If NE Florida is not Full, it sure will be soon!

... In 10 years time I can see Jacksonville stretching 5 or ten miles into the it's neighboring counties, it is has been going on for the last 5 years. I would consider it a MCOL area, but this is not deterring young families from moving down. We are not all old retirees anymore.

The average age of Florida residents, ranks at around 3rd or 4th as 'oldest' state. With more younger people migrating there, this will keep Florida from ever becoming the retirement capital of the nation.

After I retired we migrated to the oldest state. This year will be our 18th year of retirement, we are still happy with our decision to settle here.

My wife lived in Florida for a year before I met her, she has no desire to return to Florida.

A couple of the boats that I served on were homeported in Kings Bay Georgia, at that time to find the nearest bar we had to drive across the state line into Florida.

I have been on boats that surfaced at Port Canaveral, a few times. There were some great bars in that area.

This California boy is happy to be living out retirement in Maine.

:)

We are glad a lot of you old codgers dislike Florida, but make a point of telling us so. Who are YOU trying to convince? We are also glad to see younger folks moving here for the opportunities that are becoming abundant, evening out the age gaps.

As far as living under water, it is very unlikely to happen in our lifetime, in the meantime we will continue to enjoy the sunshine, obvious lack of snow, sleet and those awful bleak winter months. If it does happen in our later lifetime, well that is what good well thought out insurance is for.

Not to mention all that nice scenery that comes to the beach every weekend.

Last edited:
I think some people need a change of seasons. I wouldn’t want to live in Southern California either.

My wife and I purchased our home outside of St. Augustine last April in World Golf Villages. We purchased the model home and leased it back to the builder for 12 months. We take possession next month. We have family/friends that moved to the Ponte Vedra area 20 years ago. We looked at PV and Nocatee -- PV was a little expensive. Nocatee is beautiful, but traffic is becoming a real problem. There are a number of new communities off of 95 west of St. Augustine -- a lot of growth is coming for reasons the previous poster mentioned. I was surprised that our auto, homeowners insurance was significant less compared to our Baltimore suburb. We got more for our real estate in Florida vs. Maryland.

Heading down to St. Augustine this weekend towing my boat and other toys.

...but traffic is becoming a real problem.

Some Florida license plates sport the slogan ENDLESS SUMMER. I'm still waiting for the Florida DMV to release a plate adorned with ENDLESS TRAFFIC. :popcorn:

You better get working on that list of reasons not to move to NE Florida....

REWahoo has a list for Texas. Maybe you can borrow his and make it fit Fl.:D

Just a short while ago, in a thread about Florida, there was a long list of bizarre transgressive acts by "Florida man" and "Florida woman".

I thought that it would make a good deterrence to keep people from moving there. :D

Some Florida license plates sport the slogan ENDLESS SUMMER. I'm still waiting for the Florida DMV to release a plate adorned with ENDLESS TRAFFIC. :popcorn:

Sounds Like SoCAL where we moved from in 2003. Main reason we left SoCAL was traffic! That and there were simply too many people everywhere. The HCOL never bothered us as one gets what one pays for. But the Traffic and sheer volume of people is a different story. What we do miss is the weather.

Last edited:
Sunset, we live in a 1950’s ranch that is 1400 sq ft. It’s worth 330k. It’s a combination of California retirees and that 30 tech companies have moved in.

I find that area interesting for another reason: it is in a near hurricane drought area. The geometry of the coastline nearly makes it hurricane proof for a hard direct hit. Yeah, you can get it from the backside, or maybe a glancing blow. But this area doesn't get the true straight on cat 3, 4, 5 hits that the lower penninsula, Gulf coast, SC or NC get

You have just cursed the NE Florida region, now it’s almost guaranteed they are going to get hit this year.

No one ever talks about the bugs in these threads. We have our share in Texas too. :D
Not only are there "bugs" (2-2.5" cockroaches, scorpions, disease carrying mosquitoes, etc.) but also coyotes, poisonous snakes, and alligators (sometimes referred to as mobile speed-bumps) all over Florida. Then you have all the tourists who have forgotten how to drive, the hurricanes/nor'easters, and 90+ humidity.

I've lived here since 1960 and my wife since 1950.

Florida ain't for wimps.

Cheers!

Just a short while ago, in a thread about Florida, there was a long list of bizarre transgressive acts by "Florida man" and "Florida woman".

I thought that it would make a good deterrence to keep people from moving there. :D

I am just now listening to my favorite funny Florida fiction writer Tim Dorsey's "Naked Came the Florida Man." It's the 23rd in his series about Robin Hood-ish serial murderer Serge Storm who drives all around Florida and kills in very creative ways only the folks who have it coming. The plots have all blended together, but still funny. We don't have a Florida road trip planned this year (we are going twice, but flying this time)--we usually listen to them while driving there.

Last edited:
I am just now listening to my favorite funny Florida fiction writer Tim Dorsey's "Naked Came the Florida Man."

I love Serge and Coleman, and I've read all of them, but haven't seen this one yet. Thanks for the heads up!

Florida ain't for wimps.

+10 We could not agree more. So... All the whiners, complainers and weather wimps who are too thin skinned to stand a little humidity, and all those scaredy-cats who are afraid of a few critters should keep well away, and refrain from posting the same old things time after time just for the sake of it, we heard the first time. Florida is better off without them, we have enough of our own. :D

Last edited:
I'm solidly in the "I just don't get why anyone would want to live in Florida" camp.

Not only are there "bugs" (2-2.5" cockroaches, scorpions, disease carrying mosquitoes, etc.) but also coyotes, poisonous snakes, and alligators (sometimes referred to as mobile speed-bumps) all over Florida. Then you have all the tourists who have forgotten how to drive, the hurricanes/nor'easters, and 90+ humidity.

+1000

Unfortunately for me, I have a number of close relatives who live in FL, so I have to endure it for a few long weekends every year or two. Otherwise, I'd never set foot there. Fascinated by it and loved it as a kid, but those days are long gone.

Not only are there "bugs" (2-2.5" cockroaches, scorpions, disease carrying mosquitoes, etc.) but also coyotes, poisonous snakes, and alligators (sometimes referred to as mobile speed-bumps) all over Florida.
Cheers!

OTOH Palmetto bugs make excellent cat toys.

Florida ain't for wimps.

Cheers!

In my 2.5 years here, I haven't seen a scorpion yet, but who knows....

I am just now listening to my favorite funny Florida fiction writer Tim Dorsey's "Naked Came the Florida Man." It's the 23rd in his series about Robin Hood-ish serial murderer Serge Storm who drives all around Florida and kills in very creative ways only the folks who have it coming. The plots have all blended together, but still funny. We don't have a Florida road trip planned this year (we are going twice, but flying this time)--we usually listen to them while driving there.

A funny fiction about a serial murderer? Do I want to check this out? :rolleyes:

A funny fiction about a serial murderer? Do I want to check this out? :rolleyes:

There is not a lot of socially redeeming value to these books but they are laugh out loud funny--the victims are usually scammers of poor or old or very young people. Maybe an acquired taste: “Dorsey’s novels are unfailingly entertaining... Serge is, hands down, the most smoothly charming, irrepressibly goofy, joyfully out-of-his-mind series lead in contemporary mystery fiction.... Don’t miss this one.” (Booklist )

I have never actually read any of these books but have listened to all of them (thanks, Public Library downloadable audiobooks!) and they make me look forward to a nice long road trip.

Back
Top Bottom