Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

If you were to buy a kayak, as a semi-novice, what would you buy?
Old 06-24-2018, 06:18 PM   #1

If you were to buy a kayak, as a semi-novice, what would you buy?

Hello!

Hubby and I live in FL. We recently agreed to do a 2 week housesit in Anna Maria Island. We are thinking of purchasing a kayak to use on this vacation and for future fun in FL. We both have kayaked (sit on top) and canoed extensively, but not white water.

Goals of kayak use:

1) explore coastal areas not prone to alligators
2) possibly fish from the kayak...although not sure about this yet
3) open to single kayaks and 2-man kayaks
4) easy to transport on top of a Honda Civic (would need to purchase some kind of rack)
5) reasonable to store

If I can purchase one second-hand at a cheaper price that would be preferable.
Thanks!

(55, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 59. FIRED 12/31/19!)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2018, 06:44 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I think I would rent a kayak (or a few different kinds of kayaks) during your housesit trip to narrow down what you would want to buy. Lots of different kinds to choose from.

Probably need a kayak in the 12' range or shorter to fit on a Honda Civic.

12 footers are easy to store - I suspend my 12'er from my garage ceiling in winter.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 07:16 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

I would suggest a charter fishing trip first, so you can try kayaking and fishing.

1. Haven't seen any gators on the west coast, although I'm sure they are around. I think there are more on East coast and inland. They don't generally like salt water. But a charter may be able to steer you clear.
2. Hobie is great for fishing and kayaking. It has peddles, so you're hands free to fish. Much faster and easier to cover a lot of distance. Better in winds and current. Try to find a charter with Hobie.
3. Do the two singles. It will be easier on your marriage We did the double, then switched to singles.
4. I think two Hobies with a properly fitted Thule rack would work.
5. My wife designed a simple chain set to hang the kayaks from the garage ceiling.

There are lots of used kayaks for sale.

Good luck!
48Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 07:18 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

I would definitely go with a SOT, your chooses are;
8' to 10' smaller, more nimble. lighter easier to load -- but not as stable
10' - 13', wider beam more stable, heavier -- requires stronger stroke. Can be difficult to steer with a strong current/wind.

Go find a local outfitter -- most will rent and recommend configurations. Do you want to paddle or pedal. If your fishing, pedaling has it's benefits. Make sure you get a comfortable/supportative seat. It may cost you a few extra dollars to purchase locally, but we'll worth it.

Start out in protective waters, a lot of good fishing in that area.

Check out, Kayak Fishing Forums
wyecrabber1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 07:21 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

+1 on trying before buying. Our local Eastern Mountain Sports rents kayaks. I’ve seen LL Bean advertise days to come to a lake to try their kayaks.

Once you get an idea of what you want, it’s worth looking for used boats.
Philliefan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 07:30 PM   #6

DH used to strap 2 ocean kayaks to the top of his Honda Del Sol! Quite a sight on the road as they were longer than the car. The next car didn’t have anywhere on the front bumper to tie down, our excursions had to be more local, no highways .
ocean view is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 08:08 PM   #7
gone traveling

Wife and I purchased two Manatee 10 kayaks from LL Bean years ago after trying several on one of their excursions. They have been lots of relatively-inexpensive fun since.

I can lift them onto our roof rack carriers myself, although my wife helps when we go together.

They are terrific for flat water, and not too bad on a calm ocean. I wouldn't use them in high winds or waves.

We can store them in our small garage.
joeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 08:08 PM   #8

Agree with others who suggested you try out various kayaks before deciding what to purchase. In our area, one of the big outdoor gear stores has an annual kayak demo day, where you can try out all the various kayaks they sell before buying. I do a lot of kayaking, and have used both the sit-on-top and sit-inside types. I ended up buying the sit-inside (a 12-foot Perception), and I love it. I do a lot of fishing from the kayak, and also paddling on rivers and smaller lakes. My 12-foot kayak is relatively light (important to me), and transports fairly easily on top of the car, or in the back of a pickup. I have also used the Hobie foot-pedal kayaks, and although they are very nice, they're just too heavy to move around easily and transport easily. They're also quite expensive.
RAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 08:26 PM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

You can probably buy 3 or 4 kayaks off of Craigslist. Then sell the ones you don't like.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 08:32 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Definitely would recommend two singles over a double. Doubles are called "divorce boats" for a reason.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 09:03 PM   #11
gone traveling

Saw some inflatable kayaks on Amazon for $50-$100 with 4+ star reviews
97guns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 09:57 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97guns View Post
Saw some inflatable kayaks on Amazon for $50-$100 with 4+ star reviews

I have an inflatable and like it, it's a Sea Eagle 2 person kayak, picked it up on craigslist for $80. I've taken it with me on many road trips that I would never have bothered if it was a hardshell. Easily fits in a duffle style bag and takes me about 20 mins to setup. There are obviously some performance short comings when compared to a hardshell but if your main purpose is to leisurely paddle around and enjoy the water and scenery they hold up well. I've never fished on my inflatable, sits a little to low, but have used it to take my fishing gear to different spots along the shoreline.
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 10:06 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
This time of year I see 10' kayaks on sale at lots of stores around $140 as a low price.

I would buy a sit in kayak, as honestly I'd be afraid of a shark or gator bumping a kayak I sit on top of and me falling off. Plus its so easy to get wet with the sit on top ones, as water pops up the drain holes on some (I was told).
Old 06-24-2018, 10:14 PM   #14

I would recommend first renting one or two different kayak types, then plan on looking on Craigslist to buy. You can get a decent second-hand kayak for 50% off list. For what you are looking for, it should suit you well. Check a kayak and make sure it's not warped too badly (leaving a kayak out in the sun will distort the plastic body after a while). There are differences between the various styles and types of kayaks, and each model/brand behaves differently in the water.

Yes, divorce boats are named that for a reason. I recommend whomever has the "power stroke" to sit in the front, and have the person in the back match their cadence. That is the only way you will achieve harmony! (I speak from experience, having paddled 340 miles in the MR340 sitting in the back, with a paddling partner that caused a bit of frustration). Also, test out the paddles, and splurge on those - if you do any significant amount of paddling, spending $200 more on upgrading your paddle to a lighter one will be magnitudes more noticeable than spending $200 more on your kayak. I'd suggest buying a new carbon fiber paddle, rather than a used one (since you don't know what damage a carbon fiber paddle has been subjected to), unless you aren't doing much paddling, then just go for the lightest one you can get for your budget.

I haven't personally used a Hobie, but have seen others paddle in them. I get the impression that a Hobie is not a lightweight item, so be sure to test it out first before buying sight unseen.
Old 06-24-2018, 10:24 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Definitely would recommend two singles over a double. Doubles are called "divorce boats" for a reason.
Another benefit of getting two kayaks is you can get different qualities or specialties. It’s another trick to save money. This way, if you’re going solo, you can grab the better one. And you can still alternate kayaks when going together so everyone gets the fun one.

DW and I are the 1-in-a-dozen who don’t squabble when kayaking in a tandem, but I’ve had some spats with good roommates in a previous life.
Old 06-25-2018, 06:15 AM   #16

Great information! Much to ponder and evaluate. Thanks all!

(55, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 59. FIRED 12/31/19!)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 06:37 AM   #17

We just bought a couple of sit-ons, but youngest son went on an overnight kayak trip and we borrowed a neighbor's sit in, so he could stash a dry bag with sleeping bag, etc. If you are going to take long trips where you'll need to pack gear/lunch, this might be a good choice.

I like sit-ons because I'm a bit leery of spiders, and its hard to see where your toes are going in the sit-in kind. Also, one of my kids turned over a sit-in kayak and after it filled up with water it was really hard to get the water out of it- I don't know what we would have done if we'd have been out on a trip somewhere when that happened. I am only 5 feet tall, so I use a 10 ft kayak because its light enough that I can get it in the water it myself.
Old 06-25-2018, 07:06 AM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

If I was down at our place in Bradenton I'd let you borrow mine. But since I'm not there... go to the Surfer Bus on Manatee Avenue and rent one (you have to pay on-line). he has 13' sit on singles or 15 tandem. Or Kayak Jack in Robinson Preserve. Both places will give you a good experience and help you decide.

I have a 12' and a 13' that I put on the top of my Kia Soul and have no problem getting them up there. (only one at a time) Make sure whatever you buy is in the 50-60 lbs. range.

Lots of fun places to paddle in that area. PM me if you want more suggestions. Enjoy.
Revlefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 07:10 AM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Hobie makes a kayak that you can pedal (like a recumbent bike), paddle or do both. They are pricey but we have had a double for about 7 years and like it very much. The kayak is steered by a rudder controlled by the person in the rear. The pedal drives are very durable and are easily removable. You can even add a sail and other extras.
phil1ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 07:11 AM   #20

We have a Malibu Two kayak that is a tandem. DW simply does not have the arm strength to paddle any great distance, so it works out best for our needs.
I also echo those who recommend that you rent before buying to determine what works best for you. Also rent several times to see if you are really interested in kayaking. There are lots of nice and newer looking kayaks for sale in my area that were probably purchased by someone who fell in love with the concept of kayaking and became bored after doing it a few times.
If you do decide to purchase, I strongly recommend buying the lightest carbon paddle that you can afford. A light weight makes a huge difference in how long you can paddle, especially as you get older.
cbo111 is offline   Reply With Quote