Old 03-11-2014, 07:40 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck
I would imagine that at least 1/3 of us are getting even closer to being dead."

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo;1425838

Make that all of us...
I thought it would be comforting to some if I rounded down.
redduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2014, 09:01 PM   #22
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
I was blessed with diabetes at age 6. I had a life expectancy of about 45. At 42 and very close to death, I got a kidney and pancreas transplant and have been happily doing great ever since.

The combination of diabetes and transplant drugs gave me vascular dementia which severely affected my short term memory in that I have great difficulty learning new things. Testing revealed that I learn at one quarter the rate I used to. That's not fast enough to keep a job as a real time programmer. I went out on disability at age 45.

So I am living a happy life free from work but getting ever closer to being dead. This is the first birthday that ever bothered me.

Don't get me wrong, I am very happy to be here. My only regret is I miss my beloved dog/daughter Emily Ann, the black lab. I can't get another dog due to fear of going through this pain again. She passed away five years ago and I am still not over her. She was our only child.

We are leaving for twelve days of vacation in Ft Myers, Fl tomorrow. Eight days of fun and four days of driving. We do nature related stuff and eat a lot and go to spring training games. This year's are Yankees vs Red Sox and Twins vs Nationals.

Still happily here after 18 years of transplant life,

Mike D.

Happy Birthday and I hope you enjoy many, many more. My aunt had brittle type 1 and lived to 77! She had health issues but enjoyed her grand kids and sons company until her last days.

We too lost our dog babies, one lived nearly to 18! I hesitated to getting another one but my DH convinced me to get one. Then he came home with a rescue that adopted us. The sweetest friends you will ever have. Emily Ann would want you have another dog in the pack.
Vireo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 09:03 PM   #23

Happy Birthday ! Thank you for your inspiring story. Enjoy the games and try not to miss the snow too much !
Hebrews 12:11

ER'd in June 2015 at age 52. Initial WR 3%. 50/40/10 (Equity/Bond/Short Term) AA.
Live And Learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 05:20 AM   #24

You realize more than most...how great life can be. This could happen to any one of us, too. Or cancer. Right now. I do believe each of us has a path in life that unfolds as we live it. And not necessarily random. Your story is inspiring.

That's why being retired and free is so important. Most people don't get it.

I am 56. My 50th hit me the way 60 did you. And I understand.
Old 03-12-2014, 06:37 AM   #25

Happy Birthday! May you have enough!
Old 03-15-2014, 10:20 PM   #26

Happy belated birthday and I hope that you enjoy your trip!

I will be 61 on Monday and my father died at 61. I can remember thinking that he was old. I am sure that people in their 20's and 30's think the same thing of me. I am very thankful for every year older that I get.
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 01:37 PM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Way to go MikeD!

I'm not far behind...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 01:44 PM   #28
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The dual transplant has so far given you a lease of 18 years of life. You are blessed, as are other posters who have overcome medical difficulties. May it continue for many more years. Cheers!

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote