods might be a good choice. But if you do want to be involved in community activities, for us a mixed neighborhood is preferable. I’ve hung out with regular groups of seniors before and it can get old fast for me fast if they’re 1) complaining about health issues, 2) complaining about younger generations, 3) complaining about technology, 4) daily updates on grandkids, 5) arguing politics, the same issues over and over (without much underlying knowledge). A little of that is fine, daily isn’t my cup of tea. IME 55+ communities don’t start out that way when they form, but in time some devolve into a complaining society. Different strokes. YMMV

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 01:13 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgtest View Post
In terms of peace, I swear the traffic is never ending during "on-season". Golf Carts, cars, work trucks. The grounds are constantly being maintained. Good and bad. It's funny, I visit villages with FIL, and they always joke about "the older guys". If you want "old" go to Sarasota. I feel like The villages is for those that are still a bit active...especially those that like golf, and pickle-ball.
Someone mentioned the book "Leisureville" which was written about TV and other 55+ communities. It was first printed over 10 years ago. My Dad was still alive when I was reading it, and it hit me pretty hard as I read it and reflected on my Dad's retirement that, assuming you live long enough, you might break down retirement into 3 stages:

Stage1: still active and able to travel, play sports,etc.
Stage2. still healthy, but not able to do as much, and maybe seriously compromised as far as physical activity

Stage3, failing physically, and/or mentally, and not able to do much at all but sit around, lie around, and needing some degree of care, until you need full care, or pass away.

TV is all about Stage 1....that's what they market, and that's what is attractive to relatively young, active retirees. By the time they hit Stage 3, most of them have died or moved on, largely because there is a fairly stiff cost for living here that goes towards keeping the amenities (rec centers, golf, pickle ball, pools, etc) going, and if you are in Stage3 or late Stage 2, most folks don't want to continue to pay for those things they can't use.

Compared to "normal" neighborhoods, it's an older population. Compared to some retirement communities, probably not so much.
Old 03-06-2019, 01:22 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
If you don’t socialize with your neighbors I suspect older or 55+ neighborhoods might be a good choice. But if you do want to be involved in community activities, for us a mixed neighborhood is preferable. I’ve hung out with regular groups of seniors before and it can get old fast for me fast if they’re 1) complaining about health issues, 2) complaining about younger generations, 3) complaining about technology, 4) daily updates on grandkids, 5) arguing politics, the same issues over and over (without much underlying knowledge). A little of that is fine, daily isn’t my cup of tea. IME 55+ communities don’t start out that way when they form, but in time some devolve into a complaining society. Different strokes. YMMV
Complainers are not exclusive to 55+ communities. It doesn't take long to find the folks you enjoy, and the ones you don't.

the other morning 4 of us had golf tee times..I drove my cart to my buddy's house and we rode on out to the course. It was a beautiful morning and reminded me of those days when we were young, it was summer vacation, no adults around to tell us what to do, and we could just goof off all day, which we did.

Only with naps.
Old 03-06-2019, 01:28 PM   #59
Full time employment: Posting here.

Looks like there are plenty of rentals available in TV. I'd think a good way to evaluate would be to sell your existing home and rent in TV for a few months. Could check out TV and other areas around Florida, if that's your destination of choice.
Masquernom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 02:00 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masquernom View Post
Looks like there are plenty of rentals available in TV. I'd think a good way to evaluate would be to sell your existing home and rent in TV for a few months. Could check out TV and other areas around Florida, if that's your destination of choice.
+1
I can't stress enough how important a long term stay somewhere before you move there is. Heck, stay there for 2 months one year, 2 months the next, and then see if its right for you. You might get that honeymoon feeling after the first years visit, but reality tends to set in after.