Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-20-2020, 02:28 PM   #61
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 301
Place this home down in Florida and I might reconsider it:



As it turns out, New Hampshire has no sales or income tax and this past summer we actually drove past this particular house, checking out the town of Bedford on our way up to the white mountains. While the neighborhood is very nice, the property taxes are up there. Not the best place for a retirement budget.

In any case, the wine room is killer.
__________________
Seems to me that the corporation's race to the top is resulting in a race to the bottom for the employee's quality of life. FIRE can't come soon enough.
kjpliny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2020, 02:31 PM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
JoeWras's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 7,320
Oh, and since we were talking Palmetto Bugs, I want to provide a PSA. They are in North Carolina too. Don't come to NC if you can't stand the huge roaches. Thank you.
__________________
Retired Class of 2018


JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 03:00 PM   #63
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Historic Florida
Posts: 4,851
Honestly, we wish folks would avoid NE Fla. Probably classified as from Fernandina Beach to about New Smyrna Beach (First coast).

But whoever has been from Miami up through Ft Lauderdale through to Melbourne on the East Coast ,and from Naples up to Tampa on the West coast, will realize that those areas are already full. The 900 - 1000 people a day fleeing the over taxes frozen North sadly have to go somewhere. At the rate they are building homes as mentioned in the OP, in the next 10 years we will be just like those other areas mentioned.

As for the Palmetto Bugs, locals like them as easy to catch protein with a crunch..
__________________
"Never Argue With a Fool, Onlookers May Not Be Able To Tell the Difference." - Mark Twain
ShokWaveRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 04:47 AM   #64
gone traveling
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 435
I love Jacksonville. I've lived here since 1981. i've also lived in NC, Tenn, Va, NY city. I've been to every state east of the Missippi, and maybe half on the west side, including Alaska. Also made a couple trips into Canada and Mexico , and another dozen or so European countries. so my point is, i've seen ,how others live . I am very happy in jacksonvile.
kitesurfer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 07:01 AM   #65
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Historic Florida
Posts: 4,851
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitesurfer2 View Post
I love Jacksonville. I've lived here since 1981. i've also lived in NC, Tenn, Va, NY city. I've been to every state east of the Missippi, and maybe half on the west side, including Alaska. Also made a couple trips into Canada and Mexico , and another dozen or so European countries. so my point is, i've seen ,how others live . I am very happy in jacksonvile.
Hi Neighbor! A lot of folk like/love JAX, I find it a little crowded for my personal liking, and prefer to be a little further south, however we know a lot of folk that like you are very happy there. You certainly have ALL the services you could ever want or need on your doorstep. Not too mention some of the best healthcare access and providers in the country.

We do have to drive a little further than you do to get to Costco and Trader Joes though...
__________________
"Never Argue With a Fool, Onlookers May Not Be Able To Tell the Difference." - Mark Twain
ShokWaveRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 07:28 AM   #66
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Badger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,012
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
Hi Neighbor! A lot of folk like/love JAX, I find it a little crowded for my personal liking, and prefer to be a little further south, however we know a lot of folk that like you are very happy there. You certainly have ALL the services you could ever want or need on your doorstep. Not too mention some of the best healthcare access and providers in the country.

We do have to drive a little further than you do to get to Costco and Trader Joes though...

+1
We live directly east of Jax and only drive there when absolutely necessary. Lived in 6 states and 1 foreign country, been to all the states but 4 and traveled to 22 foreign countries and Jax is just average. It is getting more crowded with rapid overbuilding of apartments/condo/housing with the resulting increase in traffic. Good medical facilities, limited tourism so far, lots of gas stations, and lots of mediocre restaurants. It is trying to improve but it has been an uphill battle for many decades with a few back-slides. Sure beats having snow in the winter though.



Cheers!
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 08:21 AM   #67
gone traveling
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 435
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
+1
We live directly east of Jax and only drive there when absolutely necessary. Lived in 6 states and 1 foreign country, been to all the states but 4 and traveled to 22 foreign countries and Jax is just average. It is getting more crowded with rapid overbuilding of apartments/condo/housing with the resulting increase in traffic. Good medical facilities, limited tourism so far, lots of gas stations, and lots of mediocre restaurants. It is trying to improve but it has been an uphill battle for many decades with a few back-slides. Sure beats having snow in the winter though.



Cheers!
too funny. you live somewhere in Europe maybe? haha still love my little average home. I will never tell why.
kitesurfer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 09:48 AM   #68
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Historic Florida
Posts: 4,851
No one will be moving here today! It is a mere 50 Degrees F at the beach. HATE That!
__________________
"Never Argue With a Fool, Onlookers May Not Be Able To Tell the Difference." - Mark Twain
ShokWaveRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 09:42 PM   #69
Moderator Emeritus
aja8888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: The Woodlands, TX
Posts: 12,625
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
No one will be moving here today! It is a mere 50 Degrees F at the beach. HATE That!
You have just received our cold front of two days ago!
__________________
Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth...philosopher Mike Tyson
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 09:52 AM   #70
Full time employment: Posting here.
misshathaway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 613
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
No one will be moving here today! It is a mere 50 Degrees F at the beach. HATE That!
This is not why i moved to Florida. I came down here with shorts, flip-flops and jeans. Had to rebuy leggings, a couple of hoodies, a HAT and GLOVES for running. It was 48 when I left this morning. Florida wind, I swear even at 15mph with temps in the low 50s, is brutal. Rude awakening.

You can so tell who is a native and who is not. While I'm trying to move in my snowsuit other runners are out in shorts and a t-shirt, maybe a hat. They know that if you wait an hour or so things will get warmer. There were probably people in the heated outdoor pool but I can't even think about that without getting cold.
misshathaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 10:07 AM   #71
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjpliny View Post
Not sure where we'll retire to, but I don't think Florida will be it. One thing that those zillow listings reminded me of is how much I despise newly built large homes squashed onto tiny plots where you can basically almost touch your neighbors house. They should be building on 2 acre lots with lots of privacy and green space...less noise. No way will I consider moving to sardines-ville. Not a chance.
Couldnít agree more about houses being shoehorned into tiny lots, but Iím pretty sure itís not just in FL. Almost all of the new developments we see are just row after row of houses sandwiched together.

We have an acre and from where our house is positioned on our street, we have a pretty nice view of the surrounding hills. One of the things we cherish is the ďspaceĒ that we have from our neighbors. It would be a difficult adjustment moving to a smaller lot with the only view being my neighbors house.
Yoheadden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 09:17 PM   #72
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 3,395
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
We liked Palm Springs also, but missed the beach vibe. Otherwise we would be there too.


Yeah, I understand that. So far, when we miss the beach town we lived in before, we just go there and stay a few days. Itís only a 2 hour drive. The mountains and hiking in the desert are awesome! We did keep our beachfront condo though, just in case we decide otherwise down the road.
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 05:46 PM   #73
Dryer sheet aficionado
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Macedon
Posts: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by omni550 View Post
Well, with 1000 people moving (= relocating) to Florida DAILY, there have to be places for all of them to live.

Here in SWFL, I just saw an article in the paper this morning about how plans for expanding retail sites (like Costco, Sam's Club, other major national stores) are drying up. In fact, sites in Naples that had been approved for these retail expansions are now sitting undeveloped. Residential developers are quickly snapping them up and building high-density housing like apartments and condos.

omni
Punta Gorda is a smaller town with manageable traffic. But a large Lenar development is filling up quickly and a large Allegiant resort will be opening in just over a year.
Bdroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 06:07 PM   #74
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 727
Quote:
Originally Posted by Which Roger View Post
No need to worry about me doing anything but move along. I'm solidly in the "I just don't get why anyone would want to live in Florida" camp.



Same here.
meleana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 06:16 PM   #75
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 727
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoheadden View Post
Couldnít agree more about houses being shoehorned into tiny lots, but Iím pretty sure itís not just in FL. Almost all of the new developments we see are just row after row of houses sandwiched together.

We have an acre and from where our house is positioned on our street, we have a pretty nice view of the surrounding hills. One of the things we cherish is the ďspaceĒ that we have from our neighbors. It would be a difficult adjustment moving to a smaller lot with the only view being my neighbors house.

We just left our 32 year old colonial in NY which was on 10 1/2 acres in the woods (set 700 feet back from the country road), for a development in the NH lakes region where 85 homes are on 10 1/2 acres! Yup- sandwiched together on leased lots (with no rent-HOA owned- unique). Why would we do that?


Because as we are retired the isolation of our former home was not good. No friends or family nearby there either.



I still miss our former home- as it was big and much nicer than the new build cottage we are living in now and the cost of this little home was as much as we could get for our former home yet is half the size! Plus only having tree views from our bedrooms; the other views are the walls of the homes around us, which I have had to put up window film for privacy. In our other home, never even had curtains.


Not to mention right now construction going on all around us as the development is not complete. Not a 55 + community but a bit like it with weekenders and snowbirds and some full timers like us.


Still, I think in the long run this was the right decision. Our son lives and works nearby and we needed to get out of NY. Even if we end up hating it, no way will I ever go through moving again. It was hell.
meleana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 06:17 PM   #76
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,389
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdroc View Post
Punta Gorda is a smaller town with manageable traffic. But a large Lenar development is filling up quickly and a large Allegiant resort will be opening in just over a year.
The number of homes for sale in the 33950 zip code is astonishing. Don't take my word for it - take a peek here: Punta Gorda homes for sale

Perhaps the folks who moved to Punta Gorda to escape the Manatee County / Sarasota County madness have discovered that the madness has followed them down there?
socca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 06:20 PM   #77
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 727
Quote:
Originally Posted by misshathaway View Post
This is not why i moved to Florida. I came down here with shorts, flip-flops and jeans. Had to rebuy leggings, a couple of hoodies, a HAT and GLOVES for running. It was 48 when I left this morning. Florida wind, I swear even at 15mph with temps in the low 50s, is brutal. Rude awakening.

You can so tell who is a native and who is not. While I'm trying to move in my snowsuit other runners are out in shorts and a t-shirt, maybe a hat. They know that if you wait an hour or so things will get warmer. There were probably people in the heated outdoor pool but I can't even think about that without getting cold.

Pretty funny! Here in NH at 45 degrees some guys had shorts on and a construction worker was shirtless! To me with the sun out it felt like spring. My husband got his camping chair and sat out on the front porch. LOL!


One of my favorite things when I go to our timeshare resort in Vermont is swimming in the heated outdoor pool when it is snowing! Or in the Fall when the leaves are falling down into it! Heck- I put my floaty in an ice cold mountain lake every year in the White Mountains. I could stay on it for hours- my legs and torso covered with water!
meleana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 06:25 PM   #78
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Back woods of Fennario
Posts: 1,113
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
Both have poisonous snakes too.
...can't....help...myself.......

Snakes (a very few) are venomous. Mushrooms (more than a few) are poisonous.
__________________
"Time wounds all heels...." - Groucho Marx
LRDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 06:46 PM   #79
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Port Orange
Posts: 63
We are a little farther south in the Daytona Beach area. What I see as the biggest issue in Florida is the un-contained Developers. They own the political system. Local governments don’t control costs, but constantly try to grow the tax base.

Look around at the aquifer recharge areas. Many are being paved over. Parking lots, Appartments, roads, etc. Viera near Melbourne is a good example. Nothing 20 years ago, solid coverage now and spreading.

There is already salt/brackish water incursion in areas where pumping exceeds recharge.

There are lots of other issues, but ultimately this one will control the local growth. My opinion.

Developers here level acres of trees and fill and compact wetlands. The legislature just approved a new toll/interstate corridor down the west side of the state in the Tampa to south GA line. The only reason was to allow the developers more opportunities.

BTW, I’m not much of an Environmentalist, just hate to see the state ruined.
Global Wizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 06:52 PM   #80
Dryer sheet aficionado
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Macedon
Posts: 33
I think you always see a lot of homes for sale in many parts of Florida because of the average age of the occupants. A 70 year old couple retires to Florida, one spouse dies, the other moves back north near their kids.
Bdroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SEConference Expanding Soon? Real soon? mickeyd Other topics 9 08-15-2011 05:47 PM
Soon ... Very Soon Traxless Hi, I am... 10 03-26-2011 04:24 PM
FI (not sure) RE (sure) and 2 questions. dandetour FIRE and Money 8 01-26-2009 03:57 PM

» Quick Links

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:46 AM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.