I'm going to resign tomorrow - this could be FIRE

Maurice

Full time employment: Posting here.
I thought its only right that I should tell you guys this first - only my wife knows now.

I'm going to resign tomorrow morning.

There's a good chance this is FIRE, although I'm not entirely sure yet. I will certainly take the rest of 2008 off, and spend a lot of that time focused on refining our future plan. Its possible that I will get another j*b early next year and put in another 2-3 years, but there's a good possibility that early next year we'll be selling our NY condo and moving to a cheaper locale for a glorious and simple life of leisure and pursuit of the arts.

I'll probably negotiate a longish (~2 month) transition, which will allow my boss time to bring in a replacement (I even know who he'd bring in, long story) and for me to accomplish some transition. Contractually I could leave in 30 days but I want to keep bridges intact and I consider my boss a friend.

I'll keep you posted.

Good luck Maurice. With your recent health issues you'll probably need some time to work things out.

R

Wow. Is this coincidental to your recent events, or cause and effect? Or both?

Either way, best wishes and congratulations.

Good luck

My last day of work is May 21st - 9.5 more work days
Work knows verbally but no written notice yet. Having foot surgery May 22 and want to see my outcome before I turn anything in.
My ER date isnt until mid July and yes I feel too like they already have someone in mind.

Good luck with your decision. I hope you are able to get some resolution to your health issue and insurance coverage.

Thanks everyone, I felt the knot in my stomach untie itself last week as soon as I finalized the decision to quit.

Rich - My plan has long been to call it quits within the next couple of years. This year, even before my diagnosis, I had started thinking about accelerating the plan, including moving out of NYC to make it easier on us. Having said that, I can fairly say that this new situation clinched it.

Congratulation Maurice.

There's a good chance this is FIRE, although I'm not entirely sure yet. I will certainly take the rest of 2008 off, and spend a lot of that time focused on refining our future plan. Its possible that I will get another j*b early next year and put in another 2-3 years, but there's a good possibility that early next year we'll be selling our NY condo and moving to a cheaper locale for a glorious and simple life of leisure and pursuit of the arts.

I think this is exactly the right attitude

Good luck. Enjoy the time off.

Sorry to hear about the health issues.

Congrats and good luck with the time off.

Congrats Maurice. Maybe you can negotiate a little severance by staying that extra 30 days. You stay for 30 days an extra 30 days of pay.

Best wishes to you, Maurice, and congratulations on your decision to RE.

Thanks everybody. I feel great.

I had the conversation around noon today, had lunch, and came home :D

My boss was very understanding, and told me I could come back at any time (of course there's never any guarantee there will be a decent role open, but still its nice to hear!)

I'm probably going to give 60 days, and leave right before the 4th of July.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom