Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-18-2020, 10:00 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Just read another article the other day about how Florida is becoming a haven for "tax refugees". This has been going on for a while with retirees.

Nothing major in Florida, as far as I know, has changed tax-wise recently. I wonder if the recent (~last 2+ years) IRS tax changes or other states' taxes have changed?

Or are some people finding they can often work from home and thus pick sunny, low/no tax locations where to live?

omni
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-18-2020, 10:16 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by omni550 View Post
Just read another article the other day about how Florida is becoming a haven for "tax refugees". This has been going on for a while with retirees.

Nothing major in Florida, as far as I know, has changed tax-wise recently. I wonder if the recent (~last 2+ years) IRS tax changes or other states' taxes have changed?

Or are some people finding they can often work from home and thus pick sunny, low/no tax locations where to live?

omni
Bolded by me - this statement I have witnessed with increasing frequency in my complex.
So many times when I meet someone new and ask about the commute, they state they are working from home, or was transferred to Florida and then still working from home.
Old 02-18-2020, 10:39 AM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by omni550 View Post

omni
What is this "work" you speak of? And why would you want to do it at home? (or at all?)
Old 02-18-2020, 11:15 AM   #24

I don't know about NE Florida, but SE Florida where we live continues to grow. Since we bought our condo in 2011 in Downtown West Palm Beach, six other high rise towers have gone up (mostly rental apartments) with now plans for four more. The downtown core of Fort Lauderdale is also going through it's transformation with more high rise condos popping up. Meanwhile, the construction cranes continue to pop up all over downtown Miami. Miami in my opinion, is becoming one of the nicest cities in North America. The transformation over the past two decades has been nothing short of stunning. The problem Florida faces is that affluent people are buying in the coastal areas leaving the interior areas to decline. You can drive a few miles in-land from the coast and you enter a battle zone. Nestled in those battle zones are gated communities with armed security and barriers to keep out people who don't reside there. The other problem Florida faces is the homeless situation which has become horrific although we have noticed that the police are doing more this year to keep the homeless away from the waterfront and marina in West Palm Beach. But they still come. It is becoming a place of stark contrasts. On one hand, you have three downtown cores (West Palm Beach, Fort Lauderdale, Miami) with modern high rise condos and apartments and a modern upscale transportation system (Brightline/Virgin trains) linking each other. But the homeless can be found sleeping around all this wonderful infrastructure.
Freedom56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 11:48 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

I have been to Tampa and Miami and am not a fan. Too hot even in December.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 11:48 AM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
... In 10 years time I can see Jacksonville stretching 5 or ten miles into the it's neighboring counties, it is has been going on for the last 5 years. I would consider it a MCOL area, but this is not deterring young families from moving down. We are not all old retirees anymore.
The average age of Florida residents, ranks at around 3rd or 4th as 'oldest' state. With more younger people migrating there, this will keep Florida from ever becoming the retirement capital of the nation.

After I retired we migrated to the oldest state. This year will be our 18th year of retirement, we are still happy with our decision to settle here.

My wife lived in Florida for a year before I met her, she has no desire to return to Florida.

A couple of the boats that I served on were homeported in Kings Bay Georgia, at that time to find the nearest bar we had to drive across the state line into Florida.

I have been on boats that surfaced at Port Canaveral, a few times. There were some great bars in that area.

This California boy is happy to be living out retirement in Maine.

Old 02-18-2020, 12:09 PM   #27

We are glad a lot of you old codgers dislike Florida, but make a point of telling us so. Who are YOU trying to convince? We are also glad to see younger folks moving here for the opportunities that are becoming abundant, evening out the age gaps.

As far as living under water, it is very unlikely to happen in our lifetime, in the meantime we will continue to enjoy the sunshine, obvious lack of snow, sleet and those awful bleak winter months. If it does happen in our later lifetime, well that is what good well thought out insurance is for.

Not to mention all that nice scenery that comes to the beach every weekend.
Old 02-18-2020, 12:13 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

I think some people need a change of seasons. I wouldn’t want to live in Southern California either.
Old 02-18-2020, 12:14 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
I think some people need a change of seasons. I wouldn’t want to live in Southern California either.
That is why we chose NE Florida, it does offer that to a point, without the nasty cold parts.
Old 02-18-2020, 06:24 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
We have 3 seasons.
Warm, Hot and Hotter.
Old 02-18-2020, 06:33 PM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

No one ever talks about the bugs in these threads. We have our share in Texas too.
Old 02-18-2020, 06:34 PM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

My wife and I purchased our home outside of St. Augustine last April in World Golf Villages. We purchased the model home and leased it back to the builder for 12 months. We take possession next month. We have family/friends that moved to the Ponte Vedra area 20 years ago. We looked at PV and Nocatee -- PV was a little expensive. Nocatee is beautiful, but traffic is becoming a real problem. There are a number of new communities off of 95 west of St. Augustine -- a lot of growth is coming for reasons the previous poster mentioned. I was surprised that our auto, homeowners insurance was significant less compared to our Baltimore suburb. We got more for our real estate in Florida vs. Maryland.

Heading down to St. Augustine this weekend towing my boat and other toys.
wyecrabber1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 07:14 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyecrabber1 View Post
Heading down to St. Augustine this weekend towing my boat and other toys.
The lighthouse has a nice boat ramp. Green Tea has the best Chinese take out in town.
Old 02-18-2020, 08:22 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyecrabber1 View Post
...but traffic is becoming a real problem.
Some Florida license plates sport the slogan ENDLESS SUMMER. I'm still waiting for the Florida DMV to release a plate adorned with ENDLESS TRAFFIC.
socca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 12:04 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
That’s cheap compared to Northern Nevada.
Wow... You are correct, all those CA folks must have bid up the home prices.
Old 02-19-2020, 06:13 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
You better get working on that list of reasons not to move to NE Florida....
Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
REWahoo has a list for Texas. Maybe you can borrow his and make it fit Fl.

Just a short while ago, in a thread about Florida, there was a long list of bizarre transgressive acts by "Florida man" and "Florida woman".

I thought that it would make a good deterrence to keep people from moving there.
Old 02-19-2020, 07:02 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by socca View Post
Some Florida license plates sport the slogan ENDLESS SUMMER. I'm still waiting for the Florida DMV to release a plate adorned with ENDLESS TRAFFIC.
Sounds Like SoCAL where we moved from in 2003. Main reason we left SoCAL was traffic! That and there were simply too many people everywhere. The HCOL never bothered us as one gets what one pays for. But the Traffic and sheer volume of people is a different story. What we do miss is the weather.
Old 02-19-2020, 07:03 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
No one ever talks about the bugs in these threads. We have our share in Texas too.
Both have poisonous snakes too.

JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 10:04 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Sunset, we live in a 1950’s ranch that is 1400 sq ft. It’s worth 330k. It’s a combination of California retirees and that 30 tech companies have moved in.
Old 02-19-2020, 10:31 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
I find that area interesting for another reason: it is in a near hurricane drought area. The geometry of the coastline nearly makes it hurricane proof for a hard direct hit. Yeah, you can get it from the backside, or maybe a glancing blow. But this area doesn't get the true straight on cat 3, 4, 5 hits that the lower penninsula, Gulf coast, SC or NC get
You have just cursed the NE Florida region, now it’s almost guaranteed they are going to get hit this year.
teejayevans is offline   Reply With Quote