Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-05-2019, 12:21 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Congratulations! [emoji322] Very exciting, and I imagine you will be more than ready to fly the coop once your notice period ends.
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-05-2019, 05:26 AM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

Congratulations! [emoji323][emoji322][emoji898]
Old 02-05-2019, 07:04 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyBlue View Post
Wow...this question really has me thinking...

It is an important question, and has been stated on here many times, you may have a job to retire from, but you need something to retire to.

My suggestion is take some time first to unwind and get used to being retired and not working. Review your finances and become comfortable with your new position with regard to where money is coming from and where it goes. Then figure out what you want to spend time on, it can be hobbies, exercising, traveling, volunteering, or whatever. It might even include some part time work, not because you have to but because you want to. The best part is you are now in control of your time. Do what makes you happy. Enjoy the freedom.

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 07:38 AM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Wow...this question really has me thinking...
Do note that there could be some days where you actually do nothing for whatever reason and that is fine too. No guilt here when that happens.
Old 02-05-2019, 07:41 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38Chevy454 View Post
It is an important question, and has been stated on here many times, you may have a job to retire from, but you need something to retire to.

My suggestion is take some time first to unwind and get used to being retired and not working. Review your finances and become comfortable with your new position with regard to where money is coming from and where it goes. Then figure out what you want to spend time on, it can be hobbies, exercising, traveling, volunteering, or whatever. It might even include some part time work, not because you have to but because you want to. The best part is you are now in control of your time. Do what makes you happy. Enjoy the freedom.
Thanks. I've read a lot here about making the decision to retire "to" vs the decision to retire "from." In my case, I think I'm retiring "from" more than "to" (smile!) My hubby will retire at the same time - this was a major part of my decision, as he is almost ten yours older than me and has never expressed a real interest in retiring until very recently. We are very happy and comfortable being together, and I don't think we will have too much of a problem adjusting to having our time as our own. It's just figuring out what exactly will occupy our time that is a concern. I guess I'll just have to wait and see how it all shakes out (smile!) I am somewhat worried about finances, because we don't have the resources that many people here do, but I did a year of living on exactly what I thought I would have to live on when I retired (opened a separate checking account with just that amount of money and spent only from that account) and it was successful, so I'm just going to have to have faith that we can do it now.
CindyBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 07:44 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
Do note that there could be some days where you actually do nothing for whatever reason and that is fine too. No guilt here when that happens.
I am actually looking forward to a few of those days...maybe more than a few...(grin!)
Old 02-05-2019, 07:51 PM   #27

Quote:
Thanks. I've read a lot here about making the decision to retire "to" vs the decision to retire "from." In my case, I think I'm retiring "from" more than "to" (smile!) My hubby will retire at the same time - this was a major part of my decision, as he is almost ten yours older than me and has never expressed a real interest in retiring until very recently. We are very happy and comfortable being together, and I don't think we will have too much of a problem adjusting to having our time as our own. It's just figuring out what exactly will occupy our time that is a concern. I guess I'll just have to wait and see how it all shakes out (smile!) I am somewhat worried about finances, because we don't have the resources that many people here do, but I did a year of living on exactly what I thought I would have to live on when I retired (opened a separate checking account with just that amount of money and spent only from that account) and it was successful, so I'm just going to have to have faith that we can do it now.

My DH and I also retired on the same day. We love being retired together. I agree with other posters re letting retirement come to you rather than trying to plan out and control everything. Now is your chance to relax and see where retirement takes you and DH. Enjoy!!
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 07:11 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba View Post
My DH and I also retired on the same day. We love being retired together. I agree with other posters re letting retirement come to you rather than trying to plan out and control everything. Now is your chance to relax and see where retirement takes you and DH. Enjoy!!
I know my hubby and I will love being retired together, too. It's going to be lonely to not have to deal with the trials and tribulations of work issues! We will have to take the advice of all you folks who have "been there" ahead of us, and try to relax and just let it happen. Four months to go!