Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-22-2021, 09:04 AM   #21

I bet the DC violence a few weeks earlier increased the TV viewership. Thankfully, the only stuff on TV was what was planned.

Turns out I watched the main speech. I didn't intend to, but we have a TV with Kodi on a Raspberry Pi that DW turned on to watch while doing something else in that room. It offered to update and she said "yes". Then it didn't work because a plug-in needed updating. I got the thing updated just before the main event, so stayed to watch just that.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-22-2021, 09:06 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Two part question: 1) the inauguration, and 2) the news.

Didn't watch the inauguration, have never bothered much with any of them. I think our Government "of the People" should have less Pomp & Circumstance. You're in office, now get sworn in and get to work (for the People)!

I watch less and less news, as the quality has declined from poor to just awful/dangerous over the years. I tell people, if they hear something on the news that is going to have an effect on them, ignore it until/unless you are going to take the time to search out the source information, and then see if you can come to a conclusion from that. I think most people would be shocked at how the "news" is manipulating information. In many cases it's not hard - go to C-Span, or sometimes youtube and find original unedited video of an event, and then see how the media has clipped, taken out of context, and just outright lied about what was said. It's sickening. And there is also the cherry-picking of what is and what is not reported.

So no, I watch very little news, and suggest that you do some research before accepting anything you hear on the 'news'. And that applies to more than the political arena, anything technical, the environment, etc. Probably everything. And if you don't want to do the research, another option is to just assume they are wrong, you'll probably be better informed that way. It's really that bad.

-ERD50
Old 01-22-2021, 09:12 AM   #23
gone traveling

Glad many enjoyed the Inauguration ceremony.

We've been to two "live" and enjoyed them very much. Had fun at the balls that evening as well.

This was the first Inauguration we have not watched in 40 years......Wednesday morning was my colonoscopy. Lucky me.
Old 01-22-2021, 09:13 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markola View Post
We watched it all and the concert and fireworks, too, which made realize, “Wow, we’re retired!” when friends texted us, “What did we miss?”
Oh we missed the fireworks!

We watched most of the midday stuff. The JCIC stream quality was so excellent we left it on. Got a really nice detailed tour of the Capitol building too.

We’ve watched several inaugurations over the years.
Old 01-22-2021, 09:14 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

I missed the evening activities, so it's nice to be reminded of those, and get to watch on youtube.

Land of Hope and Dreams by Bruce Springsteen
https://youtu.be/fW_Vny_aXNM
Old 01-22-2021, 09:21 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

I am to the point now that I believe very little of what the news says anymore. (all of them) There are a few areas/topics (ok, maybe very few) where I'm pretty much a SME (subject matter expert). "Almost" without fail, when they are reporting on something in one of the areas of my expertise, they almost always get something wrong... Often not just minor mistakes either, but something materially wrong. Was it a mistake on their part or intentional to make it fit their narrative? If they get the few things I know really well wrong, what about everything else?
Old 01-22-2021, 09:28 AM   #27

And one more final mod note:

Another debate on the "media" is not welcome in this thread. It only serves to derail the topic.
Old 01-22-2021, 09:39 AM   #28
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by firewhen View Post
I remember the long college winter recess was not quite over yet. I guess I could have taken off from work in future years, but I never did. When Jan 20 falls on a Sunday they move all the festivities to Monday. 2001 was a Saturday but I dont remember what I did. More importantly, it was so nice to be able to watch this year without worrying about any obligations. Also, throughout all the twists and turns with the election and the aftermath, it has almost become a hobby with me watching all the news and commentary. Timing was good having retired on Sep 30 last year. (Not trying to be political here, 1981 was Ronald Reagan and 2021 Joe Biden and I enjoyed the pageantry of each.) Anyone else turning into a news junkie in their spare/FIRE time?

Same here. It was probably the best year to start watching it since they had everything more focused on making it an online show. The celebrities this year were A-list and I especially enjoyed Lady Gaga singing the National Anthem and the huge fireworks display.
Old 01-22-2021, 05:01 PM   #29
Administrator

Unfortunately, and despite repeated moderator requests, multiple snarky and political posts have led this thread to an unfortunate and premature end of discussion.

Closed Thread